Recovering your data - windows home server initialization failed RRS feed

• Question

• The HP MediaSmart Server system disk failed and usng the HP MSS Recovery Disc to re-instal, the Windows Home Server would not recover the data which includes not only file data but also the backup data and the photo albums.

The HP MSS Recovery Disc connects to the Server and launches the WHS Server Stup. This complets the "Configuring your hardware" task, but during the "Recovering your data" task fails with error message "Windows Home Server initialization failed".

If I remove the data disks, this installation complets OK, but of course does not recover the data.

As the Recovery Disc is pre PP1 I wondered if this might be the problem and thought about how to install using the PP1 Server Setup. This is not possible on the HP MediaSmart Server but would be possible on a normal computer.

Should it be possible to attempt data recovery using a normal computer and the WHS PP1 Evaluation disk with the HP MSS Data Disks mounted in this computer, or are the backup data and photo album Data Disks only recoverable on an HP MSS Server?

Or is there another way to restore the data including backup and photo albums.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the linked FAQ explains, how to recover the data in Shared folders using a second PC (or the same server, if you removed the data disks for a new installation of the OS).

This will not include the backups of the client PCs. These are stored in folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on the D: drive (which is part of the primary volume or on one or more of the other drives in the hidden folder DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. Unfortunately some of these files may also be tombstones, which may add confusion.

After fresh installation (and updating the server OS) you can try to execute the commands

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup

and copy the files from these folders on the other disks to d:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.
    After finishing this task with one disk you could integrate this to the storage pool and repeat for the next disk.
    After completing the copy operation reboot the server.
    If the backups are back, check the consistency. Try to open backups and restore files, folders, disks.
    If this fails, execute above commands again and delete all the files in d:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. Consider the client backups as lost.
    Usually the backups are easier to replace than to recover, because the clients still exist and the backups can be redone.

I have no idea, on which place HP stores the photo albums. Maybe people in the mediasmartserver.net forums have a clue.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the linked FAQ explains, how to recover the data in Shared folders using a second PC (or the same server, if you removed the data disks for a new installation of the OS).

This will not include the backups of the client PCs. These are stored in folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on the D: drive (which is part of the primary volume or on one or more of the other drives in the hidden folder DE\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. Unfortunately some of these files may also be tombstones, which may add confusion.

After fresh installation (and updating the server OS) you can try to execute the commands

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup

and copy the files from these folders on the other disks to d:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.
    After finishing this task with one disk you could integrate this to the storage pool and repeat for the next disk.
    After completing the copy operation reboot the server.
    If the backups are back, check the consistency. Try to open backups and restore files, folders, disks.
    If this fails, execute above commands again and delete all the files in d:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. Consider the client backups as lost.
    Usually the backups are easier to replace than to recover, because the clients still exist and the backups can be redone.

I have no idea, on which place HP stores the photo albums. Maybe people in the mediasmartserver.net forums have a clue.

Olaf

Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Olaf,

I've been reading your posts and they have been helpful to a point.  I am able to see the share folders under the DE folder.  I can't open image files.  I get a message that reads reads:  "invalid Image." I am going to go ahead and move to WHS 2011 from WHS v1 after running into hardware problems with my existing WHS V1 computer.   If I extract all of the data from all of my disks and put it on an external hard drive, will I be able to copy the data to Windows Home Server 2011?  

Vielen Dank

Scott in California

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Hi Scott,

if it is really the folder DE\shares on one of the data volumes and not the folder Shares in the root of D:\ (in the later folder the behaviour would be normal, because there are only located tombstones pointing to the real file location) it may be, that the files are damaged. (Depends, what kind of hardware issues you had with the old server.)

Did you already run chkdsk /r on the disk you are trying to recover data from?

Olaf

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:38 AM