Need Help with Restricting Media to User in remote web access RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup permissions using the Remote Web Access feature to allow myself to see all of my media, but have another user that can only access a single folder, but am having no luck figuring out how to do this.

So far

From the Dashboard I created 2 users on my server, 1 for myself and 1 for the kids.  On the shared folders tab I set 'No access' to all folders except 1 for the kids username.  I am trying to limit the kids to a single video folder that contains all of their programs, however I cannot figure out how to do that.

How do I restrict media by username?  It seems its all or nothing.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• From the Dashboard I created 2 users on my server, 1 for myself and 1 for the kids.  On the shared folders tab I set 'No access' to all folders except 1 for the kids username.  I am trying to limit the kids to a single video folder that contains all of their programs, however I cannot figure out how to do that.

How do I restrict media by username?  It seems its all or nothing.

==========
    I haven't tried this before, but it seems to work like it should.

1. Create an account for the kid (you have) and give him a password (Heisakid) :)
    2. Be sure that the account has no access to any of the existing the folders (unless you want him to)
    3. Create a new folder and name it. I named mine Kid Video
    4. Give the kid's account read only access (he can watch the videos but not add or delete anything)
    5. Give your account read/write access (you have control of what goes in there)

You will be asked about backup for this new folder, and you can do what you wish with that.

I'm sitting here laughing at myself because I set the account up in my husband's name since we don't have any youngsters running around the house. They all have kids and grandkids of their own.

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:57 PM
  • The problem I am having is when you put the little check mark next to 'media' in the remote web access tab it shows all the media on the server.   I want the 'kid' account to be able to watch streams over the internet, but I do not want that account to be able to see all my media.  I have even tried manually setting 'deny all' to the folders with content I do not want the kid username I created to see, but they can still see everything from the remote access web page.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:13 PM
  • The problem I am having is when you put the little check mark next to 'media' in the remote web access tab it shows all the media on the server. I want the 'kid' account to be able to watch streams over the internet, but I do not want that account to be able to see all my media.

============

Ah. Your mention of folder sent me in the wrong direction. Since I don't do the streaming thing, I don't know how to help you. Sorry.

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:43 PM
  • The problem I am having is when you put the little check mark next to 'media' in the remote web access tab it shows all the media on the server.   I want the 'kid' account to be able to watch streams over the internet, but I do not want that account to be able to see all my media.  I have even tried manually setting 'deny all' to the folders with content I do not want the kid username I created to see, but they can still see everything from the remote access web page.

User who are more into the streaming of video's etc can probably confirm this but my understanding is that when you tick the streaming box there is no control over the media streamed. Unfortunately access is not restricted by folders permissions etc. Seems wrong to me but that is how it works.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:57 AM
  • What Dave/frogz1 said.  It has something to do with the DLNA requirements.  You choose a folder to stream and it's not account limited, this is because DLNA devices don't have ways to setup users/permissions.  It's all or nothing.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:47 AM
  • I am trying to setup permissions using the Remote Web Access feature to allow myself to see all of my media, but have another user that can only access a single folder, but am having no luck figuring out how to do this.

So far

From the Dashboard I created 2 users on my server, 1 for myself and 1 for the kids. On the shared folders tab I set 'No access' to all folders except 1 for the kids username. I am trying to limit the kids to a single video folder that contains all of their programs, however I cannot figure out how to do that.

How do I restrict media by username? It seems its all or nothing.

I'm a beginner, I do not know what you're talking about, Can you explain it more clearly?
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:43 AM