Remote Access problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to use the remote access portion of my homserver.com web site. When I hook my WHS to the cable modem I am able to access all features but when I add a router to the system I loose the remote access function while still being able to access my shared files on the server.
    I initially thought the issue was my D-link WBR-2310. So, I spent several hours on the phone with their tech support and we came to the conclusion that the router was bad. I then bought a new Trendnet TEW-633GR which has the exact same problem. Looking at the log files the WHS is able to change the port setting succesfully via UPnP and I have them forwarded manually as well as putting the server into DMZ.
    I am at a complete loss as to what the problem is and I would greatly appreciate any insite anyone could give.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 8:44 PM

Answers

• I looked into the information on the thread and it turns out that the modem talked about there is the international version. According to Motorola the modem that I have is strictly a pass through and is only capable of bridging.
    Also, is it possible to change the remote access proxy port from 4125 to something else just to see if that makes a difference?
    I'm not sure what information you are asking for in your question.
    • Proposed as answer by vette Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:00 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:21 PM

All replies

• Mouseskowitz said:

I am unable to use the remote access portion of my homserver.com web site. When I hook my WHS to the cable modem I am able to access all features but when I add a router to the system I loose the remote access function while still being able to access my shared files on the server.
    I initially thought the issue was my D-link WBR-2310. So, I spent several hours on the phone with their tech support and we came to the conclusion that the router was bad. I then bought a new Trendnet TEW-633GR which has the exact same problem. Looking at the log files the WHS is able to change the port setting succesfully via UPnP and I have them forwarded manually as well as putting the server into DMZ.
    I am at a complete loss as to what the problem is and I would greatly appreciate any insite anyone could give.

Any chance your cable modem is also a router?  Does it have more than 1 outbound ethernet port?  When you check the Details in the Remote Access portion of the Console, what does it say?
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:32 AM
  • I'm pretty sure the modem does not have a router. When connected directly to the modem all portions of the remote acces website work properly. I've called TRENDnet a couple of times today and they say that the router is working properly. Yet I do not think so. How can it be a WHS problem when it works without the router but not with?
    I have PP2 installed, had the same problem under PP1. Under "repairing remote access configuration" I have green checks by the first two items and a red check by "Verifying that your remote Web site is available from the internet". Under "domain name details" I have green check by all but the same thing.
    Also, I have used two different WHS boxes loaded off 2 different CD's on my network all with the same result.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:46 PM
  • From what you describe, you could have a Double NAT situation - in which your router creates one private network, and the modem another in front of it. WHS expects the routers external interface to be the one associated with the Internet, also port forwarding will not work well.
    The most often recommended situation here is to change the modem into bridge mode.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:21 AM
  • I have a Motorola SURFboard SB5101 cable modem. In looking though the documentation I cannot find any mention of any type of firewall or networking controls. At one point I knew how to access the modem's interface and I do not remember seeing anything in there other than signal strength information and logs.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:50 AM
  • According to this thread it can be configured either way and the config might be locked by your ISP.
    What for an address shows your router as external interface and to which address the command nslookup xyz.homeserver.com resolves the address of your home server?

Olaf
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:23 AM
  • I looked into the information on the thread and it turns out that the modem talked about there is the international version. According to Motorola the modem that I have is strictly a pass through and is only capable of bridging.
    Also, is it possible to change the remote access proxy port from 4125 to something else just to see if that makes a difference?
    I'm not sure what information you are asking for in your question.
    • Proposed as answer by vette Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:00 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Port 4125 is hardcoded and not changeable - but this is only used for accessing the WHS console via the Web Interface.
    Did you ever test, if your domain.homeserver.com is available from outside or your own network? Not all routers support loopback (calling the external interface from internal network to go back to internal network from there).
    Can you access the server webinterface from the client calling http://server (with the internal name)?
    Olaf
    Monday, April 6, 2009 10:03 PM
  • I have accessed my site from outside of my home network and it looks the same as from within. When testing the ports from within the network http://server:80 and https://server:443 bring me to the logon page but when testing port 4125 I get a connection failed message with either the http or https prefix.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 10:43 PM
  • I have accessed my site from outside of my home network and it looks the same as from within. When testing the ports from within the network http://server:80 and https://server:443 bring me to the logon page but when testing port 4125 I get a connection failed message with either the http or https prefix.
    Did you try logging in to the server remotely first, then going to the Computers tab and try logging in to one of your clients?  Also, you can go to Shields Up! and do a port scan for 80, 443, and 4125 and post the results here.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:35 AM
  • One problem is solved. Somehow I have failed to notice that remote access is only supported in IE and I've been using Firefox. Now that that problem is solved, remote access is still not working properly. I now have the remote access tab on the site but I am not able to access any of the computers. The results of the Shields Up! scan probably explain this. They are as follows.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-04-07 at 01:58:24

Results from scan of ports: 80, 443, 4125

1 Ports Open
        1 Ports Closed
        1 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
        3 Ports Tested

The port found to be OPEN was: 443

The port found to be CLOSED was: 4125

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                       - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                       - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

I am unable to log into the console from the site and the two computers that I have running show up as "connection disabled" and "not supported on this operating system". The first computer is running Vista Ultimate and the second Home Premium.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:17 AM
  • One problem is solved. Somehow I have failed to notice that remote access is only supported in IE and I've been using Firefox. Now that that problem is solved, remote access is still not working properly. I now have the remote access tab on the site but I am not able to access any of the computers. The results of the Shields Up! scan probably explain this. They are as follows.

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-04-07 at 01:58:24

Results from scan of ports: 80, 443, 4125

1 Ports Open
        1 Ports Closed
        1 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
        3 Ports Tested

The port found to be OPEN was: 443

The port found to be CLOSED was: 4125

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                       - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                       - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

FYI, based on that info, http://xxxxx.homeserver.com will not work from outside your LAN (port 80 needs to be open for that to work).  However, https://xxxxxx.homeserver.com will work from outside.

I am unable to log into the console from the site and the two computers that I have running show up as "connection disabled" and "not supported on this operating system". The first computer is running Vista Ultimate and the second Home Premium.
    You need to change the Remote Desktop settings on your Vista Ultimate PC (click Start > right-click Computer > Properties > Remote Settings (and accept UAC if in use) > select Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure) ).

However, Remote Desktop is not supported on Vista Home Premium and that cannot be changed (outside of upgrading your OS to a version of Vista that is supported: Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise.)
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Port 80 was listed as Stealth and it was 4125 that was listed as closed. Just out of curiosity what is the difference between stealth and open? I was able to log into the console this time but the Ultimate machine was still listed as disabled but I'm guessing that the status had not been updated yet.
    Thanks for all your help. I just wish that I had found out it was a simple matter of using the wrong browser before I went out and bought an new router.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:56 AM
  • Port 80 was listed as Stealth and it was 4125 that was listed as closed. Just out of curiosity what is the difference between stealth and open?

I'm assuming you mean the difference between stealth and closed?  Stealth means someone that is scanning for open ports can't see that port at all.  Closed means that although it's not accessible, that port can in fact be seen by port-scanning apps (and, therefore, could be vulnerable to a malicious attack of some sort).

I was able to log into the console this time but the Ultimate machine was still listed as disabled but I'm guessing that the status had not been updated yet.

You need to reboot your Ultimate PC in order for it to show up on the web site.

Thanks for all your help. I just wish that I had found out it was a simple matter of using the wrong browser before I went out and bought an new router.
    That's what return policies are for. :)
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:02 AM