none
Looking for best practice on how to organize my back-end RRS feed

• Question

• Don't know where I should post a question like this.

I posted it in the patterns and practices forum, but it appears I'm banned from there now or something? I can't even access the thread I started, or that forum at all anymore.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• This question could be related to server platforms like Windows Server and/or SQL Server.
    Could you provide more details so we can try to suggest you a more appropriate forum?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:43 PM
  • Here is the post if you could just tell me where to post it or move it there:

I am currently working on a large project. This project has about 20 relevant tables that are all related. I have a back-end set up where Admins can add new items, edit them, view them etc....

I took this project over from someone else, so in the interest of getting things done in a timely fashion, I'm currently handling everything in 2 pages.

The basic layout of both pages is a sidebar including 17 different categories(Products, Brands, Users etc...), with the content of the page displaying the relevant info for the selected category.

I am using the first page to display the info. When I click on say Products, the products load in a table from new to old, paginated in the content portion with options to edit/delete for each, as well as an option to add a new item.

I'm handling the delete on this page, but the edit and add are on the second page.

The second page is the same layout, but the content portion will either be a blank form with the relevant fields, or those fields pre-populated for the item from the edit command on the previous page

Now, I am doing this for all different categories in the code-behind of each page. Even though everything works well, and is not even slow really, I don't like the lack of organization, even though the different categories are clearly separated and organized properly in the code-behind.

I'm wondering the best way to divide this up. 

Should I just make a page for each category and have each of those pages handle both displaying as well as editing/adding? Then I can share the common functions through a central base page?

Or should I make use of the ASP user controls, and create a control for each category to handle this stuff, again sharing a base control?

I'm just not sure which is the most efficient, or even the more standard way to approach this. I'd like to get some feedback before I decide how to break this down, and would appreciate any other suggestions as well.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:49 PM
  • This seems to be a design & development question.
    Talking about designing and modeling, you could try posting this question in the Acrhitecture General Forum at the following address

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/architecturegeneral/threads

or in the Modeling and Tools Forum at the following address

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/modelingandtools/threads

For development related questions, since you're talking about ASP I suggest you to post your questions in the ASP.NET Forums at the following address

http://forums.asp.net/

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Marked as answer by Dexterity44 Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:40 PM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for your help
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:41 PM