Bad SATA Channel or WHS Issue while running chkdsk? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry, not sure what to call this topic! I have a home built WHS and do ot have PP1 installed. I have been having lots of issues with my WHS locking up. Looking at a log file with the last timestamp prior ot the hang, I noticed that WHS was performing a chkdsk, but didn't get all the way thru. So I started to use chkdsk for some debugging. I successfully performed an individual chkdsk on each of my six drives (via chkdsk c:\fs\Disk-Identifier and chkdsk cSmile. However, when I ran chkdsk d:, everything would hang. I noticed that it also hung at about the same spot that it did in the log-file. So that tells me there is something when all the drives are pooled together. There are two PATA and four SATA drives, with one of the SATA drives being SYS.

One thing else I noticed in the log files is lots of errors with my MP3s. Suspecting a corruption eror due to the known WHS bug, I removed them all from the Music share. This was a painstaking process, as many files had "Invalid File Handle" errors.

I had recently installed a new drive, and noticed that the migrator had yet to move any files there. I suspect this is because of the autorun chkdsk hanging the system?? Anyways, I removed the drive under "server storage", which was successful. I then powered down and removed the drive. Upon rebooting, I ran server diagnostics under the WHS Toolkit. [Side Note: I don't know where this file is located at, as I wanted to cut-and-paste some items, but it wouldn't let me!]While looking thru the generated report file, I noticed that many of the MP3s that I previously deleted were still there. No errors were reported, it was just that they shouldn't have been, as they were all deleted! They were located in the c:\fs\<Letter> drives. They were all under the Music share. I tried rebooting, but to no avail.

I have a couple of questions from this excellent community. 1) How do I get rid of these old files which I already deleted? I tried to delete them manually, but WHS would not let me. 2) Any suggestions on how to proceeds with debugging this chkdsk issue on d: mount? Like I said before, running chkdsk on individual drives did not pose any problem.

Friday, June 27, 2008 6:56 PM

Answers

• It sounds to me like your system drive is failing. I would obtain the manufacturer's tools (Seagate has SeaTools, for example) to run a test of the drive. If the tool offers the option of long or short scans, I would go with the long scan, as it's likely to be more thorough.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 8:25 PM

All replies

• It sounds to me like your system drive is failing. I would obtain the manufacturer's tools (Seagate has SeaTools, for example) to run a test of the drive. If the tool offers the option of long or short scans, I would go with the long scan, as it's likely to be more thorough.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    It sounds to me like your system drive is failing. I would obtain the manufacturer's tools (Seagate has SeaTools, for example) to run a test of the drive. If the tool offers the option of long or short scans, I would go with the long scan, as it's likely to be more thorough.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of pulling individual drives from the computer and running chkdsk on them via a USB enclosure on a XP computer. So far, I've found nothing. I will try that seagate test like you suggested.

Any ideas why when I delete files, they don't really get deleted? With the drives pulled, the data is still there where it was originally.

Friday, June 27, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  bondisdead wrote:

Ken Warren wrote:
    It sounds to me like your system drive is failing. I would obtain the manufacturer's tools (Seagate has SeaTools, for example) to run a test of the drive. If the tool offers the option of long or short scans, I would go with the long scan, as it's likely to be more thorough.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of pulling individual drives from the computer and running chkdsk on them via a USB enclosure on a XP computer. So far, I've found nothing. I will try that seagate test like you suggested.

Any ideas why when I delete files, they don't really get deleted? With the drives pulled, the data is still there where it was originally.

Just an update. I have been testing the various drives from my WHS standalone on another computer. After running chkdsk on the DATA partition of the system drive, I came across some errors. I tried to use a chkdsk /r, but the tool locked up. I then used the Seagate Seatools (as it's a Seagate drive), and ran both a long and short test. The short passed, but the long test failed. Looks like I've got a bad drive. Crazy the symptons that show up leading to this problem. I am currently re-imagiing the drive to another, and will see if things get better.

Thanks for your suggestion, and quick diagnosis, Ken!

Saturday, June 28, 2008 12:58 AM
  •  bondisdead wrote:
     bondisdead wrote:

Ken Warren wrote:

Just an update. I have been testing the various drives from my WHS standalone on another computer. After running chkdsk on the DATA partition of the system drive, I came across some errors. I tried to use a chkdsk /r, but the tool locked up. I then used the Seagate Seatools (as it's a Seagate drive), and ran both a long and short test. The short passed, but the long test failed. Looks like I've got a bad drive. Crazy the symptons that show up leading to this problem. I am currently re-imagiing the drive to another, and will see if things get better.

Thanks for your suggestion, and quick diagnosis, Ken!

Responding to my own post, kind of pathetic! ;-) I performed the clone using Acronis TI11 rescue disk and installed this drive only into the WHS on the same SATA channel as before (per instructions in another thread about cloning). The server booted up, but it complained VERY LOUDLY about things being messed up. Backup service not running, missing drives, etc. In addition, while it did boot up (which indicates to me that it was running off of the new cloned identically sized drive), the WHS console did not report a system drive being present. It actually added new hardware, and indicated that the drive was available to be added! It was confused enough that it didn't recognize that it was running off of that drive.

Any ideas of how I can proceed w/out performing an install? I don't see why this cloning doesn't work. Maybe I need to delete some files on the drive before hand that tell it the type of drive the sys is installed on?

Meanwhile, if I do a reinstall, can I do this and maintain the DATA partion on the drive?

Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Users have not always had good luck cloning their system drive, whether onto the same size or a larger disk. In your case the process is complicated by the fact that you have a failing drive to clone from. It's very possible that the damage on the old drive includes sectors that are part of critical Windows Home Server files.

You can try a server reinstallation, but you can't count on that to preserve data on your D: partition. Your best bet is to remove all the partitions on the new system drive (note that you will lose everything on that drive), then do your server reinstallation. You'll need to leave your other drives connected. This will take a very long time, as with a new system drive Windows Home Server will need to rebuild all tombstones.
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Looks like I'll have to do a re-installation, as I'm getting nothing but errors. If I put the original drive back in the system I get the green light that the system is stable. I did manage to fix all chkdsk errors, but it still fails the Long DST in the seatools test. I can deal with manually recovering data from the DATA partition on the main drive, but what about all the other drives in my system? I'd rather not copy all that over drive by drive. You are saying that there is a way for WHS to just "see" these other drives with the partitions already there?

Sunday, June 29, 2008 5:53 PM
  •  bondisdead wrote:

Looks like I'll have to do a re-installation, as I'm getting nothing but errors. If I put the original drive back in the system I get the green light that the system is stable. I did manage to fix all chkdsk errors, but it still fails the Long DST in the seatools test. I can deal with manually recovering data from the DATA partition on the main drive, but what about all the other drives in my system? I'd rather not copy all that over drive by drive. You are saying that there is a way for WHS to just "see" these other drives with the partitions already there?

Yes.  When you boot from the DVD, you want to choose Server Reinstallation (do not do New Installation as that will format everything).  It will reinstall WHS on the primary drive, but leave all of the other drives alone.  At the end of the Reinstallation process, it will go through and re-create the tombstones for the files on the other drives in your server automatically.  NOTE:  This process can take a while and it may appear that the install is frozen (since there is nothing on-screen that tells you what's going on).  Just let it run.  Once it's all done, just re-create your user accounts, reinstall any add-ins, and you're good to go. Smile

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Thanks. Should I see all of my drives when I get to the "load additional storage drivers' page? I've loaded multiple storage drivers, but for some reason my 1TB drive is not seen, and it's on an adjacent SATA channel that shows other drives. Also, before I proceed any further, will it allow me to select the drive to install on?

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:38 PM
  •  bondisdead wrote:
    Thanks. Should I see all of my drives when I get to the "load additional storage drivers' page?

After you've loaded whatever drivers are necessary, yes.

bondisdead wrote:
    I've loaded multiple storage drivers, but for some reason my 1TB drive is not seen, and it's on an adjacent SATA channel that shows other drives.

What are the size of the other drives you have hooked up to that SATA contoller card?  (Maybe that port on the card is bad, or a bad cable.  You could try hooking it up in another location and see if it recognizes it.)

bondisdead wrote:
    Also, before I proceed any further, will it allow me to select the drive to install on?

No.  It will automatically install on whichever drive is in the "first bootable slot".

Just remember, you can proceed as far as you want during the start up menus until you get to the installation choices.  However, if you don't see Server Reinstallation as an option in the drop down menu, don't go any further than that.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:47 PM
  • So far so good. I just keep forgetting that I have to enter <F6> after the first reboot in order to install storage drivers again. I initially paniced as it blue-screened with a cryptic error message, but remembered about this happening before. I restarted, kept the floppy handy, then hit <F6>.

Everything was going smoothly, until it got to the "Finalizing Installation" step, and it was trying to do "Recovery Data". WHS installation failed! Log file wasn't extremely informative, but did indicate error 2 when checking file C:\qs.ini. As well as D:, X:. I thought it might be that all of the motherboard drivers were not installed, so I did that one by one until the Device Manager no longer reported Unknown Driver. Looks like this "may" have done something, as it's scrolling thru the Recovering Data stage, w/out going to the error. Fingers crossed...

Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:48 PM