I need a simple explanation of the new blue folders in Mesh (and P2P) RRS feed

• Question

• About a month ago, Mesh was working great. Now, when I try to create and sync folder from my main PC to my Laptop, I get all these extra blue folders cluttering up my Desktop.

I'm trying to simply do peer-to-peer syncing between two computers while avoiding any syncing with Live Desktop. But let's say I right click a folder (FOLDER 1) on my main PC to add it to Mesh. I make these selections for each device:

Live Destop = Never with this device
    PC = When files are added or modified
    Laptop = When files are added or modified

Then on my Laptop, I make the exact same selections for the mirror folder (FOLDER 1). Everything seems fine at this point, but the problem starts when Mesh creates a brand new dark blue folder on my PC desktop. Then Mesh wants to sync to that new desktop folder and not the Documents folder (FOLDER 1) I originally selected. I try to delete this dark blue desktop folder, then it leaves a light blue shortcut folder in it's place. I delete that, then my original folder (FOLDER 1) loses it's blue syncing settings. And when I try to delete these same folders from Live Desktop, everything stops syncing. And sometimes it creates duplicate shortcut folders in Live Desktop. Arrrggg!!! These blue folders all over the place are very annoying/confusing and create lots of clutter. What am I doing wrong?

Can someone simply explain what steps and what what settings I need to set for peer-to-peer syncing?

And yes, I've looked through the forum, and looked through the help pages already. They aren't very helpful in figuring out my specific problem so far.

Thanks a million.
    Josh
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:39 AM

Answers

• This part is good for p2p:
    "I'm trying to simply do peer-to-peer syncing between two computers while avoiding any syncing with Live Desktop. But let's say I right click a folder (FOLDER 1) on my main PC to add it to Mesh. I make these selections for each device:

Laptop = When files are added or modified"

Now just one more step.
    [added text] - The next step refers to the action to take when the light blue folder appears on the target PC before the sync starts.

For location browse to the folder you wish to sync to ( example: C:\Users\Josh\Documents ), select it, click ok, you will see a pop up that asks "Sync with an existing folder?", select Yes. The Mesh folder will disappear from your desktop. Repeat this on the other computers.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:02 AM
  • This is where you are going astray:
    "I now go to my LAPTOP and find the mirror FOLDER and right click.
    6) I select "Add folder to Live Mesh..."
    7) It gives me a pop-up to "Add folder to Live Mesh""

By doing the above, you are adding another unique folder to your Mesh with a source of Laptop and it is going to be offered to the Desktop.

Instead of the above, wait for the folders you added on the Desktop to be offered to the latop. Then click the offered light blue folders on the laptop and use the browse button to navigate to the "mirror" folder you wish to "merge" into the offered Mesh folder and become the destination of the pair.

If you click that blue folder you have the option to accept the folder, in which case it ends up staying on the desktop of that PC or changing the location of the target to another existing location using the browse button. When you browse to an existing folder, you are merging them, even if the target location is empty. It the target contains files already, they are merged into the Mesh and you will need to address any conflicts that arise.

You cannot delete the light blue shortcut folder from the Live Desktop as it is still there for management of the folder sync options even though the contents are not synchronized with the Live Desktop.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:47 PM

All replies

• This part is good for p2p:
    "I'm trying to simply do peer-to-peer syncing between two computers while avoiding any syncing with Live Desktop. But let's say I right click a folder (FOLDER 1) on my main PC to add it to Mesh. I make these selections for each device:

Laptop = When files are added or modified"

Now just one more step.
    [added text] - The next step refers to the action to take when the light blue folder appears on the target PC before the sync starts.

For location browse to the folder you wish to sync to ( example: C:\Users\Josh\Documents ), select it, click ok, you will see a pop up that asks "Sync with an existing folder?", select Yes. The Mesh folder will disappear from your desktop. Repeat this on the other computers.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:02 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for the fast reply, but my Mesh options aren't the same as what you're suggesting.

I removed all Mesh folders and am starting completely from scratch. Here's my process:

For better understanding, my main PC will be called = MAIN PC
    my laptop will be called = LAPTOP
    the folder I'm trying to sync with on both computers is called FOLDER

1) I right click FOLDER on my MAIN PC and select "Add folder to Live Mesh..."
    2) It gives me a pop-up to "Add folder to Live Mesh"
    3) In the sync options, I select:
    MAIN PC = When files are added or modified
    LAPTOP = When files are added or modified
    4) Click OK and it creates a Live Mesh folder by turning FOLDER on my MAIN PC blue like it should. Fine so far.
    5) I now go to my LAPTOP and find the mirror FOLDER and right click.
    7) It gives me a pop-up to "Add folder to Live Mesh"
    8) In the sync options, I select:
    MAIN PC = When files are added or modified
    LAPTOP = When files are added or modified
    9) Click OK and it creates a Live Mesh folder by turning FOLDER on my LAPTOP blue like it should.
    10) now here's where things go wrong: I now have an entirely new dark blue FOLDER on my desktop on my MAIN PC and the same dark blue FOLDER on my desktop on my LAPTOP. Live Mesh now starts to sync to my desktop FOLDER and not the original FOLDER I had selected.

For example:
    I'm want to sync this on my MAIN PC = C:\Users\Josh\Documents\FOLDER
    to this on my LAPTOP = C:\Users\Josh\Documents\FOLDER

but instead, Live Mesh has created this annoying new folder on my desktop that it's trying to sync to:
    C:\Users\Josh\Desktop\FOLDER

Then, when I go to my Live Desktop, I see TWO light blue shortcut FOLDERS, both named exactly the same = FOLDER. Presumably this is one shortcut for my MAIN PC and one for my LAPTOP. But I don't want anything on my Live Desktop, and I don't want these dark blue folders on my regular desktop.

What Am I doing wrong? Why has Live Mesh made this so difficult and confusing?

JimR1, are you suggesting I click on the dark blue FOLDER on my desktop? Is that what you mean? If I do that, there's no pop up or anything that says "Sync with an existing folder." Please explain.

Thanks

Frustrated,
    Josh
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:11 PM
  • This is where you are going astray:
    "I now go to my LAPTOP and find the mirror FOLDER and right click.
    7) It gives me a pop-up to "Add folder to Live Mesh""

By doing the above, you are adding another unique folder to your Mesh with a source of Laptop and it is going to be offered to the Desktop.

Instead of the above, wait for the folders you added on the Desktop to be offered to the latop. Then click the offered light blue folders on the laptop and use the browse button to navigate to the "mirror" folder you wish to "merge" into the offered Mesh folder and become the destination of the pair.

If you click that blue folder you have the option to accept the folder, in which case it ends up staying on the desktop of that PC or changing the location of the target to another existing location using the browse button. When you browse to an existing folder, you are merging them, even if the target location is empty. It the target contains files already, they are merged into the Mesh and you will need to address any conflicts that arise.

You cannot delete the light blue shortcut folder from the Live Desktop as it is still there for management of the folder sync options even though the contents are not synchronized with the Live Desktop.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Ok Stephen,

I'm with you so far:

1) I've added a FOLDER to my MAIN PC desktop only (and didn't do anything on my LAPTOP yet).
    2) I sign in to Mesh on my LAPTOP and I see that there is a new blue folder on the desktop of my LAPTOP just like you said.
    3) But if I right click that blue folder and view Mesh options, I don't have the option to "browse" and change the location. In other words, I can see the locations path: C:\Users\Josh\Desktop\FOLDER  , but that and the "browse" button are greyed out so I can't click them. I assume this is the place where I should be able to "browse" as you say and find the correct path I want, which is this: C:\Users\Josh\Documents\FOLDER  ? How can I get that greyed out section to allow me to change the location?

Thanks for your help,
    Josh
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:52 PM
  • If the folder on the laptop is dark blue, you cannot change the location.
    If the folder is a light blue shortcut, it is still in "offer" state. Left click the folder to enable the browse button.
    If the folder is dark blue, remove the folder from your Mesh again or change the sync settings on the desktop PC or Live Desktop to "never sync" with the laptop. The blue folder will become a normal Windows folder on the laptop. Delete or move the folder from the laptop's desktop. Delete the folder on the Live Desktop to start anew.
    Change the settings again to sync with the laptop in order to get the light blue shortcut.
    -steve
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:28 PM
  • "I'm trying to simply do peer-to-peer syncing between two computers while avoiding any syncing with Live Desktop." Hi, I found your thread because I too have been confused about blue folders, P2P of the mesh, etc. etc. I quoted the above because I don't know if your aware of Live Sync which, given your requirements, may be a better functional fit. True, it does seem to lack visual clues re folders being used but you can always get a list of them by clicking the shortcut icon. Just an observation without intent to hijack or confuse this tread.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Live Sync is indeed a good option for pure P2P sync - no cloud based component. It is a released product. Rumor has it that we will see Live Mesh, Live Sync, and SkyDrive merge in the future along with the other services that use Live Sync and SkyDrive storage (Photos).
    -steve
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Ok Steve,

Everything seems to be working fine for now. I did what you said and got my folders to do what they're supposed to do.

I don't know about everyone else, but all those folders appearing and changing locations seems excesively confusing to me (and probably to most new/average users).

As for Live Sync, never heard of it until now. I'm already "en-meshed" with Mesh now, so I'll wait and see if MS decides to combine them all or what.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Glad to hear that all is well, now. :-) Yes, it *is* confusing!
    -steve
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:25 AM