Win XP crashes when I use Synctoy RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Synctoy on a Win 7 64 bit laptop and a Win XP Home 32 bit laptop, when I run (sync) Synctoy from the Win 7 machine the Win Xp machine crashes and reboots, with a warning that my system has recovered from a serious error.

I deleted all of the sync pairs, created a new pair and tried again, the computer crashed, so I tried copying only new files to the Win XP machine, with no overwrites or deletions, crashed again, tried again... gave up and manually copied the folder from the Win 7 machine to the Win XP machine, worked perfectly.  There are no system files, no hidden files, no read only, folders are shared with read write permission...

So... Synctoy is crashing a networked computer, not the one that I am running the program on, a very naughty trick I might reserve for when my wife is bothering me, I'll just run it while she's on the other computer, crashing it, then look bewildered and ask "what the heck did you do to it?".

Unless somebody has a better idea?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:50 PM

All replies

• I have been using Synctoy for years without issue.  I am pretty sure that the patches that were applied this week (April 13th for me) nuked it.  I used it the day before and it worked fine.  It broke on the same day on both of my computers.  One of the patches nuked Powerpoint on me, but I was able to figure that out and uninstall the patch that killed it.  Not sure which patch killed Synctoy though.  I guess I have to go back to manually applying patching again.  Anyone else who has any info, the help would be most welcome. 

Windows XP machine. 

Friday, April 15, 2011 6:20 PM
  • I have been using Synctoy for years without issue.  I am pretty sure that the patches that were applied this week (April 13th for me) nuked it.  I used it the day before and it worked fine.  It broke on the same day on both of my computers.  One of the patches nuked Powerpoint on me, but I was able to figure that out and uninstall the patch that killed it.  Not sure which patch killed Synctoy though.  I guess I have to go back to manually applying patching again.  Anyone else who has any info, the help would be most welcome. 

Windows XP machine. 

With the nuked system you are discussing here does it have any of the symptoms I described? Should I uninstall updates from Micrisoft to fix the problem?
    David W Hedrick
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:57 AM
  • My suspicion is that any machine that has the latest updates, Windows XP and uses Sync Toy in any way will blow up.  Honestly though, I am as in the dark as to why or how to fix this as you are. 
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:01 AM
  • After reading a bunch of threads, I uninstalled the following

SyncToy

Microsoft Sync Framework x.x

There were four of these

Then I reinstalled SyncToy. 

Seemed to do the trick.  Hopefully this works for you as well.  I would do this to both computers you are using for this. 

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, but uninstalling all of these programs on both computers, reinstalling synctoy on both computers still leads to the winxp machine rebooting the very second I press "run" from the preview window.  It's like the "run" button is actually an off switch for my win xp computer.
    David W Hedrick
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Om my netbook with windows 7 it works great, but with my home computer, running windowx, xp it craches. The diference is that mine wont restart the computer. Just give-me a error message and ask to send the error report to mycrosoft.

I already followed a lot of tips found over the forum.

I'll try to figure it out.

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:41 PM