Microsoft Money 2005 Data File Missing RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently moved Money 2005 from an old computer using XP to a new computer using Windows 7. All appears to be working OK and when I come to close my file the backup reminder is actioned and a back up is created on an external drive. However, the data file itself cannot be found. When I open Money 2005 on subsequent occasions I have to restore my back up each time. Money tells me it will create a *.mny file from my back up but when I go to that location on C drive, there is no *.mny file.

I've made sure hidden files and known file endings are accessible.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 10:04 AM

All replies

•  

Be sure that your Money and backup files
    are moved to a spot that you will have full privileges to, such as
    Documents.  If they are within ProgramFiles, Windows 7 will
    create an impermanent copy of the file for the user to use, unless
    the user explicitly right-clicks at launch and chooses
    RunAsAdministrator that time.

I presume your Money version is not from the US. Then if you did not do so before, it is critical that you make an installation disk using files from your old installation. That will give you the ability to install Money 2005 with version 14.0.*.1105.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Hello Cal

Firstly my Money version is U.K. Thanks for the advice regarding where the money file should be located to ensure full privileges. It was in Programmes and I told Money to save the restored backup file to My Documents.

Problem is now solved and my file is fully accessible. Still learning to live with Windows 7.

Much obliged for the free advice.

Kind regards

Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:54 AM