Microsoft Money/Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft Money 2001 for years and have run it on Windows 8.1 for the past two years without any issues until now.  All of a sudden when I try to enter a transaction an error message pops up stating "Microsoft Money has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly and will close".  I have tried to upgrade to Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe and am experiencing the same message, in fact with the Plus version I cannot even open the program.  Would upgrading to Windows 10 be a solution to this issue? Any advice or suggestions?

Monday, December 14, 2015 6:18 PM

All replies

• It is unlikely that moving to Windows 10 will fix this.  Two things to try:

- Open Sample.mny and see if you can successfully enter transactions.  That would indicate that the problem is with your Money.mny file rather than with the program installation.  If Sample.mny works, try restoring a earlier version of your Money file from backup.  Be sure to give the restored file a unique name so that you don't confuse it with your existing Money.mny file.  (Sample.mny is usually located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus)

- If Sample.mny also misbehaves, then maybe the problem is with your Money installation.  First check the version number (Help>About) to verify that it is version 9.  If it's a later version then you likely updated Money at some point and you will need to re-install the later version.  An older version of Money won't open a file created with a newer version.

One more thing, - if you are not using a US version of Money then Money Plus Deluxe won't work for you.

Post back and let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Monday, December 14, 2015 11:08 PM