Reinstalling XP Pro Product Key Invalid mid-installation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm midway through reinstalling XP Pro on my Sony laptop, a procedure I completed 9 months ago with no problems, however, when I get to Product Key Screen it won't accept the 25 digit product key from my COA on the base of the computer. It's a genuine product key and the computer is not connected to the net, so if the key had been leaked and was invalidated by MS I don't understand how my machine would be able to tell.

Anyway, all the other questions seem to relate to people who are at least able to install and then trying to activate XP once in Windows, whereas I can't even get that far.

I've tried entering the product key from my wife's computer to see if I can at least get any further with the install and enter my Genuine Key later but it won't accept that either...

Unfortunately the original computer disks were all lost when our company moved office so I can't use them, I just have a copy of XP Pro and the COA on my computer.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 1:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• The OEM Windows XP product key is only valid with a Windows XP OEM installation CD.  I would suggest contacting Sony Support and order the appropriate Sony OEM Windows XP recovery disc.

Monday, January 7, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Hello Scotty,

Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. Please contact Sony Technicial Support and request a recovery media disc.  Please keep in mind Recovery CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:

http://esupport.sony.com/?ref=

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Support

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:55 PM
  • Following on from ScottyJ's post, my problem is the same, but with a Compaq nx9005: I no longer have the recovery CD, and used a copy of an XP Pro SP2 disc (the original installation on the Compaq was not SP2).  The Product Key from the base of the nx9005 doesn't work.  The problem is that when I use any other CD (e.g. another recovery disk from another of the Compaq laptops from work) the computer won't boot up.  Can you give me an appropriate Product Key that will enable installation to complete?  The product code off the nx9005 is. 

andycorser@googlemail.com  

ScottyJ wrote:
    I'm midway through reinstalling XP Pro on my Sony laptop, a procedure I completed 9 months ago with no problems, however, when I get to Product Key Screen it won't accept the 25 digit product key from my COA on the base of the computer. It's a genuine product key and the computer is not connected to the net, so if the key had been leaked and was invalidated by MS I don't understand how my machine would be able to tell.

Anyway, all the other questions seem to relate to people who are at least able to install and then trying to activate XP once in Windows, whereas I can't even get that far.

I've tried entering the product key from my wife's computer to see if I can at least get any further with the install and enter my Genuine Key later but it won't accept that either...

Unfortunately the original computer disks were all lost when our company moved office so I can't use them, I just have a copy of XP Pro and the COA on my computer.
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:04 AM
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 9:02 PM