MS Security Center Vs. MS WLOC: Which is the Liar ????? RRS feed

• Question

• Looks like WLOC (2.0.2500.22) is not telling the truth. For the record: Vista Ultimate 4Gb PhysMem, Terabyte HD, etc.

Ok, MS WLOC green shield, reports being up-to-date: status good.  MS Windows Security Center says there is no firewall and NO antivirus-malware protection on the computer. AdminTools /Services says WLOC started normally as did WLOC Firewall and WLOC anti-spyware and anti-virus. 

ControlPanel /Problems and Solutions reports an amazing slew of WLOC Generic Errors WinSS 8004100a.  I have sent off about 50 of them to MS in the last 3 days. I got zero solutions back so far.

But wait, there is more:  When I activate the Windows firewall Security Center reports it is protecting my computer.  After a while though, something turns it off.  My guess WLOC is to blame.

When I bring up TaskManager, I no longer see WinSS as a running process. Winssnotify does appear there nothing else I reconize as WLOC related. In Taskman /Services I see MpsSvc (Winfirewall) and MsfwSvc (WLOCFirewall) both running.  I recognize no other WLOC related service.

I googled error 8001400a, with zero results.

What should I do?

This post contain a Windows generated error code.

Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:57 PM

Answers

• If the other reply doesn't resolve the Security Center problem - 

Windows Security Center fix - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

You can't turn on the Windows Firewall as the OneCare Firewall is running. I don't know why you are getting the winss errors, though. Note that the error reports you are sending are going to a database for review. A solution can be many weeks and even months in coming depending on the details and the cause of the problem. The errors are going to the Windows team, not the OneCare team, though those same errors are being reported (without intervention) by OneCare to the server during regular communications.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:17 PM

All replies

• Go to Services (Start -> Run -> services.msc)
    Find Windows Management Instrumentation and right-click, choose Pause.
    Now open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Windows\System32\wbem and rename the directory to wbem.bak
    Now go back into the Services window and right-click on Windows Management Instrumentation and choose Resume. Now find the Security Center service, right-click and choose Restart. If the status of the Security Center does not change, then reboot.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:36 PM
  • If the other reply doesn't resolve the Security Center problem - 

Windows Security Center fix - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

You can't turn on the Windows Firewall as the OneCare Firewall is running. I don't know why you are getting the winss errors, though. Note that the error reports you are sending are going to a database for review. A solution can be many weeks and even months in coming depending on the details and the cause of the problem. The errors are going to the Windows team, not the OneCare team, though those same errors are being reported (without intervention) by OneCare to the server during regular communications.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:17 PM