Copy processes to server time out or hang on random attempts RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon everyone, and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

IT admin of many years, so I consider myself pretty technical.  I have had this WHS up and running for about a year now, never really have had any issues, but lately, and it seems more often than not, when I attempt to push files over to my WHS (through the network, using Shared Folders icon on my client PC desktop), I will get times where it will just hang, and then I get notification that communication has been lost with the server.

on smaller file moves (sub 1GB), it seems to hang on the final 1 or 2 files usually a couple KB in size, sometimes it completes, sometimes I have an informational message pop up that I can 'Retry' and I will, and they will finally move over to the server.  Other times I can click 'retry' till the cows come home....

On larger copy processes (100GB+) the server will start out fine, I will see transfer rates around 80-98MB/s sustained, which will then peter out over time and be around 25-45MB/s, and other times, after moving a few GB over, again, the server will lose connectivity, and I get the informational message that i can Retry or Skip.  Skipping sometimes allows the server to pick back up, but usually it will then time out on the next file in the list.

I am at a loss as to what would be causing this.  Could it have something to do with its data balancing across the drives?  The sever is built on an Intel BX series MB, with 4GB of ram, e7400 cpu, and about 8 1.5TB seagate drives in it.  It has been mostly flawless for the past year, this network connectivity and timing out has really only been showing up in the last couple months.

Running my own IT company, its been like the children of the shoemaker, I am FINALLY getting around to trying to diagnose and fix my own local problems.  Historically the group here has been outstanding in their help, so I thought I would ask here first for some direction as to how to diagnose this problem.

Thank you again in advance for any help and direction you all can provide.

System Specs:

Intel DG45ID motherboard

Intel C2D E7400 @ 2.8GHz

WHS with SP 2 installed (MS Windows Server 2003 for SBS v. 5.2.3790)

4GB DDR2 800MHz

Automatic Updates active

Task Manager is showing the CPU flux between 28-39% usage, with only about 1GB of ram used atm. So it doesn't seem to be an issue of not enough resources.  But maybe my eyes are just too close to it. 

thanks again everyone.

-Andrew

**edit**

Mr. Warren, you have helped out a couple times with some minor issues I have seen with the server, if you have a direction and have some time, I value your input and advice.

• Edited by Javad0g Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:20 PM Addition to post
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:17 PM

All replies

• Would suggest trying a different network driver, network card, or even a different router/network setup.
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:17 PM
  • i appreciate the suggestion.  the network adapter is the one built into the motherboard, and the chipset is made by Intel as well.  And had I had this problem since install, I would tend to agree with you, however the problem is new.

I will check for updated network drivers, but I am having a hard time believing that that is the root problem.

thank you very much for a response...

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Good afternoon everyone, and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

IT admin of many years, so I consider myself pretty technical.  I have had this WHS up and running for about a year now, never really have had any issues, but lately, and it seems more often than not, when I attempt to push files over to my WHS (through the network, using Shared Folders icon on my client PC desktop), I will get times where it will just hang, and then I get notification that communication has been lost with the server.

on smaller file moves (sub 1GB), it seems to hang on the final 1 or 2 files usually a couple KB in size, sometimes it completes, sometimes I have an informational message pop up that I can 'Retry' and I will, and they will finally move over to the server.  Other times I can click 'retry' till the cows come home....

On larger copy processes (100GB+) the server will start out fine, I will see transfer rates around 80-98MB/s sustained, which will then peter out over time and be around 25-45MB/s, and other times, after moving a few GB over, again, the server will lose connectivity, and I get the informational message that i can Retry or Skip.  Skipping sometimes allows the server to pick back up, but usually it will then time out on the next file in the list.

I am at a loss as to what would be causing this.  Could it have something to do with its data balancing across the drives?  The sever is built on an Intel BX series MB, with 4GB of ram, e7400 cpu, and about 8 1.5TB seagate drives in it.  It has been mostly flawless for the past year, this network connectivity and timing out has really only been showing up in the last couple months.

Running my own IT company, its been like the children of the shoemaker, I am FINALLY getting around to trying to diagnose and fix my own local problems.  Historically the group here has been outstanding in their help, so I thought I would ask here first for some direction as to how to diagnose this problem.

Thank you again in advance for any help and direction you all can provide.

System Specs:

Intel DG45ID motherboard

Intel C2D E7400 @ 2.8GHz

WHS with SP 2 installed (MS Windows Server 2003 for SBS v. 5.2.3790)

4GB DDR2 800MHz

Automatic Updates active

Task Manager is showing the CPU flux between 28-39% usage, with only about 1GB of ram used atm. So it doesn't seem to be an issue of not enough resources.  But maybe my eyes are just too close to it. 

thanks again everyone.

-Andrew

**edit**

Mr. Warren, you have helped out a couple times with some minor issues I have seen with the server, if you have a direction and have some time, I value your input and advice.

Considering you are having hard drive problems (per your other post), you should start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server (see this FAQ for details).
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:54 AM
  • the drives are not having issues.  I scan them regularly.  as per the other post, the data there was there and corrupt before WHS, I just have not had time or taken the time to get it cleared out.  I am sure that two problems are not interrelated.  I just tried another move process of 100GB of data to the WHS, it transfered the first 6GB fine, then I got the network error again with accessing the WHS.  I will test this transfer issue from another client machine tomorrow and see if I am seeing the same thing.  What I have not verified is if this is a problem on the actual client PC now and not on the WHS.

I realize I should have done this first, will verify tomorrow.  Thank you all for your time and input.

Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:40 AM
  • I am having an identical problem. Did you ever find a solution?

BC

Friday, December 17, 2010 4:29 PM