Microsoft money 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• My hard disk war corrupted and I had all my files transferred on to a new hard disk including Microsoft Money 2004. Microsoft money now does not recognize my password 'The Password you entered was incorrect. Please try again'. I uninstalled it , reinstalled and tried recovering my data from an external backup drive but the same problem is reoccurring. Also the following message appears' c:\documents and settings\user\desktop\12'is corrupted or is not a money data file. Make sure you are opening a file with a MNY extension. If you have chosen the correct file and it could not be accessed, you will need to open your most recent backup file to access your data' - which is what I am trying to do!!.  It appears that other users have had similar problems - Would appreciate any suggestions - very frustrated at this stage.  Thanks

Thanks 

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:12 PM

All replies

• The message about "c:\documents and settings\user\desktop\12" seems strange. Are you trying to open that file explicitly

• By starting up Money and use menu File -> Open?

If you did not try to open the above file explicitly, then Money was trying to open your last opened *.mny file and somehow that information is "bad" (corrupted registry, perhaps)

My suggestion, find the sample file named 'sample.mny' file. Double-click on it to start. That will at minimum let you start MsMoney.

Then look around on your disk (and your backup location) for any file with suffix *.mny. Then try to open it:

• By double-click on the *.mny file
    • Or if money is already running File -> Open
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Hello

Opening sample.mny file worked and got me into microsoft money. But when I tried to open backup file from external hard drive the following message appeared " Money cannot locate 'G:\12.mny' or cannot open it, possible because it is a read only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or you disk drive is write protected. If you have chosen the correct file and cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and open your most recent Backup file. If the file is being used bu another application close it in the other application and click OK to try again"  

I am uploading it from my external drive which is G:/. The fact that the it says it cannot find the file is strange as I am opening the file from that location. I have also checked the properties and it is not write protected. Also tried restored backup file and got same message.

Thanks

Flood10
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:23 PM
  •   Guessing here: maybe Money tried to create a lock file on G:\ and cannot. Suggestion: copy 12.mny to somewhere on your C: drive where you know for sure you can you read/write. Then double-click on 12.mny to try to start again. 

Actually, since we know you can start by double-click on sample.mny, copy 12.mny to the same directory as sample.mny then double-click on 12.mny to start.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Ok as someone who had 6 years of tax & bank info on Microsoft Money 2004, I was horrified to find I couldn't log in. Having spent the last 2 days trawling through various websites around the world.. the good news is that I am in.

Here's how and I sincerely hope it works for everyone else

Firstly my system

Windows 7
    Money 2004

Last used MS money for my UK tax return on 26th Oct 2010. This is important

Had backup from that date available

Step 1

Download Money 2005. Its free and available from Microsoft
    '<<<.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915]Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Money 2005 UK - QFE2[/url]' (cannot post full links)

Step 2
    Disconnect (physically) from internet

Step 3
    Change date to say 27th October (or day after last working backup but before Jan 31st 2011). Do this and ensure you untick the update clock via synchronising over web

Step 4

Install Money 2005

Enter password which will now work (check work offline)

Then File.. password manager... uncheck use password login in future

Step 5

You've now opened your own file

Step 6

Change date back to current and you should be able to work ok. please note you have removed all security but like me you should have access to all your old details

Hope this helps
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:46 PM