How to download live desktop folders on system RRS feed

• Question

• my hard drive recently crashed and i bought a fresh one and installed all applications. after installing Live mesh, i am unable to find the way to download my folders to my new desktop which i had backed up earlier on in online. any suggestion would be appreciated in this regard.

thank you,

Tarun

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:18 PM

Answers

• Live Mesh is not a backup solution, though it may seem that way.

You cannot "download" entire folders from the Live Desktop of Live Mesh to the PC. However, if you install the Live Mesh client software on your PC - add a device to your Mesh from www.mesh.com - then change the sync properties of the folders to sync with your newly added PC, you will be offered the folders on the desktop of the newly added PC. You can change the location of the sync end point from these desktop location *before* you accept the default location.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:
    Synchronize folder
    The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."
    The name cannot be changed/
    The location is the path to your desktop folder.
    Next to this is browse.
    At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.
    OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.
    If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.
    If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.
    Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

Some have reported not getting the option to change the location. If that happens, simply change the sync properties for the folder at www.mesh.com to not sync with the PC in question, and the desktop folder will turn to a yellow Windows folder. Moveor delete that folder as desired. Then go back to www.mesh.com and change the properties to sync with the PC - hopefully you will now get a shortcut rather than a sync folder, so you can move the sync end point to your desired location.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:32 AM