Stolen Laptop (and product key) How do I obtain a product key and media for registered and licensed software? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My house was broken into about a month ago and many things were stolen as well as my laptop.  My laptop was provided by Toshiba and thus the product key is on the bottom of the laptop.

However, I do have the original Toshiba Recovery CD which has an image of the system, including the operating system.  However, I no longer have the laptop as it was stolen (and it has been reported as stolen, I have a case number from the police dept)  The Toshiba Recovery CD will only work on the make and model of laptop that I once had.

How do I do the following (I have already contacted Toshiba and I was informed to contact Microsoft about this)
    1. Deactive the current Windows Vista that is on the stolen laptop- I had also registered the software so it should be somewhat easy to find.
    2. Obtain a new product key since I do have the original software and hence, a valid license.
    3. Obtain Windows Vista Installation Media for the same product I have.  Since I have already purchased this software with the PC I have a license.  However, with the software the OEM provided me, I cam unable to install it on any PC.  I do not mind paying for replacement media or other reasonable charges.  
    4. I can provide a police report, a copy of my license, anything that is necessary to accomplish this task. 

Toshiba didn't offer me a solution and that is why I am writing on the fourms on Microsoft's website hoping that someone will know what I need to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    John Gilmore
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 5:57 AM

Answers

• The Toshiba Recovery CD can only be used with the Toshiba PC it originally came with.  Since you no longer have the PC, the license cannot be used on a different computer...sorry!
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, June 22, 2009 12:50 PM