none
Previous/Next Thread Navigation RRS feed

• Question

• It would be very nice to have a 'Previous/Next' thread navigation option (Perhaps by the [Start New Thread] button.)

As a Moderator, and active participant, I want every way possible to reduce the keystokes and wait time to move between threads.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:56 PM

Answers

• Well said Oblansky!

I think we have to spend some time really thinking about this and perhaps come up with a way that would help moderators post.

I liked the idea of putting "Reply" links in the thread preview, which would be good as long as the reply is done on the same threads page (as if you were already on the thread page) and didn't navigate you away.

We only show the first 10 posts in a thread in preview but with an average of 3-4 posts per thread it won't be often that you'd have to go to the thread page itself to see everything.

thoughts?

Sam Jarawan STO Forums Senior Development Lead
    Friday, February 22, 2008 5:37 AM

All replies

• Stay on the threads page and use preview perhaps?
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:19 AM

• Sam Jarawan said:

Stay on the threads page and use preview perhaps?

That is NOT really an attraction option for a moderator.

As a moderator, I would like to be able to read a thread, reply to the thread, and then step into the next thread.

So far, with this release, I must go to the top of the thread, perhaps one or many keystrokes, depending upon thread length, navigate back to the thread lising, and then click on the next thread.

How about really making effort easier for those of us that maintain the forums?
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:03 PM
  • since the threads in a forum view are in no fixed order 'next' thread is somewhat nebulous.

it would be simple to get the next in date order, though that is a bit inconsistant UI from the forum view to the thread view.

the whole 'next/prev' thread model is common in old systems, but doesn't have the same relevance for a data driven model, which this sort of is. I will admit that this would be useful for the specific case of moderation and might make sense as a moderator feature. I think that it would not be good for users as it would drive behavior away from search->refine->interact to the old browse->next->next pattern

you should read more
    Friday, February 22, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Well said Oblansky!

I think we have to spend some time really thinking about this and perhaps come up with a way that would help moderators post.

I liked the idea of putting "Reply" links in the thread preview, which would be good as long as the reply is done on the same threads page (as if you were already on the thread page) and didn't navigate you away.

We only show the first 10 posts in a thread in preview but with an average of 3-4 posts per thread it won't be often that you'd have to go to the thread page itself to see everything.

thoughts?

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:37 AM
  • Having a [Reply] button on the thread 'Preview' (as well as a 'close preview' at the bottom -would most definitely make working the threads a simplier task for moderators.

Great suggestion!
    Friday, February 22, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Hi Arnie,

The ability to reply from thread preview will be coming in an upcoming release. See how that addresses this need, and what further improvements might be needed to streamline the answering process. I'm going to go ahead and mark this as answered for now.

-Andrew
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:02 PM
  •  
    Arnie Rowland said:

So far, with this release, I must go to the top of the thread, perhaps one or many keystrokes, depending upon thread length, navigate back to the thread lising, and then click on the next thread.

How about really making effort easier for those of us that maintain the forums?

I can understand your frustration, especially if there is more than one page on a thread or you are at the bottom of a thread. When I am posting, I ether use my backspace key (I am very keyboard shortcut oriented) or I go back to the top of the page and use the breadcrumbs. If you look under the header, you have a list for example of this forum, of Microsoft > Forums > Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums > Previous/Next Thread Navigation. You may already know this, but for the benefit of others reading this, these are hot links. This would alleviate having to go back through multiple pages.

I know you still have to go all the way back to the top of the page, maybe if the dev team could also put the breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page, or a floating toolbar somewhere along the left in all the blank realestate. I also like the idea of a previous/next button, maybe context sensitive, so it knows which mode you are in? (IE: unread, all messages, unanswered ...) I know this might take a bit, but if everything is in a backend database, shouldn't it know the current data set? I'm not a database programmer, so I don't know.

Thanks again for putting up with us :-)
    Steve
    Friday, May 16, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Sam Jarawan said:

First of all, not just moderators. I'm an MVP but not a moderator, and I read a lot of threads too. I even answer a few.

Second, I think the paradigm should be search/filter/sort/browse. Whatever threads are displayed as a result of any search and filter, and which may then be sorted, those are the threads that should be navigated via next/prev buttons. And while you're at it, maybe have a "back to list" button to go back to the list of threads that was visible before you clicked the first sorted/filtered/search thread.

John Saunders
    • Proposed as answer by Kamran Shahid Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:34 AM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:26 AM
  • I am new to the forums and want to learn about Entity Framework.  One way is to read all the questions/answers.   I don't understand why I can't hit NEXT thread.  If I had the original list in some sort order (or the default order) then the next is the next item > the current item.   Maybe I am missing something but jumping back to the original page and REMEMBERING which exact thread you were on.  .  What am I missing?

Jim
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 1:16 PM
  • What am I missing?

Using the preview buttons or opening threads in new tabs or windows.   Any of those leave your original position in the message list unchanged.

---

Sunday, December 5, 2010 2:16 PM