WHS and GUID Partition Table (GPT) - Support! RRS feed

• Question

• Is it so, that WHS never wil support GPT and large volum beyond 2TB?  

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 10:25 PM

All replies

• In the hardware forum there are reports of people using more than 2tb in their whs builds... seems that gpt for windows 2003 sp1 was increased. 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 10:41 PM
  •  [NO] - SELervik wrote:

Is it so, that WHS never wil support GPT and large volum beyond 2TB?  

Hi,

See if this Topic help the issue.

My best.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 10:55 PM
  • The answer to your question is that no, WHS does not support GPT disks. If you attempt to add a GPT disk to the storage pool, it will be reformatted as a MBR disk.

You may be able to get a GPT disk into your server (see the link provided by abobader for one way), but it will be an unsupported configuration. And as far as performance is concerned, you'll probably be fine just adding the individual disks to the server storage pool instead. Other bottlenecks will mask any penalties from using a single disk. And for data protection, take advantage of the WHS share duplication feature.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 12:27 AM
  • Is there a plan for support of larger volums then 2TB, I know a lot of people ho has more then that. 

I have my self a volum @ 7TB whit all my DVD collection, and i nead support for large volums.

Uses Linux today, but i like the new lock of the WHS, and it's simpleness, it's a huge stepp in right direction (Almost).

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:40 AM
  • WHS supports the need that some users have for large volumes by using all but the system drive as "secondary storage" drives. On the DATA partition of the system drive, there will be NTFS reparse points, that point to the actual locations of files on secondary drives. To the end user, the storage pool looks like a huge array. To the operating system, it's a bunch of individual disks (not organized as a JBOD style array) with files on them. Given that, I don't think there are plans to support GPT disks in WHS, because they aren't needed.

Please note: when you add a disk or array to your WHS storage pool, it will be formatted. You will lose all data currently stored on that disk or array. It is not currently possible to add a disk to the pool with data already on it. You will need to find a way to copy all the data off your array if you want to add the disks to the server.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 11:53 AM
  • If i  have 3 x 1 TB disk's, and want to add one or 2 new disk('s) wold the sorage pool accept the new drive and expand, or is'it not posible to expand beyond 2 TB inn a disk array. Or must i add a new storage pool?

And what about the safty?, in RAID 5 have PARITY and a Low ratio of EEC correction and it' posible to add HOTSPARE disk's?

I have room and space to 32 disk's in the kabinet, so this questions are importen about  what solution i select.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Do some searches in the forums and you'll find more involved explanations than this (possibly written by me; I post a lot Smile ), but briefly:

Windows Home Server uses multiple disks in a way that provides data protection similar to RAID 1, but which is more flexible. In a server with multiple disks, it doesn't store files on the primary or system disk (other than some control and meta data) in the folder which contains your shares. Instead it stores "tombstones" (NTFS reparse points), which are effectively pointers to the files on other disks. The secondary disks themselves are formatted as NTFS volumes, mounted on folders in the file system, and files are stored on those disks as normal files.

So if you already have 3 x 1 TB disks, and you add another to the storage pool, WHS will report that you now have 4 TB in the storage pool (more or less) and you will have access to all that space.

Data protection is handled (in multi-disk WHS systems) through allowing the user to designate shares as "duplicated". This causes WHS to store two copies of all files in the share on two separate physical disks (the specific disks are chosen dynamically by WHS and cannot be allocated by the user). That way, if any single disk (even the system disk) fails, your files are still protected.

You should read through the Windows Home Server Reviewer's Guide, the Windows Home Server marketing site, and the forums. You'll probably find that many of your questions have already been answered. Smile
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:44 PM