Real files replaced with placeholders RRS feed

• Question

• Okay so i have been using Mesh for a year i believe now, if not almost there... and i just encountered my first MAJOR issue.

One of my most imporant Mesh folders is my School Work which is synced between my Macbook, the cloud, my desktop and another laptop. for some reason now, almost all my files within that Mesh are all temporary place holders. No real files anywhere! you can't access anything from the computers or the cloud.

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? is there any way to retrieve files?
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:05 AM

Answers

• Good to hear that you managed to get back most of your files. Is it possible that someone deleted the files from the folder on one of the machines? Nearly every time the files go there in the case of a sync hiccup such as yours.

Unfortunately my only suggestion at this stage would be to check the holdingbase of all the machines that had the folder synced and submit a bug to see what the team say.

Oren
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about your missing files - I've had that before, and it's a heart jerking experience that isn't fun, so enough ramble!

Your files should be in the following directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\HoldingArea

On a vista machine that would be under \Users.

If not, then I would check on the Live Desktop (for some real files) or other machine (again, in the HoldingArea) that you were syncing with, and download the files from there. If all the files are safely on the Live Desktop you can remove the local folder from syncing with the mesh, delete files from the HoldingArea folder mentioned above, and then resync from the Live Desktop.

Once recovered, you should submit a bug with your logs (instructions here) so that the Live Mesh team can track down the cause.

Good Luck!

Oren
    • Edited by nachmore Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:02 AM clarification
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Well after the heart attack i had, i started evaluating all the folders in that Mesh. Some have real files, other have placeholders. Unfortunately the place you told me to check did not have the files i needed. there were only other files from a different Mesh folder i have...

I am pretty sure i can manage with whats missing. i have a backup the files but i am still missing some recent documents created so if there are any other suggestions please let me know.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Good to hear that you managed to get back most of your files. Is it possible that someone deleted the files from the folder on one of the machines? Nearly every time the files go there in the case of a sync hiccup such as yours.

Unfortunately my only suggestion at this stage would be to check the holdingbase of all the machines that had the folder synced and submit a bug to see what the team say.

Oren
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:01 AM
  • No one else uses the Mesh folders and i highly doubt someone accessed my computers. I will check tomorrow each computer tomorrow when i get a chance and report back.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:21 AM
  • where would this holding folder be located on a Mac?
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Not having access to a Mac, I don't know where the files would be stored, but I'd start poking around in whatever the Mac uses for \temp file or User data. Otherwise I'd look in the folder structure where Live Mesh installs itself on the Mac until someone can tell us the answer for the location on the Mac.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Michael Murgado said:

where would this holding folder be located on a Mac?

Hi Michael,

The path on Macs is: ~/Library/Application Support/Live Mesh/Holding Area/

Please note, however, that manually modifying elements of your Holding Area can cause unexpected behavior, so it should generally be treated as a last resort.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:46 PM