Lost Product Key/COA RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows XP Pro was detected as invalid. Therefore, my VLK is blocked.

I own a OEM or Upgrade (don't remember which) version of Windows 98, since then, we've gone through several re-installation for my older computers (people hacking my computer, thanks to my novice skills), so yes, I have been a long-time user of windows. A few friends of mine gave me (unknowingly at the time) a "image" of Windows ME. Since then, I threw that disc out.

The thing is, if we installed 98 again, we'd be at risk of being hacked again, at the time, I didn't know anything about computers, not the safety measures, routers, and all those small details - was the reason for going to a friend for a more secure version. Even with WXP, it'd still be the same reason.

Windows XP came out, we went to another friend, this time, I valued in trusting him, since he was like a tech guy, so I gave him the go sign for him to install a fresh new copy on my system. I ran this for many, many years. Which surprised me, since knowing my previous history of being hacked. I didn't know if it was legit or not, until now. It also seems like someone else hacked my system, and used my VLK, hampered with my system recently (some programs not working properly, found new errors, my start bar disappeared, some files have a blue filename), and then wiped it out just a few months ago.

Now I'm stuck with what to do. I don't have a printed COA or product key, I lost it somewhere. However, since I saw the genuine label, I threw out my disc, because I panicked.

I don't want to be shelling $145 dollars for a new XP, when I plan to buy an OEM of Vista (out of awareness of the genuine program) to go with my planned purchase of Xbox 360. It just wouldn't make sense.

My plan was to wait for vista to come out, but I also have to use XP for my old printer, and other software, such as a router, so that plan was delayed until summer. I plan to get a new custom-made computer (like the one I'm using right now), and an OEM of Vista.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 6:44 PM

Answers

• NeoGen,

Two months before Vista launched, several USA big-box office supply and consumer electronics retailers were selling Upgrade copies of XP Home Edition for as little as $29-39 after rebate (normal pcrice was $99).  Using the genuine W98 CDROM that you have as the required "qualifying media," you could have purchased XP Home upgrade and would have been 100% genuine.

Here are some suggestions:

1.  On your current computer, install the W98 that you have and use free firewall software (ZoneAlarm) and free antivirus software (AVG) to help secure it.  If you are on a broadband connection behind a good-quality Home Gateway/Router unit that has a Stateful Packet Inspection firewall, the combination of those two plus the SPI firewall on the router offers excellent protection.

--OR--

2.  On your current computer, purchase and install genuine systembuilder/OEM license for XP Home Edition.  I see these at trusted local computer shops for as little as $75.  Systembuilder/OEM licenses for XP Pro sell for around $125.  Use the included Windows Firewall and a free antivirus program (AVG) to help secure the computer.

3.  When you are ready, purchase the new computer from a trusted local shop or store with genuine Windows Vista preinstalled.

4.  Download and install an alternative Operating System.  I hear a lot of positive things about Ubuntu Linux.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:30 PM

All replies

• NeoGen,

Two months before Vista launched, several USA big-box office supply and consumer electronics retailers were selling Upgrade copies of XP Home Edition for as little as $29-39 after rebate (normal pcrice was $99).  Using the genuine W98 CDROM that you have as the required "qualifying media," you could have purchased XP Home upgrade and would have been 100% genuine.

Here are some suggestions:

1.  On your current computer, install the W98 that you have and use free firewall software (ZoneAlarm) and free antivirus software (AVG) to help secure it.  If you are on a broadband connection behind a good-quality Home Gateway/Router unit that has a Stateful Packet Inspection firewall, the combination of those two plus the SPI firewall on the router offers excellent protection.

--OR--

2.  On your current computer, purchase and install genuine systembuilder/OEM license for XP Home Edition.  I see these at trusted local computer shops for as little as $75.  Systembuilder/OEM licenses for XP Pro sell for around $125.  Use the included Windows Firewall and a free antivirus program (AVG) to help secure the computer.

3.  When you are ready, purchase the new computer from a trusted local shop or store with genuine Windows Vista preinstalled.

4.  Download and install an alternative Operating System.  I hear a lot of positive things about Ubuntu Linux.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 8:30 PM
  • Looks like I'm stuck with option 2. That would mean I would have to live without windows media player. Or just waste 129 dollars on XP Pro.

God, I'm having a lot of money problems, but I have to solve this to prevent myself from getting sued, because Microsoft enjoys hurting their users.

I did not intend to have a invalid Windows XP.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 7:59 PM