backup suddenly slow with new HD RRS feed

• Question

• I replaced a drive in my source computer (after help here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f9c80207-692a-4717-973b-9e46f2bac259/#ba82e828-596e-4a15-9573-36f272684400)

And then ran out of room so replaced drive in the WHS with a 1.5tb WD.

Backup is very slow (36 hours to get to 90% - then crapped out because of a network issue).

From what I read in that top post, WHS should not be copying all the data over again - should just be comparing what is there to what I have (ie 99% of files will be the same).  Is this waht is taking so long?  Or is it actually copying the whole new drive in the source computer over again?

I followed instructions in that post - simply added the new raid drive to the backup and left the old drive there as well. At this rate it will take 2 days or more to complete.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 1:21 PM

All replies

• A new disk with the same data means, each cluster must be verified (read, checked, if a cluster with same content already exists in the backup database), backed up and/or registered in the backup database. Depending from the amount of data this takes a lot of time.
    Also the network bandwidth and the performance of the WHS hardware may play a role here.

Subsequent backup attempts should be faster indeed, since the majority is already stored now,

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:22 PM
  • thanks olaf thats what I expected -however the backup just failed becuase of lack of storage space, which must mean  that it is trying to back up the whole volume

Its very strange, better go and chuck another drive at the WHS

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Well, at least the file containing the association of the clusters (as I assume) tends to grow a lot. Also the filling up of storage space may depend from other influencing factors, such as how many disks do you have, how many of each disk is claimed by shared folders or their duplicates, are there "abandoned" files stored in D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9} after a server crash or reinstallation or a wrong method of copying them to the server, is the backup database corrupt,

(If drive D: in the server is full, this may cause some bad behavior of the server.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:11 PM