Western Digital Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I built my WHS using the Asus MN2-LR motherboard and 4 Western Digital drives in a non-RAID configuration.

I've lost three of the drives in less than a year of operation.

One was able to be reformatted and reused, but the others would not work and had to be replaced.

Do you think this is a problem with the SATA hardware on the motherboard, or am I having bad luck with the WD drives?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rick M

Rick McMillion
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:36 AM

Answers

• I think you're not having good luck with hard drives. It's not that they're WD drives, per se, either. There are external factors that can dramatically affect drive life, such as:
    • Operating temperature: if your case is cramped, or has poor airflow around the drive when operating, they may be outside spec just from that
    • Power supply: if the power supply is marginal, it may not  be regulating voltage well.
    • External power: if you have a lot of power fluctuations, these can reduce the life of computer components.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:40 PM

All replies

• I think you're not having good luck with hard drives. It's not that they're WD drives, per se, either. There are external factors that can dramatically affect drive life, such as:
    • Operating temperature: if your case is cramped, or has poor airflow around the drive when operating, they may be outside spec just from that
    • Power supply: if the power supply is marginal, it may not  be regulating voltage well.
    • External power: if you have a lot of power fluctuations, these can reduce the life of computer components.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Hi Rick,
    may also depend on the disk specifications. Several desktop models are not specified for a 24/7 use, so this could also have influence.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:08 PM
  • I've not seen any specs that say the hard drives are not made for 24/7 operation.

The Asus motherboard is a "ServerBoard", so I would certainly think it's designed for 24/7 operation.

The house is cooled in the summer, so I know it's not getting too warm.  It has a large fan that sucks air into the case in addition to the power supply fan.

The WHS is connected to a new Tripplite UPS, so I doubt it's voltage problems.

Maybe I'm just not having good luck with the WD drives.

Rick McMillion
    Friday, January 9, 2009 6:50 AM
  • I have been using 3 Western Digital hard drives in my server configuration since the initial beta testing for WHS began and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever.  I would recommend verifying that your power supply is sufficient for the setup you are trying to run.  You could perhaps test out a friend's PSU to see if this rectifies the issue.  If not, it may just be that whatever vendor you're purchasing from recived faulty stock, for whatever reason.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:32 AM
  • I purchased 4 WD 1TB green SATA drives and all of them had to be sent back, 2 were DOA, 1 lasted a day and the other could have any partition set up on it.

I for one would never purchase WD drives again
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Could be also an issue with the mainboard - some GigaByte mainboards had a bug, which nullified the size of attached 1 TB disks to something like 30 MB.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:16 AM
  • rickmcm said:

I built my WHS using the Asus MN2-LR motherboard and 4 Western Digital drives in a non-RAID configuration.

I've lost three of the drives in less than a year of operation.

One was able to be reformatted and reused, but the others would not work and had to be replaced.

Do you think this is a problem with the SATA hardware on the motherboard, or am I having bad luck with the WD drives?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rick M

Rick McMillion

I lost one WD drive in a home built WHS and I just lost another in an HP WHS.  Both were 500GB drives.  The drives made no noise, they just disappeared from the console(one was the system drive so that messed up the whole server).   I also had a 500GB My Book stop working, it was not connected to a WHS.  This is all in the last 6 months.  I've always bought WD drives but I'm starting to lose faith and I just got 2 1TB Seagate drives.  At least the warranty is 5 years.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:57 PM

• Are these retail hard drives or OEM versions?  OEM hard drives often do not benefit from security of the retail hard drives packaging.  In my experience OEM drives generally are stacked next to or on top of each other with only the static back for protection.  This leaves them susceptible to any knocks or drops.  While hard drive manufacturers generally provide waranty support for OEM drives.  This is definitely a case where buying non OEM is worth consideration.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:48 AM