problem activating windows xp, key exceeded RRS feed

• Question

• hello. i bought the original cd of windows xp, service pack 2 in english language
    the first time i installed it, it was working perfectly.
    i had to format my laptop, so i had to use the cd again, for second time, to install the windows
    when it asked me to enter the product key, it said that i have exceeded the number of times i can enter it.
    but it was only the second time i was using it. because of the format.
    so, i skipped the key thing. everything was running smoothly. but a pop up window was calling me to validate the windows within 15 days. but because of that key-problem. i downloaded a crack thing, which make my windows never expire. after one month of using my windows, i got a message telling me that i have 4 days left to activate my product. when i press ok, another window pops up, telling me that... windows are already activated. but the next days the number of days allowing me to activate my product are...3, u have got 3 days left, 2 days left, etc... but when i press ok, i told you, says, already activated. what is the problem? what should i do? it is not my fault, as long i have original cds and everything and not working when using the cd for second time.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 10:04 PM

Answers

• Hellp Princep,

You mentioned downloading a crack program?  I would highly recommend not using the site nor the program.   Under NO circumstances should you try to download an ISO image for software and/or crack programs from a P2P file sharing site, or use a second-hand burned copy of an XP CDROM.  These have been shown to be full of root kits, malware, viruses and who knows what else---you'd be worse off than you are now. Why would you take the risk of using one of those?  Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and who knows what else.

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Hopefully this information wil help you.  Take care....

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:27 AM

All replies

•  

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Hellp Princep,

You mentioned downloading a crack program?  I would highly recommend not using the site nor the program.   Under NO circumstances should you try to download an ISO image for software and/or crack programs from a P2P file sharing site, or use a second-hand burned copy of an XP CDROM.  These have been shown to be full of root kits, malware, viruses and who knows what else---you'd be worse off than you are now. Why would you take the risk of using one of those?  Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and who knows what else.

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Hopefully this information wil help you.  Take care....

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:27 AM
  • i have the same problem with a OEM copy of XP Media Center will this work for me?

Friday, January 22, 2010 4:59 AM