Windows Live OneCare Restore Tool won't run on my new Windows 7 computer

• I recently purchased a Dell XPS 8300 running Windows 7. I need to restore some files previously backed up using Windows Live OneCare on a Dell running Windows XP. I have downloaded and installed OneCareBackRestore (83,560 KB). I try to run this application by right clicking on the shortcut icon and selecting "Run as Administrator." A window pops up asking "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" and I reply Yes. I then get another window with the error header " ! Restore cannot start" and the message "Restore cannot continue. Please restart your machine and try again. If the problem persists, contact support." I have restarted my computer and tried again, but I get exactly the same message. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Sunday, January 08, 2012 6:38 PM

All replies

• I see this is the wrong forum, but wanted to reply to you Redhawl fan...

I am having the same problem. I have a friend who lost a laptop and the only thing that remains is a onecare backup drive. I have tried installing the restore tool on 64 bit windows 7, 32 bit windows 7, VMware windows XP, and MS Vitrual PC windows XP.

Every time on every OS, I get the same error message -

Friday, January 13, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi Christopher

I am having the same problem and cannot find anything to get round this. Did you manage to get it working and if so how? I have tried the lot, reinstalling,one care clean up and deleting the REGEDIT thingy but no use. I'm getting really frustrated. Hope you can help me.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:35 PM