Building a good server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This question may be a bit general so bare with me...please allow me to clarify if needed

I want to build a server for my house; most of the time, it will function as a media server (as in it will stream video and be a gaming server) but it may also double hosting a few websites.

My point is, what hardware should I be looking for. What's worked for you? Can you post some specs and why you like your setup?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:57 AM

All replies

• If you want to host websites, WHS2011 is not where you should start - better with W7 and Apache or WHS1 and the website add-in that I can't think of the name of. For WHS2011 you need to configure IIS and run the chance of screwing up your Remote Access website.

As for hardware, I use an Intel i3-2100T (for low power consumption) with 4G RAM on an Asus P8P67-M motherboard - it works well. See these requirements:

System Requirements

Published: April 26, 2010

Updated: March 30, 2011

Applies To: Windows Home Server 2011

• Windows Home Server 2011 server software is a 64-bit only operating system.
    • You can install the server software either manually or unattended.
    • System Requirements:
      • 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
      • 2 GB RAM
      • At least one 160 GB hard drive.
    • NTFS is the only supported file system.
    • Supported Networking Configuration:
      1. Your server computer must be connected via a network cable to a router.
      2. The router should be a UPnP-certified device, but it is not required.
      3. The router should be in the 192.168.x.x subnet, but it is not required.

Common processors and the video profiles that they support

To stream media from your home server you can use a computer that is running the Windows 7 operating system, or other home-networked devices such as digital media players, and Media Center Extenders such as XBOX 360. When you are away from home, use Remote Web Access Media Player to play files that are stored on the home server.

You also need relatively fast up-link speeds that vary from 200Kbps to 10 Mbps or more and media formats that your computer and devices can recognize and play. Not all devices, however, support the same video formats so there must be a way for your computer and devices to play whatever media files you happen to have. Windows Home Server 2011 contains a new transcoding support (inherited from Windows 7) that determines the capability of the computer or device you are using and then dynamically converts an unsupported video file into a supported one. In general, if Windows Media Player 12 can play the content on a computer that is running Windows 7, then the content on the home server will usually play on the network-connected device.

The format and bit rate chosen for transcoding is highly dependent on the performance of the home server processor. The processor performance is identified as part of the Windows Experience Index. To determine the performance score of your home server, do one of the following:

• On a computer running Windows 7 that has the same processor as your home server, go to the Control Panel, click Performance Information and Tools, and review the information given on the Rate and improve your computer’s performance page.
    • Contact the manufacturer of the processor.

For the best user experience, choose a video streaming resolution quality that is appropriate for your home server processor. The server will automatically adjust the bit rate to one of these settings:

• Low  if the processor score is less than 3.6.
    • Medium  if the processor score is greater than 3.6 and less than 4.2.
    • High  if the processor score is greater than 4.2 and less than 6.0.
    • Best  if the processor score is greater than 6.0.

If you choose a video streaming resolution that requires more processing power than your server has, you may experience buffers and stops while streaming media from the home server.

noteNote
    To stream high definition video through Remote Access, you need a processor with a score of at least 6.0.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, January 30, 2012 3:59 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 3:58 PM
  • I believe the website add-in Phil is thinking of is Whiist.  I use it, but for very simple tasks.  Put a few links on my WHS homepage and some private webpages for logged in users.  For what I use it for, it works very well and has not caused any problems.  Read the FAQ in the first link.  Plans for the future in second link.

http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist

http://www.andrewgrant.org/2010/11/24/whiist-plans-past-and-future.html

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

If you want to host websites, WHS2011 is not where you should start - better with W7 and Apache or WHS1 and the website add-in that I can't think of the name of. For WHS2011 you need to configure IIS and run the chance of screwing up your Remote Access website.

As for hardware, I use an Intel i3-2100T (for low power consumption) with 4G RAM on an Asus P8P67-M motherboard - it works well. See these requirements:System Requirements

* Windows Home Server 2011 server software is a 64-bit only operating system.
    * You can install the server software either manually or unattended.
    * System Requirements:

* 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
       * 2 GB RAM
       * At least one 160 GB hard drive.
    * NTFS is the only supported file system.
    * Supported Networking Configuration:

1. Your server computer must be connected via a network cable to a router.
       2. The router should be a UPnP-certified device, but it is not required.
       3. The router should be in the 192.168.x.x subnet, but it is not required.

Common processors and the video profiles that they support

To stream media from your home server you can use a computer that is running the Windows 7 operating system, or other home-networked devices such as digital media players, and Media Center Extenders such as XBOX 360. When you are away from home, use Remote Web Access Media Player to play files that are stored on the home server.

You also need relatively fast up-link speeds that vary from 200Kbps to 10 Mbps or more and media formats that your computer and devices can recognize and play. Not all devices, however, support the same video formats so there must be a way for your computer and devices to play whatever media files you happen to have. Windows Home Server 2011 contains a new transcoding support (inherited from Windows 7) that determines the capability of the computer or device you are using and then dynamically converts an unsupported video file into a supported one. In general, if Windows Media Player 12 can play the content on a computer that is running Windows 7, then the content on the home server will usually play on the network-connected device.

The format and bit rate chosen for transcoding is highly dependent on the performance of the home server processor. The processor performance is identified as part of the Windows Experience Index. To determine the performance score of your home server, do one of the following:

* On a computer running Windows 7 that has the same processor as your home server, go to the Control Panel, click*Performance Information and Tools* , and review the information given on the*Rate and improve your computer's performance*   page.
    * Contact the manufacturer of the processor.

For the best user experience, choose a video streaming resolution quality that is appropriate for your home server processor. The server will automatically adjust the bit rate to one of these settings:

* *Low* if the processor score is less than 3.6.
    * *Medium* if the processor score is greater than 3.6 and less than 4.2.
    * *High* if the processor score is greater than 4.2 and less than 6.0.
    * *Best* if the processor score is greater than 6.0.

If you choose a video streaming resolution that requires more processing power than your server has, you may experience buffers and stops while streaming media from the home server.<http://i.onlinehelp.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC101471.gif>NoteTo stream high definition video through Remote Access, you need a processor with a score of at least 6.0.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

BullDawg
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:11 PM
  • I believe the website add-in Phil is thinking of is Whiist.  I use it, but for very simple tasks.  Put a few links on my WHS homepage and some private webpages for logged in users.  For what I use it for, it works very well and has not caused any problems.

That's it - thanks.

Monday, January 30, 2012 5:15 PM