Power Saving RRS feed

• Question

• What changes if any will be made to WHS v2 in regards to better power savings? This was a huge oversight in v1 and add-ins were needed. Looking forward to trying the beta this weekend.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:06 AM

Answers

• Wake on LAN support is very dependent on the flavor of NIC and Drivers, therefore we chose not to attempt to create a solution that claims to always work. On the other hand, we’ve set the default power savings for drives to idea if not used for 20 minutes. There are existing add-in writers which I suspect will take the opportunity to add this functionality to “Vail”.

Thanks,

Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:03 AM

All replies

• None, as far as I can see. It's a server, so by design it's on 24/7. There isn't anything in the dashboard that supports putting the server into a low power mode and waking it later, there's no Wake On LAN (if it works for you, great; it's not a technology the average non-technical consumer will be able to deal with, so it's not in Vail), and so on.

There's room for add-ins, however, for those who want this sort of functionality. I'm sure there's nothing to disable the ability to hibernate the server, or put it into standby. I don't know if it will wake regularly like V1 will (by default, until you disable a service), because my server is on 24/7.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:24 AM
  • If not, then I think it is still an oversight to expect by design that a
    server designed for limited home usage (10 computers) will or should be left
    on 24/7. Perhaps there should be a little less 'usual server' thinking (as
    there was with v1 - and we said so in feedback), and more 'home server'
    thinking with this one. Just my thoughts on that... :)

Perhaps some kind of settable hibernation mode option with the option to
    wake up on access would be an idea.

--
    Art (artfudd) Folden
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ken Warren" wrote in message news:d3e9d473-6d9f-424b-8265-2d3ea1b55712...
    > None, as far as I can see. It's a server, so by design it's on 24/7. There
    > isn't anything in the dashboard that supports putting the server into a
    > low power mode and waking it later, there's no Wake On LAN (if it works
    > for you, great; it's not a technology the average non-technical consumer
    > will be able to deal with, so it's not in Vail), and so on.
    >
    > There's room for add-ins, however, for those who want this sort of
    > functionality. I'm sure there's nothing to disable the ability to
    > hibernate the server, or put it into standby. I don't know if it will wake
    > regularly like V1 will (by default, until you disable a service), because
    > my server is on 24/7.
    >
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Wake on LAN support is very dependent on the flavor of NIC and Drivers, therefore we chose not to attempt to create a solution that claims to always work. On the other hand, we’ve set the default power savings for drives to idea if not used for 20 minutes. There are existing add-in writers which I suspect will take the opportunity to add this functionality to “Vail”.

Thanks,

Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Thanks for all the responses. Any official word from the MS Mods on here? This should be a top priority IMHO as more folks add more drives to their WHS. Folks are complaining about the 10 drive limit so that should give MS an idea of the amount off drives in the average WHS. We dont need something as complex as the LightsOut add-in but a basic hybid sleep\stand-by\hibernate mode should be included. MS can include a HCL list that abides to their power saving standard so the end user can choose the appropriate hardware.

Just my 2c.

MS what are the chances of going green with WHS v2?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:53 PM
  • there's no Wake On LAN (if it works for you, great; it's not a technology the average non-technical consumer will be able to deal with, so it's not in Vail),

The consumer shouldn't have to get involved that is true, but the xbox for example can send WoL packets to media servers so support would be neat - also the connector could have WoL built in.
    --
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:35 PM
  • The consumer shouldn't have to get involved that is true, but the xbox for example can send WoL packets to media servers so support would be neat - also the connector could have WoL built in.
    Please post that on Connect , but don't be surprised if it get's shot down by Microsoft. If they officially include Wake On LAN support in the product, they're buying into the idea that almost all PC hardware out there is configured to support it out of the box. Which we know isn't true...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:25 PM