Disk spin down? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a power usage question with WHS. Right now I'm running the RC1 build.

Does WHS spin down the drives when they are not being used? If yes, does it matter how they are connected to the motherboard? SATA/IDE/PATA/ESATA/FC/ etc etc??

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:47 PM

Answers

• Not by default. If you want drives to spin down, you can configure that in power options, but I don't know how effective it will really be, as Drive Extender is constantly working in the background.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:29 PM

All replies

• Not by default. If you want drives to spin down, you can configure that in power options, but I don't know how effective it will really be, as Drive Extender is constantly working in the background.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:29 PM
  • Ouch. That's not too good.

My array has 20 drives right now and will probably grow to a lot more. Keeping all thos drives spun up all the time is gonna be expensive from a power consumption perspective as well as from a disk lifespan perspective.

Any ideas?

Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:36 PM
  • In terms of disk lifespan they'll probably last longer than constant spinning up/down cycles.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:49 PM
  • I have been told by HP tech support that the HP home server does not like drives that "go green" and spin down.  When the HP server tries to reach the drive then it goes into alarm and signals a lost drive.

Friday, July 4, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Has this situation changed with more recent versions of WHS? It'd be nice to have it idle drives whose content isn't needed. Without failing them out, of course.
    Friday, October 8, 2010 4:56 PM
  • There is no "more recent version" of Windows Home Server. The next version is still in beta.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 8, 2010 5:02 PM