SAS drive not showing up in WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I just finished building my newest server and in has Five SAS hard drives one 2tb and 4 1tb drives and 4 - 3tb sata hard drives.  the SAS hard drives are connected to a dell sas 6/ir integrated sas controller card, and the sata drives are connected to a sate raid controller.  the sata drives are fine but in disk management the sas hard drives are not working correctly, 1 of the drives show up as a 1tb drive but im unable to assign a drive letter to it and the other four show up as removable media.  Oh and this is a headless server so im unable to the the raid configuration at the bios level.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 4:00 PM

Answers

• The Dell sas 6/ir is a rebranded LSI SAS card. The IR is the RAID firmware. You need to use the IT firmware. The IT firmware will allow the drives to be shown as individual drives.

It can be reflashed but you will need to find the EXACT IT firmware for your card. Generic info for LSI cards can be found HERE.

This process is not for the faint hearted but it is possible to reflash a branded card with LSI firmware if you know the EXACT LSI model number of your card. I have reflashed some Intel branded cards in the past to LSI and they work great in WHS 2011.

Good luck if you decide to do this.

Remember, if you don't use the EXACT firmware and BIOS during flashing you WILL KILL YOUR CARD.

John

• Edited by WeeHappyPixie Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:18 PM Explain what IT version does
    • Proposed as answer by James Xiong Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:17 PM

All replies

• Are you sure you have all the required drivers?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Im new to using SAS hard drives and the controller so im not sure if im missing any drivers, if i look in the device manger the correct driver is install there, but i thought there might be more drives or even software needed just not sure where to get it.
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 6:03 PM
  • The Dell sas 6/ir is a rebranded LSI SAS card. The IR is the RAID firmware. You need to use the IT firmware. The IT firmware will allow the drives to be shown as individual drives.

It can be reflashed but you will need to find the EXACT IT firmware for your card. Generic info for LSI cards can be found HERE.

This process is not for the faint hearted but it is possible to reflash a branded card with LSI firmware if you know the EXACT LSI model number of your card. I have reflashed some Intel branded cards in the past to LSI and they work great in WHS 2011.

Good luck if you decide to do this.

Remember, if you don't use the EXACT firmware and BIOS during flashing you WILL KILL YOUR CARD.

John

• Edited by WeeHappyPixie Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:18 PM Explain what IT version does
    • Proposed as answer by James Xiong Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:37 AM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:17 PM