Cannot add users under Users tab in the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to add a user to my WHS, I get an error message immediately that says the following:

There was a problem adding the user account

Cannot create the user account.  Please restart the Add a User Account Wizard, and then try again.

I have restarted both the Dashboard and my server numerous times.  I'm accessing the server via direct connection (using a KVM between my desktop and server).  Does anyone have any reason why this would happen and what I might be able to do to get this to work?  Thanks in advance.

v/r,
    Eric

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:19 AM

All replies

• I have found a new issue.  The following services continue to stop every few minutes:

I'm not sure what is causing these services to stop, but that was affecting my creating a user account.  They are all set to Automatic under "services".  I'm not sure if I should reload WHS 2011.  Thoughts?

v/r,
    Eric

Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:09 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I had a similar problem with User corruption and no longer being able to add accounts or use Remote access (please contact the person who manages your server message after logging in).

For me, Windows Server Settings Provider service was not starting.  The XML files in (hidden directory structure):

C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\settingsproviderdata

we're corrupt.  Inside this folder are the Users and User Profile folders.  I was able to rename the root folder (settingsproviderdata), create a new one along with the empty folders that we're inside the original.

The service would then start and stay up.  I could then re-create the user accounts and everything is now working fine.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards, Jeff.

• Proposed as answer by ChrAd Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:07 AM
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:58 PM
  • I have the same problem as ERack. The solution above didnt work for me. For me it seems every service is working separately but the "Windows Server Identity Management Service" which kills the other services once started. I realy dont wanna reinstall the OS so i realy hope for a solution.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 9:06 AM
  • I had the same issue with the three services being killed.  Jeff/Ovion's solution worked for me.  I performed the following steps:

1.  Renamed the 'settingsproviderdata' (at 'C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\settingsproviderdata') to 'settingsproviderdata.bak'

2.  Copied 'settingsproviderdata.bak' to the same parent directory so it was named 'settingsproviderdata-bak - Copy'.

3.  Went through each of the 'settingsproviderdata-bak - Copy' subdirectories and deleted all files so only the directory structure remained.

4 . Renamed 'settingsproviderdata-bak - Copy' to 'settingsproviderdata'.

5.  Rebooted the server.

6.  After logging in as Adminstrator, I opened the server manager and accessed 'ServerManager/Configuration/Local Users/Groups/Users' and deleted all of the individual users accounts. 

7.  Opened the Dashboard and re-added the users that were previously defined.

This worked for me.  If it reverts to the failed services, I will let you know.  However, it has been stable so far.  It is frustrating that Microsoft has not addressed this issue.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 4:28 AM
    • Edited by RKirchhof Friday, September 2, 2011 3:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by NPinho Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:28 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:06 PM
  • i have same problem.... any working solution????
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 2:29 PM
  • I have the same issue. For me, I can simply start the "Windows Server Identity Management Service" by itself and I get my users back and I can add additional users. For me, it's when I try to start the "Windows Server Server Backup Service" that kills the other two processes. Normally, I notice I'm having issues with a hard drive that causes my Server Backup Service to not stay running. But this latest time, I have no hard drive issues. I can keep the Identity Management and the Add-ins infrastructure going, just not the server backup.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:27 PM
  • on SBS 2011 Ess, I was able to resolve the Windows Server Identity Management Service failing and taking the other services with it by

* modifying the certificate template for Domain Controller Authentication and for Directory Email Replication so that the subject was the DNS name (instead of blank) (Certtmpl.msc)
    * renewing both personal certificates in the Certificate Manager MMC (local computer)
    * then revoking the old certificates in the Certificate Authority
    * starting the services

Where I was stumped was the fact that even though the certificates were renewed and the subject line for the certificates was no longer blank after editing the templates, the problem persisted until I revoked the certificates in the Certificate Authority. Once the certificates with a blank Issued Common Name were revoked, the services started and remained started.

The users now also appear in the Dashboard and I can login through remote.<domain>.com again.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Can you explain this process step by step for some one who has no server knowledge (me)?
    I got lost at   Domain Controller Authentication
    Friday, December 16, 2011 11:32 PM
  • I was chasing this down myself and this was the magic bullet to fixing my problem.  I'm proposing this as an answer since it seemed to help others.

NOTE:  This problem occurred on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials RTM version.

Chris Adams

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:08 AM
  • I was chasing this down myself and this was the magic bullet to fixing my problem.  I'm proposing this as an answer since it seemed to help others.

Chris Adams

Update:  After you do the outline step, you will need to make sure to open PowerShell and run Import-WssUser for each of the users you'd like to show up in the Dashboard >> Users.

Chris Adams

• Proposed as answer by CWagz78 Monday, April 8, 2013 4:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken Warren Monday, April 8, 2013 11:35 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:18 AM

Chris Adams

Update:  After you do the outline step, you will need to make sure to open PowerShell and run Import-WssUser for each of the users you'd like to show up in the Dashboard >> Users.

Chris Adams

Just happened to me on my 2012 Essentials RTM box as well...
    • Proposed as answer by RKirchhof Wednesday, June 5, 2019 3:26 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2013 4:35 AM
  • which are the personal certificates to renew?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:40 PM
  • After days of trial and error I did it your way. And it works! Thanks a lot.

Monday, February 20, 2017 9:05 AM