Remote media center ? RRS feed

• Question

• I know we already have a topic talking about media center capability.

Although Media center is great and should be implemented, I see two types of users :
    - Users who will require direct media center capability with all media center options and functions.
    - Users like me who will only require remote media center capability. Let me explain :

When my box will be setup, I will put an old matrox millenium PCI card to make sure that the computer can boot, I will connect the LAN power suply and TV cable. That's it.
    I will make sure that I can configure the box remotly using VNC like software in case of computer issue or software change required.

But the most important thing for is to be able to manage the box with a web interface. And the web interface may include media center capability.

TV reccorder :
    - Access to EPG information (i don't know how you call this in the US but this is the list of all TV show with a full description).
    - Ask the box to reccord the show, and were it has to record it.
    - Make sure that the box supports more than one card and solution (DVBS - T ....) and is able to reccord more than one show at a time.
    - Have a direct access through the web interface to all reccorded show (and more...). The user will have to clic on the link and windows media player would play the file directly... (let's imagine that the media would be streamed and not downloaded).

Picture Viewer :
    - Access to all picture shared on the WHS with the web interface (depending on the credential).
    - We have to be able to move the file from one folder to another with the web interface.
    - add comments on every files.
    - change the user access rights on every folder...
    - and more...

Music player :
    - Have access to our music repository.
    - Have a list of all folder and be able to play a folder. Windows media player play list would be automatically updated accroding to the file list and play the folder without asking more questions.
    - Another good option would be to clic on a link "add to play list" which will ... add a folder or music in media player and play it...
    - Another good option could be to access the files based on ID information like ... play all trance music...

I may have a lot of additional idea later but ... this is what i would like to see in a Home Server...

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:31 AM

All replies

• Nice list, but once again, would add quite some complexity to WHS ... might be made in V2 ( let's say V3 ...) or more likely with a WHS Plugin with the soon to come Toolkit.

Yet, I got the feeling that what you want is more a Media center Web GUI than a windows home server
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:38 AM
  •  Atomusk wrote:

Yet, I got the feeling that what you want is more a Media center Web GUI than a windows home server

That's right, BUT this would add some value to WHS and make it better than existing Home server solution (http://www.synology.com/enu/products/CS406series/index.php).

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:54 AM
  • Very nice product ! didn't knew about it. But for 600$ (without drives) you have almost the same functionnality of the home server but the duplication of drives (but the RAID is here for this purpose) and the easy extensibility (adding a drive seems easyer to me using WHS).

Plus, it seems to me easier to install plugin on the WHS than on this solution (program like Hamachi for VPN, torrent software ...) and I hope the SDK will allows us to do awesome additions to WHS.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:53 PM
  •  Atomusk wrote:
    ... and I hope the SDK will allows us to do awesome additions to WHS.

I'm afraid a novice user will be lost, just talking about plugin will have him run a away. (I guess this is why windows update is set to automatic install and can't be changed...).

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:28 PM
  • I think super-novice user is not right the target -as far as I think- for whs ^^;
    not many "novice" user owns 2-3 computers he want to backup

And for super novice, OEM could set up configurations with theses plugin build in.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:42 PM