none
Daylight savings time and synctoy overwrites? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Synctoy 2.0, and after the daylight savings time change, it wants to overwrite every file now. I have two directories with Word 2003 documents that I'm trying to sync. I turned on the "examine content" option, but it didn't help. Any ideas (other than overwriting all files?)
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:07 PM

Answers

• Hi -

You say you have two diretories with Word 2003 files and both of them are on your C:\ with NTFS ? If this is NTFS - DST changes will not affect these files - they should not be off by 1 hr.

However, at this point other than letting SyncToy actually sync there really is nothing else you can do. We will keep repeating that there are changes till you let an initial sync go through.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:01 AM

All replies

• Can you please check if the modified time on files that SyncToy wants to "Overwrites" is same or not on both Left and Right folders?  If this property was changed due to daylight savings time change, SyncToy would treat those as update and try to  "Overwrites".

Thanks,
    Ann Tang
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 6:11 PM
  • The actual file "Date Modified" timestamps are different (1 hr off).

I used the Tools->Compare and Merge Documents in Word 2003 and it says there are no differences. The file sizes are exactly the same.

Will the timestamp differences override the "no content changes" check? Is there any way to get the modified time synced up if the contents are the same?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:09 AM
  • P.S. This is on my C: drive with an NTFS filesystem
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hi -

I want to be sure that I understand correctly - n the folder pair you have selected the "Check File Contents" box. After checking this - SyncToy is still reporting that changes need to be made. The times are off by 1 hour and the size of the files are the same ?

If this describes your scenario - can you check that the attributes on the files are still the same? If that proves to be the case - go ahead and complete the sync. We will not actually overwrite the file contents except to change the timestamps on the files so that they are identical.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Monday, April 13, 2009 10:02 PM
  • The Modified timestamp was different (by one hour). I haven't tried to do the sync yet.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Hi -

You say you have two diretories with Word 2003 files and both of them are on your C:\ with NTFS ? If this is NTFS - DST changes will not affect these files - they should not be off by 1 hr.

However, at this point other than letting SyncToy actually sync there really is nothing else you can do. We will keep repeating that there are changes till you let an initial sync go through.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:01 AM