Windows SharePoint Services Web Application is failing to start RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working on a WSS 3.0 site (that I did not setup) and noticed that the timer jobs didn't seem to start correctly.  I found that web parts that were installed with stsadm were not going through, and the job was just getting stuck in the Timer Job Definitions page.  After borwsing around, I noticed that the Windows SharePoint Services Web Application service was stuck in the "Starting" mode.  I went ahead and clicked stop and then tried to restart it and got the following error:

Error during encryption or decryption. System error code 997.

I did a little research and saw that sometimes it is related to the password being changed.  I checked with the client and the password has not been changed for the WSS service account, but I went ahead and tried to update it anyway.  I used the following command:
    stsadm –o updatefarmcredentials –userlogin domain\user -password <password>

That update failed and the following events were logged:

Error decrypting credential Id 6a15aaa0-d9d1-47d7-bf9f-93f55aefcbe5 with owner Id c142d4f6-efcb-48ea-82ac-bb810373d96c during deploying of administration application pool credentials, please fix manually and try again.

Error decrypting credential Id 77226a17-1364-4650-ab55-bfabca52add2 with owner Id af1c764b-2fc5-4a6d-b228-6053042bad8a during deploying of administration application pool credentials, please fix manually and try again.

Error provisioning the local timer service instance during deploying of administration application pool credentials, please provision manually. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Error reencrypting credential Id 6a15aaa0-d9d1-47d7-bf9f-93f55aefcbe5 with owner Id c142d4f6-efcb-48ea-82ac-bb810373d96c during deploying of administration application pool credentials, please recreate credential manually. Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

Error reencrypting credential Id 77226a17-1364-4650-ab55-bfabca52add2 with owner Id af1c764b-2fc5-4a6d-b228-6053042bad8a during deploying of administration application pool credentials, please recreate credential manually. Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

So now the Central Admin Site is still up, but the content site is down.  I've put several hours worth of work into the site and really do not want to lose it.  I saw that there is a Microsoft KB on recreating the configuration database here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927156, but it doesn't go into much depth on what will happen and how to reconnect the content DB. 

So does anyone have experience on this?  Is there something else I should try first?  If I do have to go through with the Microsoft KB, what things should I document before creating a new configuration DB? It's a SBS, which is really annoying because iisreset and reboots take down a bunch of other things.  I really appreciate any input!

Thanks,

Steve

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, July 24, 2009 6:36 AM off-topic (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:19 PM

All replies