key change tool not working, please Help RRS feed

• Question

• When trying update my key to the key on my COA using M$ key update tool i get an error immediately after pressing RUN this error says "This application must be run on a supported version of the windows xp operating system!"

DETAILS ARE:

Toshiba Sat Pro

XP media centre Installed AND on the COA

*****-*****-*****-*****-64KVW (COA key)

DSG Retail Ltd (in black lettering!)

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM
    Windows Product Key Hash: W9oNvBRsiyuwnnUS3Z41cRuAWcM=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-365-6725323-22710
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    ID: 0126a2e8-94b1-414d-b949-3ae9077cb6e1
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_7E90FEE8-169-80004005_B4D0AA8B-513-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\syssetup.dll

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>0126a2e8-94b1-414d-b949-3ae9077cb6e1</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-J4JTM</PKey><PID>76487-365-6725323-22710</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-606747145-1425521274-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite Pro A60</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>Version 1.90</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050304000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7B563C07018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

QUESTION, if using the right Product is obviously so important why do microsoft let PC manufacturers use a common key on all similar systems? I.E. I bought a new ADVENT Media PC and the actual Product Key does not match the COA, When i phoned ADVENT i was informed that all MASS produced PC's went through a process where by the hard drive was loaded with an image rather than having windows installed on everyone because of time and the fact that similar PC's would obviously require the same drivers etc... SO why doesn't M$ stop this and make them use the KEY on your COA? AND WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY GIVE YOU THE WINDOWS DISK ANYMORE??? THEIR RECOVERY DISK SUCKS AND IS FULL OF UNWANTED SOFTWARE!!

Sorry for the rant but to get a recovery disk from Advent would mean a 30min call on a 090 number!(1.50 a min)

Would like to convert to Genuine ASAP

Monday, February 19, 2007 2:10 AM

Answers

• Short Circuit,

Borrow from friends, relatives, etc.

Maybe even go to a local computer shop and pay them a few bucks to burn a copy of a genuine CD, if you are desperate.

Resist the temptation to download------MS research shows downloaded .isos of MS installation CD have a 50% chance of having been embedded with rootkits, viruses, and goodness-knows-what-else.

MS does sell replacement media, but only if your COA has "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed directly under the name of the product--COAs with this notation came with systembuilder/OEM CDs.  Since your computers are from big name manufacturers the COAs won't have this notation and instead should have the name of the manufacturer printed under the name of the product, and the big name manufacturer is responsible for their own CD replacement policy.

Monday, February 19, 2007 5:56 PM

All replies

• The Windows Product Key Update Tool was not designed to work with a Windows XP Media Center product key.
    Monday, February 19, 2007 3:46 AM
  • Short Circuit,

As Carey noted, the Updater Utility does not work with Media Center Editions of XP.

Your issue is deeper than just a mass-produced PK used on the computer.  As you were told, this is a common deployment practice with large computer manufacturers but it is not the reason why your computer is being ID'd as having a nongenuine installation of XP.

The report is showing that you have a "retail" installation (license type) of Media Center.

Windows License Type: Retail                  Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med

The problem with that is there is no such thing as a Retail license for Media Center (IOW they are not offered for sale in retail packaging that you would find at a major electronics retailer).  Genuine copies would have shown up in the report as either "COA/sysembuilder" [sic] or "OEM SLP."

The above data, plus the fact that you have two system files listed as being mismatched indicates that the current installation is a "hacked and cracked" installation of XP Media Center.  Since the computer's COA is for MCE, we have to assume that it came from Toshiba with a valid installation of MCE, but between then and now a nongenuine installation wa done.  At one time, was the computer sent to a shop for repair, or did someone install a downloaded copy of XP MCE onto the computer?

In order to get genuine, you will have to back up and offload your data, then run the manufacturer's recovery procedure to put the orginal genuine installation of XP MCE back onto the computer.

Monday, February 19, 2007 4:00 AM
  • I am currently studying to become a MCSA and MCSE and although i am only three quarters through i am pretty sure i am right in saying that Media Centre is nothing more than an extension to Windows XP Pro! THE FIRST INSTALL DISK IS XP PRO THE SECOND HAS MCE TO ADD ONTO THE 1ST!

OKAY THEN, i have a xp home machine that requires a full reinstall, i have the COA but what i really need is the disk? Where can i buy JUST THE DISK?

OR...Is this another one of them situations where i would be forced to purchase a full license AGAIN just because my original disk has been misplaced??? If thats the case then here i come Mac (or maybe Linux?)

I'm sorry if i sound arrogant or funny BUT i am really annoyed that i have Three machine here ALL WITH THEIR OWN COA but i have no disks to use and i keep being told that i will have to buy three new xp licenses? You must understand that ANYONE in my position would prefer to make the switch to linux in order to save themselves 900quid on retail versions of software they already have licenses to use AND when the competitor is FREE under the GULA.

Monday, February 19, 2007 4:03 AM
  • thanks for the response dan,

the system was reinstalled using a friends disk that i believed to be real!

My problem is that BOTH Advent AND TOSHIBA will now not supply Recovery media due to the length of time i have had the system! ADVENT said they were willing to go half way by charging me for the recovery disk (75quid) AFTER i had just spent 20 mins on a call that cost me 1.50 per min. why should i pay twice and get a version that is full of software that is FORCED onto your computer regardless if you want it or not???

IN SHORT, what can i do to start using the Keys i have? I have a laptop with an XP Home key, a laptop with an XP Pro key and a desktop with an MCE key?

BY THE WAY my XP HOME laptop COA has absolutly NOTHING apart from the key and a barcode writen on it (+hologram), is that normal? It's the only one i have ever seen like it but it came straight from Toshiba like that, Doesn't even say Windows on it? Just genuine in the Hologram?

Monday, February 19, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Short Circuit,

Not all manufacturers use separate Recovery CDs, in fact most use only a hidden recovery partition on the hard disk drive.

Since about August 2005, most manufacturers include an installed utility that makes one set of Recovery CDs/DVDs.

Fortunately, if recovery media or procedures are not available to you, in the case of both XP Home and Pro, genuine MS hologrammed systembuilder/OEM CDROMs can be used in place of the manufacturer's recovery media.  Matching the edition (XP Home or XP Pro) of the systembuilder/OEM CD to the edition of the COA on the computer, you can use the systembuilder/OEM CD in concert with the Product Key on the COA to install XP.  Do Not use the PK that came with the CD--use the PK on the COA.  After installation, automatic online activation will fail so you have to do a telephonic activation and will most likely have to speak with an activation rep.  You explain that the manufacturer's recovery CDs were lost and that you are using the generic systembuilder/OEM media instead.

The above should work identically with XP MCE, but I cannot say so personally because I have not had occasion to do this with XP MCE.

Monday, February 19, 2007 4:31 AM
  • cheers,

BUT, where can iget a "genuine MS hologrammed systembuilder/OEM CDROMs" without paying for the license again?

I REALLY appreciate your help DAN!

Monday, February 19, 2007 4:55 AM
  • Short Circuit,

Borrow from friends, relatives, etc.

Maybe even go to a local computer shop and pay them a few bucks to burn a copy of a genuine CD, if you are desperate.

Resist the temptation to download------MS research shows downloaded .isos of MS installation CD have a 50% chance of having been embedded with rootkits, viruses, and goodness-knows-what-else.

MS does sell replacement media, but only if your COA has "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed directly under the name of the product--COAs with this notation came with systembuilder/OEM CDs.  Since your computers are from big name manufacturers the COAs won't have this notation and instead should have the name of the manufacturer printed under the name of the product, and the big name manufacturer is responsible for their own CD replacement policy.

Monday, February 19, 2007 5:56 PM
  • OKAY, managed to get a OEM system builder CD for my Media Centre and the the Original key has gone in just fine! Now i dont seem to have media centre tab anywhere in the start menu? I have installed twice now! If i have posted this in the wrong forum please could you forward me a link to the correct threads?

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-FKXK8-FHDKB-64KVW
    Windows Product Key Hash: fj5dxN2tNrm7+mDZlDW9so4lEMY=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2280441-32259
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    ID: ee4fa020-a12c-4fa0-9e8d-eddd721b0144
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>ee4fa020-a12c-4fa0-9e8d-eddd721b0144</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-64KVW</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2280441-32259</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-583907252-1123561945-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite Pro A60</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Version>Version 1.90</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050304000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>39543C07018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

ANY IDEAS BEFORE I NEED TO ACTIVATE??

Cheers

Monday, February 19, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Monday, February 19, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Short Circuit,

This is a good MCE forum, too:  http://thegreenbutton.com/default.aspx

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 1:40 AM