Swiching programs RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer with windowsxp, I wife has a computer by the same manufacture that has Windows 7 Home the both came pre installed. Can I swich the system from one computer to the ohter 1 for 1,

Also I have and old computer with windowsXP PRO that has some bad ram problems That I don't intend to use anymore can I use tha xp system to replace the Windows 7 system. they are all x86 systems

Monday, January 24, 2011 11:10 AM

Answers

• I have a computer with windowsxp, I wife has a computer by the same manufacture that has Windows 7 Home the both came pre installed. Can I swich the system from one computer to the ohter 1 for 1,

Also I have and old computer with windowsXP PRO that has some bad ram problems That I don't intend to use anymore can I use tha xp system to replace the Windows 7 system. they are all x86 systems

Switching is not permitted by the OEM license terms, so you cannot switch them.

The Windows 7 Home Premium license does not confer downgrade rights, so you are not permitted to install XP as a downgrade from W7 (if it was W7Pro or Ult, you could do a downgrade).  You might be able to just replace the W7 installation with the Windows XP Pro license if and only if the Windows XP Pro license is a full retail license, whose software licensing terms permit moving the license from on computer to another.  If XP Pro is full retail you can junk the old computer with RAM problems and move the XP Pro license to the W7 computer, replacing the W7 license.

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:49 PM