WHS Client Backup Fails - Volume is Currently Missing RRS feed

• Question

• During a WHS backup from a newly replaced boot drive on my client Vista 64 PC, I am receiving an error message "The backup failed because the volume is currently missing. The event log on the server contains the volume name."

My Vista 64 boot drive failed. I had installed a temporary drive until the replacement drive was rx'd from the manuf. I had to recover use Acronis because WHS recovery needed an Ethernet driver that I didn't have easily available. (valuable lesson learned)

After receiving the replacement drive from the manuf, I restored it using Acronis Clone.

Once everything was up and running normally, I attempted to do a manual backup from the new drive to WHS. I've tried, unsuccessfully, several times getting the same error: "The backup failed because the volume is currently missing. The event log on the server contains the volume name."

I looked at the Backup Details and it says "The volume is currently missing. {long hex volume name with dashes}

I performed a cleanup to no avail. Plenty of capacity available.

Now what? Running WHS PP1.

Thanks for any help.

Jerryz
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:04 PM

Answers

• Jerry, please go through backup configuration again for that computer, then try another backup. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Jerry-Z Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:15 PM

All replies

• Jerry, please go through backup configuration again for that computer, then try another backup. 
    • Marked as answer by Jerry-Z Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Ken,
    Done. It's doing the backup now.

When I initially tried to "Configure Backup" as you suggested, I got a message "Cannot backup this volume. This volume is not eligible for backup." BUT, after I closed the alert, I noticed that the "old" drive was still showing in the list, although not selected. I just hit "Next" and it configured the new drive.

Thanks, as usual.

Jerry
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:47 PM
  • I am having a similar problem to Jerry's. That is, WHS does not recognize a new volume. Like Jerry, I made a disc image using Acronis, I used this to copy all data to a new hard drive which I installed in my laptop.

First of all, when I try to back up my laptop with its new boot drive, The message I now get when attempting to Configure Backup reads:

"This computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive. Please make sure the computer is powered on and connected to your network."

The computer is powered on and connected to the network. I am able to read and write to the files stored on WHS. I am just not able to back up my laptop boot drive to WHS.

As suggested in the Help files, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling WHS Connector software. This did not resolve the problem, as WHS still computes the volume as missing. It seems to be unable to assign a new volume record to this computer name, or something like that.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Paul

XP, SP3
    Intel Pentium M
    2.00 GHz, 1.00 GB, 320GB

WHS PP2
    AMD Sempron LE-1150
    1.97 GB
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:34 AM
  • My suggestion is to use Windows Home Server to restore a backup of the old hard drive to the new hard drive. You can either use the Restore CD for this, or you can connect the new hard drive to a computer joined to your server (I use a SATA/IDE to USB bridge device to cnnect a bare drive, but you can install the drive if you prefer :) ) and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe to run the same code as the Restore CD, just hosted in a full Windows OS.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:55 AM
  • (resurrecting this old thread - but it just recently helped me so i'm posting a bit more - perhaps will prove helpful for people seeking solutions to this as it helped me...)

i had a similar situation - i replaced a standard HDD in my laptop with a new SSD - my "plan" was to conduct a thorough bkp via WHS, replace the HD with the SSD, perform a restore operation - QED

but.. i couldn't get the restore CD environment to recognize the network drivers, no matter how much i tried :( so i went out and found some decent disk cloning software and made it happen

when i came back up, i couldn't get the WHS to fully complete a backup

until i read this thread (thx ken - i voted you up) -- but i wanted to add to your final comment above (april 15, 2009 - omg!lol) that sometimes it isn't possible to connect to the WHS after replacing a client hard drive for the reason of network drivers :(

i've never heard of your method though: tether the fresh new HD to a WHS-connected (and running in a full WinOS environment!) and restore the bkp to that tethered HD - interesting! and "thank you!"

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 12:42 AM