none
Proposed Answers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've noticed on some occasions we will get moderators going through historical questions and confirm proposed answers. But on numerous occasions (this being one: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/5e3f053c-a61b-498a-b245-f58184d3622f/pivot-this-table?forum=transactsql#586ebf31-ec8a-481f-ab35-9c30099413fa), the question is left unmarked.

I've noticed it happen quite a lot with a few answers I've given, and obviously you don't receive the recognition if it stays simply on proposed. Just wondering if there were any hard and fast rules on this, or is it more of a "when people have time" thing...

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I think that most moderators tend to follow the 7 day rule for proposing / marking, and some moderators prefer to propose an answer and then have a different moderator mark the answer.
    I am not sure how Naomi handles it though.

I DO know that there are currently 1627 posts with proposed answers in just the Transact-SQL forum, and sadly, there is no way to sort by proposed date, so for me at least, it's a real pain to go back and mark answers to these historical posts.

I do try to go back to the previous posts and mark answers as often as possible though.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:22 PM
  • I went back to this thread right now and marked the answers.

I can tell you what I normally do: I rarely mark answers myself, I usually leave it to the MSFT moderator. However, I often propose answers when I see good answers.

Also, sometimes I see that one answer is marked and another correct answer is not marked. If I come across such thread, I normally mark the other correct answer.

If I disagree with the answer, I also try to unmark it, although lately there were many cases when I was unable to unmark or unpropose - I kept getting an error. I reported this in Forum's Issues a few times and sent emails to fissues without any answer.

So, this is in regards to what I normally do as a moderator. I also merge duplicate threads and move threads to correct forums when they are posted in wrong forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I think that most moderators tend to follow the 7 day rule for proposing / marking, and some moderators prefer to propose an answer and then have a different moderator mark the answer.
    I am not sure how Naomi handles it though.

I DO know that there are currently 1627 posts with proposed answers in just the Transact-SQL forum, and sadly, there is no way to sort by proposed date, so for me at least, it's a real pain to go back and mark answers to these historical posts.

I do try to go back to the previous posts and mark answers as often as possible though.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:22 PM
  • I went back to this thread right now and marked the answers.

I can tell you what I normally do: I rarely mark answers myself, I usually leave it to the MSFT moderator. However, I often propose answers when I see good answers.

Also, sometimes I see that one answer is marked and another correct answer is not marked. If I come across such thread, I normally mark the other correct answer.

If I disagree with the answer, I also try to unmark it, although lately there were many cases when I was unable to unmark or unpropose - I kept getting an error. I reported this in Forum's Issues a few times and sent emails to fissues without any answer.

So, this is in regards to what I normally do as a moderator. I also merge duplicate threads and move threads to correct forums when they are posted in wrong forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:35 PM
  • Hi Naomi/Karl,

Thanks for your replies. That's great, I was just wondering if there was a set way, obviously I want to contribute as much as possible, and try to improve my track record. Everything I do here improves my standing within the community, it wasn't a reflection on the job you guys do. I think you do an excellent job of keeping the forum in check.

Again, thanks for clarification.

Friday, January 24, 2014 8:49 AM