How to resolve file conflict: "Cannot create file when that file already excists" RRS feed

• Question

• I copied the content of an old hard disk to my Aspire WHS and received for a few files the Resolve File conflict error: "Cannot create file when that file already excists". I cannot reset or change anything. Renaming or removing the few conflicted files and/or directory does not work either. the error remains. restarting WHS does not solve it either.
    What can i do?
    • Edited by Wouty Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:44 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:30 PM

Answers

• Hi, Olaf. thanks for your reaction.
    I copied the files from the original computer via the explorer-network into a shared folder on the WHS.
    The WHS network problem indicator service is having some kind of delay i think. I have removed the all ~ signs and after half a day the indicator turned "blue" again..and the message was solved and network was singed "healty" again. There was no problem in the first place to my opinion..although it was indicating as such. Maybe a "lag" in the network or more likely the snailed source harddisk which caused the filename problem as you indicate. We will never know..and the problem is solved for now.

Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• It has solved itself temprarely (right after adding a new user), but after a short while the message returned.
    An example of the file is shown here: KAFTDE~3.DOC.
    All files mentioned have a ~ within, but not all files with a ~ have been mentioned in the WHS list.
    It is possible that WHS cannot work with a tilde ~?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:09 PM
  • What you see here, are the 8:3 file names (oldstyle naming convention), which are usually attached to any file. Maybe these files have or had a long name as well, which has not been taken over properly. So if you copy now the long name file with both names, it hits the short name file (which is basically identical). The ~sign is normally part of such an abbreviated originally long file name.
    How did you copy the files? Did you use the UNC path as target (\\server\sharename) as you should or did you copy directly through the server remote desktop to a physical drive?
    Is there any security software installed on client or server, which may cause kind of delay and therefore make the system thinking that the file is not yet copied, while it already is?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:34 AM
  • Hi, Olaf. thanks for your reaction.
    I copied the files from the original computer via the explorer-network into a shared folder on the WHS.
    The WHS network problem indicator service is having some kind of delay i think. I have removed the all ~ signs and after half a day the indicator turned "blue" again..and the message was solved and network was singed "healty" again. There was no problem in the first place to my opinion..although it was indicating as such. Maybe a "lag" in the network or more likely the snailed source harddisk which caused the filename problem as you indicate. We will never know..and the problem is solved for now.

Saturday, September 5, 2009 8:55 PM
  • Please check the version number of Windows Home Server in the console under Settings/Ressources.
    If it is something else than 2030.x, you need to apply some updates more or less urgently, depending from your version.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:40 PM
  • I have 2030.2 for the console and 2030.0 for the rest. Seems quite up to date with me. The problem did not occur anymore in the last week. Seems to be solved. I think that if files become "undefined" it can result in the previously mentioned error...and a corresponding remark by the system. Thanks for the reply! My greetings from The Netherlands. Wouter
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:48 PM