Computers not showing in Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed the Eval for WHS to test out before purchase. I've a number of XP pro PCs on my wired home network and remote access is enabled on each of them. I can easily RDP between machines. When I log into WHS, none of the machines appear in the "Remote Access to Computers" page. Shares on the WHS can be accessed remotely.

WHS can "see" the PCs in the Network section of Windows Explorer and I can connect to the shares on those PCs. I can RDP from the WHS machine as well but still nothing appears in the "Remote Access to Computers" page.

Any ideas what I'm missing.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:17 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server knows nothing about your home PCs until the connector is installed. That includes what operating system they are running and whether they are configured to accept incoming remote desktop connections (assuming that the base OS is capable of hosting a remote desktop session in the first place).
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:53 PM

All replies

• Did you install the Connector software (found in the server share \Software\Home Server Connector Software) on all of the client machines, and reboot them after installation?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Ah.... no I haven't done that as I didn't see anything in the documentation which said you needed to do that to get the remote computer access to work. Most of the paperwork only discusses required ports and RDP type access setup.

So unlike browsing under terminal services, you have to install the connector in order for your PCs to appear in the list.

I knew that was the case for the backup side of things but there's nothing I could find to say it was needed for remote access.

I'll try that tonight.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:36 AM
  • Windows Home Server knows nothing about your home PCs until the connector is installed. That includes what operating system they are running and whether they are configured to accept incoming remote desktop connections (assuming that the base OS is capable of hosting a remote desktop session in the first place).
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Installed the connector software and the client PC now appears in the list. Couple of tweaks and I can remote connect to it ok.

Pity this wasn't clearer in the documentation.

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:41 AM