none
Web Browsers for Win 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully downloaded Win 10 and am operating it with certain difficulties.  The current major difficulty is that I wish to make Google Chrome my default browser since I use it most with the RSS feeds that I get.  I also with to use (but not as default) Firebox, and the new Edge for the separate things that I feel each is best at.

However, after reading and attempting to implement the many ideas I've found on various webpages, I can not get Google Chrome to be the default.   Some thingss I have already tried that failed to fix my problem are"

1. a new Sept 2015 downloaded directly from Google of Google Chrome was installed and seemingly ready to use EXCEPT for the "make it the default" that the settings sheet makes available, but when I try to do that, I get pushed to a webpage that gives me an error message says "you'll need a new app to open this http"
    2. using the newly installed Google Chrome's own settings page to select "make this my default" which does not work because Win 10's Control Panel (in "Associate ..." and in other places I get referred to a page that says either select a Web Browser but that page has no options available (even though I have Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Opera, and others, including I presume Edge) on my computer already installed.
    3. Even "set your default program" which lists Google Chrome, does not (when I click on Google Chrome) let "Set this program as default" or the line below "choose defaults for this program" which shows HTTP as unchecked (no matter how many times I check it and SAVE it), well, that does not work either
    4. The "Associate a file type with a program" listing shows both .htm and html as Google Chrome designates (as I would hope it would) but when I wish to open a RSS feed with my default browser, the error message says "you'll need a new app to open this http"

My personal feeling is that the my inability to place a HTTP protocol on the list where ONLY the HTTPS protocol shows up is a MAJOR FLAW in my solving this problem and related problems

Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:27 PM

All replies