Getting Windows Media / Desktop Experience on HPC RRS feed

• Question

• Apparently, Microsoft wiped out the Desktop Experience and Windows Media Services features from the HPC edition, without even documenting that (not anything that I could find).

Media Player 11 is not available for servers, Media Player 11 for Vista 64-bit will not install on Server 2008. It either reports "no WMP updates for your computer are available", "Not enough storage is available to process this command", or it fails the Genuine Advantage validation. Do you have any creative ideas, how to um, force Windows Media into Server 2008 HPC?

The software I was going to run on the compute nodes requires Windows Media support, and HPC would've provided a favorable licensing structure for the system I'm trying to set up. Otherwise I'll have to throw HPC out of the window and order a bunch of XP/Vista seats.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 1:36 AM

Answers

• The Desktop Experience and media player functionality is not available in the HPC Edition of the operating system. There is no difference between the evaluation version and the fully licensed version in this regard.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:21 PM

All replies

• I too noticed the lack of the desktop experience for Windows HPC Server 2008 _demo_ version.

Have you tried this on an activated, non-demo HPC Server install? If not, I can see what I can find out at an activated site.

Frankie
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:15 PM
  • The Desktop Experience and media player functionality is not available in the HPC Edition of the operating system. There is no difference between the evaluation version and the fully licensed version in this regard.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:21 PM