Announcing the RC of the Windows Home Server 2011 Windows Phone 7 Connector RRS feed

All replies

• FYI...

I had real problems getting this to accept new settings (switch on Live tiles)
    Had to do reboot my Samsung Omina before the setting would take.

I hope this info is useful to others. 

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:01 PM
  • S-Puppy,

That information was very helpful, thank you. I rebooted by HTC Trophy, and it looks like everything is working now. Considering that I've never had to reboot the phone before, that was a bit unexpected. Good call!

- Greg
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Hi I cant seem to find a download  link for this app.. where can i find this app?

Regards

Dogo

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 10:36 AM
  • On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:36:31 +0000, dogo wrote:

Hi?I cant?seem to find a download? link for this app.. where can i find this app?

From the URL in the original post:

For further information, and access to the downloads to start testing
    today, please visit http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver. Please
    note this is a release candidate and as such is for testing purposes only.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    logout

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:30 PM
  • I'm trying to install the add-in on WHS 2011, and after it goes all the way through the install, at the very end I get "The add-in cannot be installed on the server" error. 

I'm installing via remote desktop, I've tried with the dashboard open and closed. 

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this? 

Thanks!

Friday, July 1, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Installing by remote desktop?

Try these instructions:

The Phone Connector Add-in comes as a standard Add-in package (*.wssx) that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center.

You can download this Add-in to any computer that is joined to the server. After the download is complete, simply double-click the installation package. The file extension is recognized by server-joined computers and this will trigger the automatic installation mechanism.

You will be required to install the Add-in byusing your Admin credentials (for Windows SBS 2011 Essentials), or your server password (for Windows Home Server andWindows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials). Follow the instructions to complete the wizard.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Thank you Phillip, I have attempted that as well with same results. I assumed that installing directly on the server might be better, but have attempted both. 

I do have other add-ins that went on the server without a hitch. 

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:08 PM
  • After running this install several times, I was able to see that the install creates several folders/files right before it fails (at which time it backs them all out).  I can't find any log or anything like that to help determine what is failing... 

Friday, July 1, 2011 5:53 PM
  • A couple of weeks into the beta, and I'm generally enjoying the app. I find that access to the music on my WHS is the most appealing feature. Lots of the videos I've recorded and stored on my WHS won't play on the phone. If you have any specific guidelines about how videos should be encoded to make them more compatible, then I'd be happy to do so. I know the team said they aren't really soliciting feature requests at this time, but I'm still going to throw in my 2¢:

• The ability to stream music while working in another app is essential. Otherwise, I'm stuck in the app. I know this is currently a technical limitation of the WP7 OS, but I'm hoping it will be addressed following the Mango release.
    • When the app is tombstoned, it takes a while to reload and then drops you back at the main menu, which is really inconvenient if you need to resume browsing shared files.
    • There's a considerable delay when you've cued a track and between tracks, even over Wi-Fi.
    • Search is alright, but I find it kind of awkward that you have to press the Search icon again to initiate the search. Seems like Enter on the keyboard ought to do it as well.
    • When you drill down to a specific song, it plays that song. You then have to back track or search again. No back or next?
    • Tighter integration with the Music+Video and Pictures hubs would be really nice. Ideally, I'd like to supplement my libraries of media that are physically on the phone with content from my WHS. Concerned this would cannibalize potential ZunePass subscribers?
    • You can copy picture files from the WHS to the phone. Why not the same for music?
    • Some kind of remote access to the WHS dashboard functions would be awesome.

Anyway, like I said. Solid initial effort. Keep up the good work!

- Greg
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:41 PM
  • FYI:  This beta is now closed.

Thanks everyone for all your downloads and feedback!

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home & Small Business Server Community Program Manager
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:46 PM