none
Wake on Lan Add-in for WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have developed a simple Wake on Lan add-in for WHS.

Some of the features include:

1. Start WHS Client PCs automatically
    2. Shut Down  (set the admin pass of both server and client to be the same. Activate admin pass on clients)
    3. Suspend (read here)
    4. Hibernate (read here)
    5. Automatic MAC discovery from registry
    6. Remote Desktop
    7. Remote Control XP Home and Vista Home Premium PCs (read here)
    8. Refresh Status Button
    9. MSI Install file
    10. Dynamic Commands (see WHS settings to add dynamic commands) 

In order to get and download the WOL Add-in for WHS please click here.

To deploy the Add-in, the MSI file in the zip must be copied to the \\ServerName\Software\Add-Ins share on the Windows Home Server computer. Once the file is in the share go to

->Setting-> Add-ins ->Available section

on the right. Select "Windows Home Server WOL Tab" and click Install.

To install the Add-in, the end-user must be an administrator on the Windows Home Server computer. After each installation or uninstallation of an Add-in, the Windows Home Server console must be restarted (it will close automatically).

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hey this is great Smile 

one thing, could you post your interop dll?  (it was generated by Visual Studio) - something like Interop.xxxx.dll

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:33 AM
  • Downloaded!
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:53 AM
  • Cool!
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 1:10 AM
  • Cool!
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 3:18 AM
  • Excellent little piece of software. Was wondering when somethin like this would come along. I utilize it to wake up my kids pcs during the day so I an run a backup while they aren't around.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 3:18 AM
  • Please re-download the ZIP file since I have included the Interop.WHSInfoIF.dll which might have caused some problems.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Downloaded!

Very nice.  I'll test more later, I'm tired.  I have one question and maybe I missed it.  Can you set (or add) an option for backups to WOL if necessary to complete backup?  It would probably require modifying the backup code in WHS so maybe not an option.  But it would be nice if this could be automated.

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 9:50 AM
  • Im sure its me. I placed the 3 dll files in the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder and closed and restarted the desktop icon, but I cant see where this Add-In is. How do I get to it?
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 10:34 AM
  • Given that you deployed it in the right location once you start the WHS client you should see an extra alarm at the top of the (where Computers and backups are). Make sure that you deploy the dlls in the right location.

If you do not see a pop up when you start with an exception message then its either:

1) you did not notice the new icon

2) you did not deploy in the right directory

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 11:18 AM
  • Add-ins don't get installed on the client PCs, they get installed on WHS. The "right way" to do this is:
    • Build a .msi file (for example using WiX)
    • Put it in \\server\software\add-ins.
    • Start the console
    • Open up Settings
    • Click Add-Ins
    • Click on the Available tab
    • Find the add-in in the list and click Install
    The console will close and you'll see an error message about a lost connection. That's normal. The next time you run the console, your add-in will be available.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:15 PM
  • Ken this is something that I have developed and did not have the time to compile the msi file.

I will later create an MSI. For the time being the directions for deploying this Add-in are as per my first post!!!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:22 PM
  • Thank you....
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

how did you get the ListView to look like on the "Computers & Backup" Tab ?

In my own Add-in I tried to add these PC-Icons, but it didn't work Sad.

Greets Alex

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 2:47 PM
  • I will soon write an Article relevant to this solution in www.codeproject.com.

I will publish the source code so that you can see all the little details that go on in the background.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 3:34 PM
  • As posted earlier. I still can't get this to work to my Vista machine. I cant find it nowhere in the console.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Good work. I got it working and its working nicely.

I had to copy the 3 files to my WHS under the folder you specified. But I didn't see the Wake On Lan until after a rebooted the WHS. Then next time I started the console it showed up.

I see all my computers in there and first have to turn them all on to get the MAC addresses. Not a problem at all.

However I do see one entry in there with no computer name. Not sure what this entry is though.

It has no computer name or description, no ip address, unknown MAC and says its offline. Its a ghost entry.

Also I think you spelt Unknown wrong. Smile It says "Uknown MAC".

Another thing I noticed is that the status takes a long time to refresh.  Could this be improved to give a better idea of the status of the machine.

Finally, could a shutdown option be added later on? Smile

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 6:19 PM
  • OK I was having a duh moment. I was placing the 3 files on the client PC's and not on the server. Now works brillient....the PC's that is NOT my brain!!!
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Downloaded it, will try it out later...
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:51 PM
  • What's the trick to get it to work?  I downloaded the package, copied the DLL's to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server, and I don't see any new "tab" for Wake On LAN.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  Doug Knox wrote:
    What's the trick to get it to work? I downloaded the package, copied the DLL's to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server, and I don't see any new "tab" for Wake On LAN.

Make sure you copied it to that folder on the WHS.. not the workstations you use.

To get it to show up I had to reboot my WHS.  After that i saw a new option.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 8:15 PM
  • Yes, they're copied to that folder on the server.  In the middle of a manual backup of one of my kids' laptops, so can't reboot right now.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 8:19 PM
  • From what I understand the first common mistake is trying to deploy it in the client pc.

The solution has to be deployed on the SERVER running "Windows Home Server" NOT THE CLIENT.

The "Windows Home Server Console" should be closed when copying the Dlls.

Once the files are copied then restart the "Windows Home Server Console" and you should be able to see the new icon!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Downloaded.   Very nice add-on, BTW.

Mike [332242] 

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Awesome!
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Downloaded.

Wonderful add-on. Thanks for sharing.

Please publish your source code ASAP so we can learn, oh Mighty Wise One...

Thanks Again,

Jay

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 11:04 PM
  • Thanks for your great feedback. I have fixed "Unknown" spelling mistake. Will be available in next build.

I believe that the next version will include:

1) Shutdown functionality

2) Wake up 10 min before back up starts and 10 min after backup finishes (given that there is a notification) which is actually the most requested feature!!!

Once again thanks for your feedback!!!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 11:27 PM
  • Is the wakeup on LAN functionality something that must be enabled on certain network cards and/or PC Bios? Our main desktop PC won't wakeup via the WHS console add-in. I have yet to try it on our laptops.

EDIT: I see on the wired ethernet card on my desktop PC that it has the wake up option, but I'm running this PC with a wireless card as its upstairs from my WHS, and I don't see a wakeup/power management tab on the wireless card's property sheet.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Typically this is enabled in the BIOS, and its been my experience that its off by default. And not all PC's support it.  I don't know if the NIC has to have specific hardware to support the feature or not, but the PC's BIOS must definitely support it.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:28 AM
  • And just my luck it looks like my Bios on my desktop machine doesn't support it... stupid fatwallet deal compaq presario from a few years ago... yet it does support a LAN Boot ROM     grrrr.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Normally, it should be enough to restart console on the server (or "reset" it from the client via the Options) - no need to reboot the whole server.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:00 AM
  • Downloaded your work and want to report that it works as advertised.  Thank you for investing the effort to do this and more importantly...to share the fruits of your labor with the community.  I'm looking forward to your upcoming source code release and tutorial.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:41 AM
  • I downloaded it!  Vey cool thanks.  Also neat to see that you used WHS to distribute.

-Pablo

Thursday, May 3, 2007 4:20 AM
  •  DarienA wrote:
    And just my luck it looks like my Bios on my desktop machine doesn't support it... stupid fatwallet deal compaq presario from a few years ago... yet it does support a LAN Boot ROM     grrrr.

Ditto on the Compaq my wife uses. Will have to check out the other Compaq and the Gateway and the FIC Spectra and various notebooks.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 4:28 AM
  • I ran the Console locally and remotely with no change.  It did take a reboot of the Server to get the tab to show up.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 4:29 AM
  • any trick to log in? -> The logon name or password is incorrect. Please retype the logon name and password.

I payed attention to upper/lower type

Thursday, May 3, 2007 4:30 AM
  • I downloaded it. Looks promising but have used it yet.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:57 AM
  • Downloaded and installed no problem. Have not tested it yet but looks like some good work.

thanks.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 7:45 AM
  • Thanks, downloaded it and can't wait until I get home to test it out.

KingWolf

Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:05 PM
  • Strange... 2 of the machines at home(2 different brands) neither of them has a power management tab for the wireless card(one of the machines wireless card is built in). On both machines the Wired Ethernet port does support wake on lan. On one machine the BIOS does support it even though the built in wireless card doesn't seem to.

I'm wondering now if any wireless cards support wake on lan...

EDIT: Just did some quick reading on the subject, looks like most wireless cards don't support Wake On Lan... boooooo.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:18 PM
  • Great idea, downloading
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:33 PM
  •  

Downloaded it.  Thanks.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:42 PM
  • Thanks, I downloaded and works very well.

Billy The Kidd

Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Cool!  DOwnloade and in use.

//Kurt

Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:30 PM
  • Brilliant!
    Thanx Smile
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:54 PM
  • I also attempted to login for download and got nothing.  I attempted login with case-sensitivity.  Anyone else having an issue at the moment?
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:03 PM
  • Hi Evangelos,

AMAZING! This is exactly what I needed. I was looking for a way to remotely wake my media center PC so that I could use the remote desktop feature when I'm away from home (to set up recordings, etc.). Your add-in works wonderfully (on my Dell XPS 700)!

Thank you for developing this and providing it to us all.

-- MIKE

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:15 PM
  • Excellent!  Downloaded and staged for installation tonight!

Many thanks.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:29 PM
  • I cannot get to angelo.livenode.com.  Is there another download location?
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:47 PM
  • There should be a warning about the certificate of https://angelo.livenode.com

Try to accept this warning.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:50 PM
  • The httpS:// never dawned on me.  I tried just simple http:// and it would just go off into neverland.

Thanks

Mike

Thursday, May 3, 2007 5:53 PM
  • accepted and imported this certificate -> no chance...The logon name or password is incorrect. Please retype the logon name and password

Thursday, May 3, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Also lookout for the "!" Mark in the password.

Rufus Roper

Thursday, May 3, 2007 8:33 PM
  • Nice work!

Now I will test it on my sleeping computers.

Rufus Roper

Thursday, May 3, 2007 8:34 PM
  • Rufus, thank you. It is advantageous that you are able to read, I don't...Wink the problem was the "!"
    Friday, May 4, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Can't log on, getting password error.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 4:33 AM
  • The link is not working. I tried it in both Firefox and IE and both return site not found errors.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 11:51 AM
  • Server was down the last 5 hours and will be own for the next 5...

I will try to bring it up ASAP since the electricity authority had a problem in my area...

Friday, May 4, 2007 12:23 PM

• This looks like a very nice addition, can't wait for the download to be accessible again...

I have one question though regarding the following:

Evangelos Hadjichristodoulou wrote:

2) Wake up 10 min before back up starts and 10 min after backup finishes (given that there is a notification) which is actually the most requested feature!!!

I might be mistaken, but isn't WHS supposed to wake up the clients itself  before a backup and put them back to sleep afterwards ? I have never tried this out myself though...

Dirk

Friday, May 4, 2007 1:50 PM
  •  dflachbart wrote:

This looks like a very nice addition, can't wait for the download to be accessible again...

I have one question though regarding the following:

2) Wake up 10 min before back up starts and 10 min after backup finishes (given that there is a notification) which is actually the most requested feature!!!

I might be mistaken, but isn't WHS supposed to wake up the clients itself before a backup and put them back to sleep afterwards ? I have never tried this out myself though...

Dirk

Yeah I believe it does because I put my laptop on standby most evenings and its been getting backed up regularly.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 2:05 PM
  • When you shut down the PC this is not possible.

This would be useful when waking pcs up when they are shut down.

Friday, May 4, 2007 3:05 PM
  •  

Just got it.

Will in stall later today.

Thanks.

I like your use of the WHS Site to provide the download. And  I commented to a friend that it would be nice to have the option to show the Shared Folders only and not the Computers for public downloads like this one.

is this something we can do now???

Friday, May 4, 2007 3:33 PM
  • I have downloaded it and installed it. It looks very nice, but it does not work for me. I have enabled Wake On Lan on my desktop PC's motherboard and on the server just in case, but it will not wake up my PC from either standby mode or hibernate mode. My PC is usually left in hibernate mode and the WHS wakes it up perfectly overnight for its backup. My client desktop PC is using a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard, which is an Intel 875 chipset with an Intel Pro 1000 network card built in and I have enabled WOL and rebooted it.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 4:32 PM
  • I believe that WOL is for PCs that are shut down NOT hibernating or sleeping.
    Friday, May 4, 2007 4:43 PM
  •  It works.

This will be great for when Iam away so I can shut down my PC and have the option to wake it remotely.

Way cool!!!

Thanks again .

Printers in Console????

Friday, May 4, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Not according to my motherboard manual:

ModemRingOn/WakeOnLAN

An incoming call via modem can awake the system from any suspend state or an input signal

comes from the other client server on the LAN can awake the system from any suspend state.

Disabled Disable Modem Ring on/wake on Lan function.

Enabled Enable Modem Ring on/wake on Lan. (Default Value)

I will try again with my client switched off this time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just tried again and contary to what my manual states, your WOL function does now work, providing my PC is turned off. So I will have to revise my shutdown procedures and only leave my PC in hibernate mode overnight for the WHS to do its backup routine.

Thanks for your utility now that I have it working, most useful. It would be nice if the PC could be shut down remotely, once access is finished.

Friday, May 4, 2007 6:41 PM
  • I downloaded it.  Will try it later. 

I have to learn how to set up the internet connection part of WHS that you have shown!

Friday, May 4, 2007 7:15 PM
  • I have just added Shut Down functionality.

When you request a shut down a friendly message

is shown to signed on users and the pc shuts down after 1 min.

Make sure that the user running the Home Server Console

has enough permissions to shut down the "victim" pc.

Another problem I found is windows firewall and

windows one care (or any other security program running a firewall).

Make sure that this programs allow shutdown command by testing the command.

ALL APPLICATION RUNNING WILL BE FORCED TO CLOSE!!!

The implementation is using  shutdown -s -f -m IPADDRESS -t 60 .

Please make sure that the command shutdown -s -f -m IPADDRESS -t 60  (where IP address is the IP of the machine you want to shut down is) works before fileing bugs about shut down.

I have developed a simple Wake on Lan add-in for WHS (Just added Shut Down functionality).

Get the add-in at angelo.livenode.com

Go to "Shared Folders" and under Public find file "HomeServerConsoleTab.WOLTab.zip".

To deploy copy the 3 dlls under you WHS directory (usually "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server").

The dlls should be deployed on the WH SERVER and NOT the CLIENTS.

Before copying the files close WHS  Console on the server.

Once you copy the files Open the WHS Console and a new icon should appear on the toolbar.

Please reply to this thread with your comments/bugs/ or just say "I downloaded it"...

Friday, May 4, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Downloaded it!

To easy to do. Looks nice.

Will not shut down my laptop.  Authorization Error: Firewall Block. Will look to see if there is a setting in Windows Fire wall or turn it off.....

Will try the WOL option this weekend. Option is in bios for all my pc's, but will they really work...LOL.

Thanks for the Add-In!

Now I need to find a way to wake the WHS if it shuts down and I'm not home... Any ideas...WOL is new to me..
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Why do I constantly keep getting the following message when trying to log onto this server:

"The logon name or password is incorrect. Please retype the logon name and password"

I am typing "Guest1" and "Guest1"

I have also turned off all firewalling and internet security plus made this site a trusted site... what I am missing?

Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:03 AM
  • The passowrd you are using is wrong. Look again!!!
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:05 AM
  • WOW Im burnt!  Thanks for the heads up haha
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Just download it
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Great! I've downloaded too. Look's like it's working. I'll test it in a few day.
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 12:34 PM
  • I downloaded it and it looks very nice.

No problem  with getting the macs. Shutting down replies with an authorization error.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 3:34 PM
  • I too get an Authorization Error: Firewall Block if running it my wife's laptop to shut down my PC, but it does work if I do a manual shutdown with the command given on the my PC. I have disabled Zone Alarm on my PC, but I get the same message so I assume it must be the firewall on the laptop. I have tried turning of the McAfee Control Centre on my wife's *** Dell laptop but cannot find anyway to turn it off, but it is due for scrapping soon as it is about to expire, so I will reinstall with AVG and Zone Alarm and try again.
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Thanks again. This add-in just gets better and better...!!!

For any that is getting a authorization error for shutdown, as Evangelos Hadjichristodoulou  has mentioned, make sure you have the permission to shutdown the other PC. The easiest way is to shared a folder out on the taget PC you want to shutdown, then browse to it. When it asked you for a username and password, enter it, and check off remember my password. Afterwards you can unshared it again.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 4:33 PM
  •  Evangelos Hadjichristodoulou wrote:

I have just added Shut Down functionality.

When you request a shut down a friendly message

is shown to signed on users and the pc shuts down after 1 min.

Make sure that the user running the Home Server Console

has enough permissions to shut down the "victim" pc.

Another problem I found is windows firewall and

windows one care (or any other security program running a firewall).

Make sure that this programs allow shutdown command by testing the command.

ALL APPLICATION RUNNING WILL BE FORCED TO CLOSE!!!

The implementation is using  shutdown -s -f -m IPADDRESS -t 60 .

Please make sure that the command shutdown -s -f -m IPADDRESS -t 60  (where IP address is the IP of the machine you want to shut down is) works before fileing bugs about shut down.

I have developed a simple Wake on Lan add-in for WHS (Just added Shut Down functionality).

Go to "Shared Folders" and under Public find file "HomeServerConsoleTab.WOLTab.zip".

To deploy copy the 3 dlls under you WHS directory (usually "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server").

Once you copy the files Open the WHS Console and a new icon should appear on the toolbar.

Please reply to this thread with your comments/bugs/ or just say "I downloaded it"...

I have tried again and the remote shutdown does not work for me through the console as intended.

I have 2 PC's besides the WHS, one a desktop hard wired running XP Pro and a laptop using wireless running XP Home. Using the laptop I can wake up the desktop but cannot shut it down from the console. It keeps reporting a possible firewall problem but that is incorrect as I have turned off ALL firewalls completely. I can shut down both PC's individually by typing in the shutdown command on both, proving the coding is correct. The only way I can shut down the desktop remotely is to access the desktop remotely via the server and type in the shutdown command directly, but the problem will be trying to remember the command at a future date when it is required. I suppose I could always write a simple textfile to copy and paste, but not as elegant as through the console. I have tried the sharing of folders as '1NE' has suggested to no avail  as both PC's already have FULL access to each other including all folders and all permissions already in place. I know that I cannot reverse the procedure as the laptop running XP Home does not support Remote Desktop, but I tried it anyway.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 8:45 PM
  • I tried it out, but it showed all the MAC addresses as "Unknown MAC". So I right-clicked one machine that is a desktop and only has one NIC and told it to get MAC (the machine is in sleep) and it could not get the MAC according to it - but the machine woke up for a moment. Now, the MAC is in the registry - so it should never be unknown. You read them from here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients

Under there is the GUID of each client machine, and the MAC is there as well. They are in the form of a REG_SZ and are stored like this: 00:07:E9:07:49:81. If the machine has multiple NIC's (like my notebook which is often docked and sometimes on wireless, it will list both with a comma to seperate it: 00:19Big Smile2:7C:18:E5,00:19:B9:55:AE:B4. One of my notebooks even shows three MAC's, but I can't figure out why. It has built in wireless and build in wired and has been on both but has never had a third adapter. Anyway, you should read these instead of showing "unknown". Since you don't know if the machine is on wired or wireless when it has two you should send the magic packet at both MAC's.

BTW, this is cool. Back before the SDK was available to me I had gone ahead and written a winform app with a class for doing magic packet with the intent to migrate it to WHS once I got the SDK. I may still do that for the experience. This is definitely a "missing feature" as Windows Vista by default goes to sleep. Thanks for publishing this.

Any thought to publishing source?

Thanks!

Jerry

Saturday, May 5, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Thank you. Waking up is fine but shutting down needs some thinking about. Isn't UAC going to be a problem on a Vista machine?
    Saturday, May 5, 2007 9:46 PM
  • Downloaded it, not yet installed. I think this will turn out to be a very useful tool. Something like this was already on my and probably many other peoples wishlist. It's great you are willing to share this app.

One remark though:

NOFI, even though I trust there are no intended security issues there is no way to tell if this app is secure without experts having reviewed the source code. I think it should be made available (perhaps not public but only to some selected experts) asap.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 12:05 AM
  • The Guest1 for the login and password do not work for me. I get an invalid for one or the other. Is this site no longer functional or has the login information been changed since this post?

Jan Smile

Sunday, May 6, 2007 1:01 AM
  • Username: Guest1

Password: Guest1!

Sunday, May 6, 2007 1:20 AM
  • I installed the original version without any problems and was very pleased. Now the stupid question. 'How do I install the new version?'
    I have downloaded the files. Remote logged on to the server (not through connect). and then tried to copy the files over the existing ones. But they are in use? Do I have to shutdown console on every computer accessing WHS? or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for any help.

Simon
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 11:26 AM
  • I rebooted the server, rebooted the client that I was singed into. singed onto the server again and installed the update without any problems.

Rufus Roper

Sunday, May 6, 2007 1:26 PM
  • I tried your suggestion, however, it did not work for me. I even took the shutdown.exe from windows/system32 folder and put it in the exception list so that the firewall will recognize it. In doing all of this, I found that computers that is attached to the router will wake remotely. The wireless connection will not even do that. I will experement some more; nevertheless, I don't see at this point where it will  function with the wireless connection.

Rufus Roper 

Sunday, May 6, 2007 1:36 PM
  • I too encountered this issue and solved it by NOT installing the new files via remote....in other words, I hooked monitor, keyboard, and mouse up to the server and installed them and it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps you as well.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 3:51 PM
  • I had no problems with both version installing remotely.
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:34 PM
  • I got the new version installed ok (I thought), but I don't see the shutdown option.  Thoughts?
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Hi Evangelos,

Could you tell me exactly how the WOL feature of your add-in is working? i.e. is it sending a Magic Packet or is it sending a Wake Up Frame to do the WOL? The reason I ask is that my Network adapter has the ability to use eiter (or both) of those methods to do WOL, but when I use the Wake Up Frame setting, my client PC always wakes back up as soon as it gooes to sleep. Therefore, I'm forced to use the Magic Packet only WOL setting and I just wanted to know if that will still work with your WOL add-in.

Thanks!

Sunday, May 6, 2007 6:11 PM
  •  Rufus Roper wrote:

I tried your suggestion, however, it did not work for me. I even took the shutdown.exe from windows/system32 folder and put it in the exception list so that the firewall will recognize it. In doing all of this, I found that computers that is attached to the router will wake remotely. The wireless connection will not even do that. I will experement some more; nevertheless, I don't see at this point where it will  function with the wireless connection.

Rufus Roper 

To avoid the shutsown authorization issue:

Logon to your system (not the WHS) as Administrator, and then change the Administrator password to the one you use for your WHS. If you have Firewall problems after that you will have to check your logs to identify and solve the problem.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 8:24 PM
  • I am sending the mac address 16 times in a packet.

I believe this is the magic packet.

TheOfficeMaven wrote:

Hi Evangelos,

Could you tell me exactly how the WOL feature of your add-in is working? i.e. is it sending a Magic Packet or is it sending a Wake Up Frame to do the WOL? The reason I ask is that my Network adapter has the ability to use eiter (or both) of those methods to do WOL, but when I use the Wake Up Frame setting, my client PC always wakes back up as soon as it gooes to sleep. Therefore, I'm forced to use the Magic Packet only WOL setting and I just wanted to know if that will still work with your WOL add-in.

Thanks!

Sunday, May 6, 2007 11:24 PM
  • Thanks a million for your comments!!!

New version includes automatic mac discovery using the registry.

Please download and test!!!

As far as the source I will be posting an article at "Code Project" ASAP.

Smile

Jerry Ham wrote:

I tried it out, but it showed all the MAC addresses as "Unknown MAC". So I right-clicked one machine that is a desktop and only has one NIC and told it to get MAC (the machine is in sleep) and it could not get the MAC according to it - but the machine woke up for a moment. Now, the MAC is in the registry - so it should never be unknown. You read them from here:

Under there is the GUID...

Thanks!

Jerry

Sunday, May 6, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Just to confirm...

If it is 16 times at the target computer, then it is Magic Packet.

Monday, May 7, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Great! That's exactly what I need then.

Thanks for the response and for the cool add-in.

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:20 AM
  • When I try to shutdown a system and get an error "Authorization" is misspelled.  Your add-in shows "Authorisation" and it should be "Authorization"

Great add-in!

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:16 AM
  • Don't assume American spelling applies in all English speaking countries in the world. Authorisation is how I'd spell it here in NZ.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 2:52 AM
  • It's the same as Organization and Organisation.

As for your error, Evangelos Hadjichristodoulou has mentioned.... make sure you have the permission to shut down the target PC...

Monday, May 7, 2007 3:33 AM
  •  

Very good.

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:07 AM
  • Absolutely valid point.  I was not aware of that.  I just thought it was a typo.

To the other response, I wasn't asking about the error.  I've taken care of that.

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:22 AM
  • I downloaded it

Excellent little piece of software !

Thank's dwarf58

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:28 AM
  •  mfmjos wrote:

To the other response, I wasn't asking about the error.  I've taken care of that.

Sorry... I always do that.. read too fast. my bad...!!

Monday, May 7, 2007 5:28 AM
  • I downloaded it...
    Monday, May 7, 2007 1:27 PM
  • I just downloaded the new version and this little plugin rocks!  Great job!
    Monday, May 7, 2007 1:59 PM
  • So what do I need to do to enable remote shutdown of an XP box?   When I try it from the command line I get the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>shutdown -s -f -m 192.168.1.3 -t 60
      192.168.1.3: Access is denied.(5)

I launch remote shutdown as an Administrator from WHS server.  Administrator password is the same on remote XP machine.  Interesting thing is that I can remotely shutdown WHS box from XP machine, but not the other way around.

I know it's not exactly WHS/WoL plug-in issue, but if anyone has any quick advise, I am all ears Smile

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:23 AM

I have developed a simple Wake on Lan add-in for WHS.

New Functionality:

1. Shut Down 2007-05-04
    2. Automatic MAC from registry 2007-05-07
    3. Remote Desktop 2007-05-07

I am still having problems with your addin. I can wake up my desktop PC OK, but if I then try your remote desktop routine, it does not work and I get an error message. So I logoff the server console and go back to WHS web site where I can then access my desktop PC remotely as it is now active. I then return back to the WHS web site and then logon back to the server console and select shutdown and it does not work.

If I repeat the whole process as above but do not use your remote desktop routine, it shuts down perfectly the first time. If I then try repeating this process again I get the shutdown message on the desktop and then Windows say it is shutting down, as previously, but it does not fully shutdown, it just hangs there. As far as the console is concerned it is shut down but it is not. The only option then is to turn the PC off manually on the switch, which is something you obviously can't do remotely. So why does it work the first time but not on the second, is there a buffer or something that needs clearing out.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Downloaded, I'll get back when I have tried it.

Cheers,

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:01 PM
  • This is great.  It works like a charm, and I was even able to remote from an XP home laptop to my home pc which is windows XP Pro by using the remote option that you added.  But I still wasn't able to go the other way (i.e. XP pro to XP home, I know there are threads on this)

I wasn't able to shut down computers due to windows firewall issues.  Great product.  Nice work!

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Yup,

this is very good! I like it. Now all we need is the ability to wake WHS from the web and we have some real possibilities.

Cheers,

Simon

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Downloaded and added this - installed without a hitch, but I've not tested it that thoroughly yet.  The remote access option works well, but I've not tested the WOL function.

One thing - when I remove a PC from the console, there's a redundant entry left in the WOL list.  How possible is it to link these two options together, or perhaps add a button to remove them?

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Let me see if I understood correctly.

You had a pc in the computers and backup (CNB) section which you right clicked and selected "Remove Computer".

What you want is to be able to not display that computer right?

Would it be ok to simulate exactly what is available on the CNB section?

Adding other computers in the list is another option.

Looking for everybodies feedback on this...

Lee Dodgson wrote:

Downloaded and added this - installed without a hitch, but I've not tested it that thoroughly yet.  The remote access option works well, but I've not tested the WOL function.

One thing - when I remove a PC from the console, there's a redundant entry left in the WOL list.  How possible is it to link these two options together, or perhaps add a button to remove them?

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:13 PM
  • I still see that the status of the computers (online/offline) is not updated properly.  When I turn on a computer or turn off a computer the Backup tab see's their status properly but the WOL tab does not seem to update properly so its hard to tell the status.

Can this be tied into the backup status to get a real time view of it?

Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:08 AM
  •  wecpc wrote:

Not according to my motherboard manual:

ModemRingOn/WakeOnLAN

An incoming call via modem can awake the system from any suspend state or an input signal

comes from the other client server on the LAN can awake the system from any suspend state.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just tried again and contary to what my manual states, your WOL function does now work, providing my PC is turned off. So I will have to revise my shutdown procedures and only leave my PC in hibernate mode overnight for the WHS to do its backup routine.

Thanks for your utility now that I have it working, most useful. It would be nice if the PC could be shut down remotely, once access is finished.

You may have to enable this in 2 different areas First the bios and second in the device manager, find you LAN card and check it's Properties "Advanced" tab look for Wake on PME, Wake On and Wake on LAN. They should either be set to enabled or OS Controlled.

Rex Geissinger

Thursday, May 10, 2007 4:26 PM
  • I just upgraded from the earlier version of WOL.

One problem I found was an existing client showed up as 'Offline' in the WOL view,  irrespective of how many times I reconnected the remote console session.

The new functions (Shutdown, Remote Destop etc) showed up correctly, so I eventually decide to reboot WHS. This fixes the problem, if you can call it that, more a niggle and might suggest WOL hasn't properly refreshed the connected client status?

Looking forward to the next set of enhancements :-)

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:15 PM
  •  Rex Geissinger wrote:
     wecpc wrote:

ModemRingOn/WakeOnLAN

You may have to enable this in 2 different areas First the bios and second in the device manager, find you LAN card and check it's Properties "Advanced" tab look for Wake on PME, Wake On and Wake on LAN. They should either be set to enabled or OS Controlled.

Rex Geissinger

I have checked the settings as you described on my Intel Pro/1000 Lan and the only ones are:

Wait for Link - set to auto detect

Wake On Link Setting - set to disabled (other option is Forced)

Wake On Settings - set to OS Controlled.

So should I set the 2nd option to Forced.

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:28 PM
  • This works great.

It would be nice to set this up as automated. WHS does a nice job of waking 2 of my 3 pc's. My 3rd responds wonderfully to this program. I woud like to wake the PC in the middle of the night automatically for it's nightly backup.

Otherwise, best add-in I have found yet Smile

Thanks,

Steve

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:01 PM
  •  wecpc wrote:
     Rex Geissinger wrote:
     wecpc wrote:

ModemRingOn/WakeOnLAN

Rex Geissinger

I have checked the settings as you described on my Intel Pro/1000 Lan and the only ones are:

That sounds right. some card drivers may use slightly different wording and also most PCI lan cards require a jumper from the card to a header on the motherboard. this would be for boards that do not have a built in NIC.

Rex

Friday, May 11, 2007 5:52 PM
  • wanted to download, but http://angelo.livenode.com and https://angelo.livenode.com end in nothingness.....

(can ping to angelo.livenode.com)

managed to find an older package without shutdown.

LOOKS GOOD!!

on another note:

i have same passwords for administrator on WHS and a other pc, the shutdown procedure from the WHS commandline works like a charm.

cant wait to get latest package

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:34 PM
  •  Rex Geissinger wrote:
     wecpc wrote:
     Rex Geissinger wrote:
     wecpc wrote:

ModemRingOn/WakeOnLAN

Rex Geissinger

That sounds right. some card drivers may use slightly different wording and also most PCI lan cards require a jumper from the card to a header on the motherboard. this would be for boards that do not have a built in NIC.

Rex

I have already tried it and it does not work. Also my LAN is built-in

Friday, May 11, 2007 6:45 PM
  • I can't help you with the xbox, but can on the shut down of WHS using this new WOL tweak.  Mine works fine.  I can shut down the main pc and my laptop from the console inside WHS or one of the other machines. Nice tweak by the way. Love it..

Funny thing that is similar to you... Once day, all my IP's changed on all three boxes.  So now when I logged into Console... the IP that is listed as my Laptop was really the new IP for WHS. For kicks I clicked "shutdown" and it turned off WHS. The mac did not matter. Simply the IP.

At this point I decided to set up each machine with a dedicated IP and set my router to have only 3 live IP's  Now they wont change on me and affect remote web access at the most inopportune time.

Just thought that maybe your IP's got juggled around like mine and that's why WHS was able to shut down with this WOL tweak  Technically, you would not want that.... Because you would not be able to restart it. You'd want to use remote Console for that one... ;-)
    Friday, May 11, 2007 11:10 PM
  • Evangelos,

I've tried a couple of times to get this from your WHS, but I get the "Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error." message when I click on the share folders tab.  Interestingly enough, the Computers Tab works just fine.  I've made attempts today from 3 different boxes all with the same results.

BTW, this looks like it has great promise.  Thanks for your efforts!

Saturday, May 12, 2007 10:18 PM
  • Just downloaded it and am looking forward to trying it out. Thanks!
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Great software. Downloaded last night.

Can a "restart" option be added very easily?

Many thanks for sharing this.

Ice

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:50 PM
  •  Knockz wrote:

I still see that the status of the computers (online/offline) is not updated properly.  When I turn on a computer or turn off a computer the Backup tab see's their status properly but the WOL tab does not seem to update properly so its hard to tell the status.

Can this be tied into the backup status to get a real time view of it?

Evangelos - just as a follow up to this comment. I'm experiencing the same thing, but in your earlier version with the detect MAC address option, I could force it to detect the current status by attempting to find the MAC address. Now that you are grabbing this via the registry, there appears to be no manual way to force it to check the online/offline status anymore.

Wonderful add-in though by the way.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Will WHS incorporate these bits in the next release or perhaps the final release?

Rufus Roper

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Great add-in! I installed using the new msi file, allready had the earlier version installed. The installer worked fine, but apparently did not overwrite the original files. When I opened the console, no refresh button. I un-installed via the console add-in tab, and re-installed(again via the console) and the new version with refresh button works fine now. I love it! A request/suggestion. It would be nice to be able to access the server itself by remote desktop from the console, I find myself going to the server by remote desktop from my workstation quite often. I don't know if it is possible to add the server to the WOL tab?
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:53 PM
  •  Got it .

Let you know how it works

i know you did this before but can you post how to shut down A VISTA PC again. No problem with XP but cannot seem to get Vista to shut off.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:16 PM
  • Cool! Downloaded and installed it today (May 18th). So far works without problems.

Now...(repeating other requests made earlier, but...): can you please make it also the other way round: wake-up WHS from any Client with an extension of the tray icon application! That would be the ultimate solution. Not only I, but I think many other people feel pretty uneasy about their WHS running day and night - when it's actually only needed during a fraction of the day...   

Thanks

JoeKleine

Friday, May 18, 2007 8:46 PM
  • dude wanted to test  out your add-in but the Guest1 Geust1  account not working

for Wol plugin
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Downloaded and installed this today with no problem...the new MSI works great! All I had to do was install it and reboot...I'm looking forward to testing this option after I confirm that all of my computers have WOL enabled!
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Double check the post. The username is Guest1, the password is Guest! (exclamation point), I believe.
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:11 AM
  • Sorry, the password is Guest1! (note the exclamation point)
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:11 AM
  •  The shutdown feature as I mentiond before worked fine when targeting  PC running XP and I had no luck with PC running Vista.

Had I used half a brain I would have remembered that VISTA's "Administrator" is disabled by default.

So the instruction is the same as for XP - make sure the "admin" account has the same password as WHS. Just turn on the admin account.

From a management of PC on the home network this is an excellent ADD-In. thanks again .

Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:39 PM
  • Thx !!!  
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Very nice.  It has been downloaded, installed and briefly looked at.  This week it will be taken through it paces to see if my systems experience any issues / problems.  Is there anything I should know about the msi up front, like issues you have noted?
    Monday, May 21, 2007 1:09 AM
  • I downloaded it
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Since replacing the earlier version with the MSI based one, I've had a "phantom" machine appear in the list. It shows as greyed out, with no computer name, IP address, unknown MAC and as Offline. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 8:04 AM
  • @hitekalex:

May be there is an active firewall on the XP machine?

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:02 AM
  •  amarsh wrote:
    Since replacing the earlier version with the MSI based one, I've had a "phantom" machine appear in the list. It shows as greyed out, with no computer name, IP address, unknown MAC and as Offline. Any ideas?

Can you please browse to this section of your registry:

Try to understand what is going on. Do you see the record of the phantom pc? What is the value of Joined key?

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT WITH THE REGISTRY.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:32 PM
  • That's great. Nice usage of a guest account too!

Many thanks.

Barny

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:35 PM
  • Hi Evangelos Hadjichristodoulou,

Is there any way to change the default listening port on the rdp? I have one machine that is not on 3389. Thanks 

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:30 AM

Can you please browse to this section of your registry:

Try to understand what is going on. Do you see the record of the phantom pc? What is the value of Joined key?

PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE CONFIDENT WITH THE REGISTRY.

No there are only entries for the four real PC's in there, all of which are shown as Joined "Yes"

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:59 AM
  • To add to the the wake functionality (and perhaps it is me or the way I have things setup), but once my Vista Ultimate PC goes into an S2 sleep mode, I cannot wake it again.  Is there something I am missing here or what?

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:43 PM
  • Great add-in, BUT..I get a firewall error when trying to close or wake up a pc. Is this a Windows firewall thing or is it maybe my router? I have seen others having this error. How did you solve it. I would really like this add-in to work properly. Thanks..
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:59 PM
  • Thanks! - downloaded, installed, tab visible, etc.  All the machines are on, so I haven't had a chance to test yet.  I use WOL all the time in small office settings, so I'm familiar with most of the issues that can arise--looking forward to using this.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:54 PM
  • A real nice msi.

Friday, May 25, 2007 5:18 AM
  • Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner...  It seems to have sorted itself out.

What you said is correct, I removed the computer from CNB and it was still listed in the WOL tab.  However, the server rebooted itself after an update and the redundant entry disappeared.  So I'm happy enough.

I'll have to try the new version now, though, and see how it all gets on.

Incidentally, has anyone got any ideas how to boot a PC which is connected wirelessly?  All my PCs at home, except one, are connected wirelessly and I'm not sure of the best way to get them to wake up.  I guess I could just install Vista on them all and get them to go into hybrid sleep, rather than completely off, but I don't want to invest so much time on something which might still give me issues.

Friday, May 25, 2007 11:37 AM
  • I download it, well done.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Downloaded   Thanks
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:59 AM
  • First off, I must say that this is a great add-in and the functionality is great, but I'm still having one minor problem.

For my WOL enabled machines, waking them up works perfectly - but I can't shut them down the same way. I get the "Authorization Error" window whenever I try to do this. All systems have permission to see each other and the server, and they're all logged in  with the same account. I've tried disabling the firewall (Sunbelt Kerio 4) on the target machines with no luck.

When I try to run the SHUTDOWN command locally on these machines, I also get a permissions error.

3 of the 5 machines behind the server run XP Pro SP2 (one is a laptop that is not affected by this), one runs XP MCE, and one runs XP64.

What am I missing here?

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:14 PM
  • Try activating the administrator account on your client computers using the same password you are using on the server
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Hi 1ne,

I was trying out to figure out a way to do what you requested about variants of existing commands.

What I developed is a dynamic command definition.

Look at the Settings tab. Add the relevant parameters (<COMPUTERNAME>: port).

Let me know if you managed.

This goes to all who have asked similar questions like restart (-r)

Later,

Evangelos

Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:43 PM
  • Downloaded - will try it over the weekend...
    Friday, June 1, 2007 12:40 PM
  • Thanks again--downloaded the new version--will try it later tonight.

Saturday, June 2, 2007 11:32 PM
  • Downloaded
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 8:11 AM
  •  "I downloaded it"...
    Monday, June 4, 2007 6:00 PM
  • GREAT!!!! 

Installation on Server : ok!!

Test tomorrow,  tired now!!!!

Monday, June 4, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Just downloaded it, and It looks great!  One thought, could you add the ability to specify a time for wake-up to occur?

Thanks!

Dave

Monday, June 4, 2007 8:40 PM
  • Thanks Angelo, I have downloaded it and will try it soon.  I'm going to try it with Standby first; if that does not work, I will try with Hibernate, since I prefer to keep my home desktop computer on 24/7.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP, Shell/User

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 3:33 AM
  • I Downloaded it....Great Work!

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 5:57 AM
  • This Add-in you created really comes in handy. Thank you.

-Ric
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 6:10 PM
  • I downloaded it...

And it works like a charm!

One thing I would like to add is a command to put a remote computer to sleep (S3, instead of a shutdown) does anybody have an idea about this?

Cheers,

Danee

Friday, June 8, 2007 9:24 AM
  • Thankyou for a great addin, Evangelos.

Have you had a look at InitiateSystemShutdown()?

See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/En-US/library/aa376873.aspx

It's an alternative to shutdown.exe.

Cheers,

paulyb.

Friday, June 8, 2007 4:26 PM
  •  Hi Evangelos,

Downloaded, installed, and work ...

After configure bios and NIC card on OS, and give autorisation on firewall on each Computer (2 laptop, one desktop)...

But only if the computer are Ethernet connected, Wireless not working in my case!!!!!!!

I know why!!! Simply because in sleep or hibernate status, the 2 laptop make the wireless NIC power off!!!

And I fond no way to change this, maybe one hardware limitation from manufacturer.....

And maybe another one problem I have, since I install the WOL (4 days), the WHS don't make the automatic backup from one laptop, only one!!!

The other laptop and desktop continue to be automated backup... 

I uninstall WOL tonight and I will see tomorow how it's working...

In all case, you make a great job !!!

Thanks

Barbatruc

Friday, June 8, 2007 6:03 PM
  • I downloaded it
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 5:44 AM
  • UPDATED: I added a script how to enable pass-through of WMI scripting on the Windows Firewall (see step 2)

I figured out how to put a client computer to standby:

Some things to make sure:

- The Administrator Password on the client must match the Home Server Console password.

- Windows Firewall will NOT allow this network traffic when it runs default!

- Scripts below will run unmodified ONLY if the example paths are used.

- The setting Enable Hibernation on the Hibernate tab in the powersettings will determine if the system is put to Hibernation or put to standby.

- I've tested this only with XP MCE!

Step 1:

Create a folder called scripts on the C: drive of the client computer.

In that folder create a new text file called sleep.vbs (make sure it is NOT a .txt file!)

Open that file with notepad and copy the code below in it:

Code Snippet

On Error Resume Next

Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    objShell.Run "%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState"

Step 2

On the Client computer create another new file (name doesn't mather as long as it ends with .vbs) and open it in Notepad. Paste the following code into it:

Code Snippet

Set objFirewall = CreateObject("HNetCfg.FwMgr")

Set objPolicy = objFirewall.LocalPolicy.CurrentProfile

Set objAdminSettings = objPolicy.RemoteAdminSettings

objAdminSettings.Enabled = TRUE

(source: http://blogs.msdn.com/gstemp/archive/2004/04/30/124015.aspx)

This script needs to be run only once to configure the Windows Firewall to let remote WMI scripting through, the file can be deleted after executing it. 

Step 3

On the Client computer uncheck the Enable Hibernation checkbox on the Hibernate tab in the powersettings if desired.

Step 4

On the Windows Home Server in the C:\Windows folder create a text file called remotesleep.vbs (Again, make sure it is NOT a .txt file)

(The file can be created in a different location, but since the C:\Windows folder is in the path string it is easier to configure the Wake on Lan add-in)

Open it with Notepad and past the code below in it:

Code Snippet

Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments

strComputer = objArgs(0)

On error resume next

Set objWMIService = GetObject ("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2:Win32_Process")

if Err.Number <> 0 then

result = msgbox("Could not put " & strComputer & " to sleep:" & vbcrlf & Err.Description,0,"Put to sleep encountered an error!")
      Error.clear
    else

result = objWMIService.Create ("cscript c:\scripts\sleep.vbs", null, null, intProcessID)
      if Err.Number <> 0 then

result = msgbox("Could not put " & strComputer & " to sleep:" & vbcrlf & Err.Description,0,"Put to sleep encountered an error!")
       Error.clear
      else

result = msgbox("Sleep command sent to " & strComputer,0,"Put to sleep")
      end if
    end if

Step 5

In the Windows Home Server Console go to Settings and select Wake on Lan

Add the following information to a new line in the grid on the right side:

Code Snippet
    Put to sleep | remotesleep.vbs | <IPADDRESS>

Step 6

Shut down the Windows Home Server Console and restart it.

If you now go to the Wake on Lan tab and right click a computer you will see your newly created Put to sleep command!

Hope this is usefull, If you know of an easier way to set it up, please post it here!

Cheers,

Danee

Monday, June 11, 2007 8:10 PM
  • Thanks mate!

Wonderful piece of kit, using it almost every day!

Best regards,

Loekm (netherlands)

Monday, June 11, 2007 10:26 PM
  • Alternativly you can download PsShutdown from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/psshutdown.mspx and use it with

-d for suspend or -h for hibernate.

Danee wrote:

UPDATED: I added a script how to enable pass-through of WMI scripting on the Windows Firewall (see step 2)

I figured out how to put a client computer to standby:

Some things to make sure:

- The Administrator Password on the client must match the Home Server Console password.

- Windows Firewall will NOT allow this network traffic when it runs default!

- Scripts below will run unmodified ONLY if the example paths are used.

- The setting Enable Hibernation on the Hibernate tab in the powersettings will determine if the system is put to Hibernation or put to standby.

- I've tested this only with XP MCE!

Step 1:

Create a folder called scripts on the C: drive of the client computer.

In that folder create a new text file called sleep.vbs (make sure it is NOT a .txt file!)

Open that file with notepad and copy the code below in it:

Code Snippet

On Error Resume Next

Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    objShell.Run "%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState"

Step 2

On the Client computer create another new file (name doesn't mather as long as it ends with .vbs) and open it in Notepad. Paste the following code into it:

Code Snippet

Set objFirewall = CreateObject("HNetCfg.FwMgr")

Set objPolicy = objFirewall.LocalPolicy.CurrentProfile

Set objAdminSettings = objPolicy.RemoteAdminSettings

objAdminSettings.Enabled = TRUE

(source: http://blogs.msdn.com/gstemp/archive/2004/04/30/124015.aspx)

This script needs to be run only once to configure the Windows Firewall to let remote WMI scripting through, the file can be deleted after executing it. 

Step 3

On the Client computer uncheck the Enable Hibernation checkbox on the Hibernate tab in the powersettings if desired.

Step 4

On the Windows Home Server in the C:\Windows folder create a text file called remotesleep.vbs (Again, make sure it is NOT a .txt file)

(The file can be created in a different location, but since the C:\Windows folder is in the path string it is easier to configure the Wake on Lan add-in)

Open it with Notepad and past the code below in it:

Code Snippet

Set objArgs = WScript.Arguments

strComputer = objArgs(0)

On error resume next

Set objWMIService = GetObject ("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2:Win32_Process")

if Err.Number <> 0 then

Error.clear
    else

result = objWMIService.Create ("cscript c:\scripts\sleep.vbs", null, null, intProcessID)
      if Err.Number <> 0 then

Error.clear
      else

result = msgbox("Sleep command sent to " & strComputer,0,"Put to sleep")
      end if
    end if

Step 5

In the Windows Home Server Console go to Settings and select Wake on Lan

Add the following information to a new line in the grid on the right side:

Code Snippet
    Put to sleep | remotesleep.vbs | <IPADDRESS>

Step 6

Shut down the Windows Home Server Console and restart it.

If you now go to the Wake on Lan tab and right click a computer you will see your newly created Put to sleep command!

Hope this is usefull, If you know of an easier way to set it up, please post it here!

Cheers,

Danee

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Yeah, I have experimented with PSshutdown, but it didn't put my remote computers to sleep in a 'clean' way.

When I put them to sleep while playing Live TV (all my clients are Media Centers) at wake up the machine would always have 'Signal loss errors' and I had to reboot it.

Some other times I had lost the eHome reciever driver, or the sound driver. I have this problem only when I put them to sleep using PSShutdown, so I decided to abandon it.

With the scripts I wrote have no problems at all, it puts my systems to sleep in a clean way.

Cheers,

Danee

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:55 AM
  • This add-in sounds great, but the download site has been down for a while, most likely due to the RC upgrade. Are any alternate download sites available? Thanks!
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:59 AM
  • This sounds exactly what I am looking for, download site is down though any alternatives ?
    Friday, June 15, 2007 12:49 PM
  • im also looking for a download... i can upload to a dedicated web server if someone wants?
    Friday, June 15, 2007 11:48 PM
  • I would like to obtain this add on but when ever I try to go to the site I don't get anything.  Would someone be so kind as to email me the install for this addin? 

can email to chandto@gmail.com

thank you in advance and thanks to the author of the add-in for sharing.

Charles

Saturday, June 16, 2007 5:27 AM
  • Site is up and running now.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:23 AM
  •  MadDog986 wrote:
    im also looking for a download... i can upload to a dedicated web server if someone wants?

I am considring this senario.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:56 AM
  • Thanks! I got it.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 12:36 PM
  • Downloaded, I like it... but i can do it from my router allready *except shutdown, sleep, etc* really nice all the same!!
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:31 AM
  • Thank You! Great Tool.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:03 AM
  • I do not like to access my rooter from the Internet when I am outside my house.

With the add-in you can logon to your site using livenode.com and then access your home server through computers.

From there on you can start WOL/ shtdown etc.

I also provided the dynamic command option (available in the settings section) where you can write your own administrative commands.

I know that a good fellow in the forum has already provided the means to do hybernate/sleep etc.

But as I am sure you understand the possibilities (if one considers PowerShell) for administrating clients are endless.

Shane K wrote:
    Downloaded, I like it... but i can do it from my router allready *except shutdown, sleep, etc* really nice all the same!!

Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:29 AM
  • I downloaded it...
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 3:18 PM
  • I can get shutdown to work on Vista if I disable the firewall.  However if you set up an exception for "Remote Administration" in the firewall settings, shutdown will work with firewall enabled.

This is a very useful piece of software!
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:53 AM
  •  

i cant connect to the server.

Is this file available anywhere else?

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:10 AM
  • I downloaded it.

thanks

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:52 AM
  • Downloaded and tested -- it's great!  Can't wait for that automated wakeup and shutdown for the backup period.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:28 PM
  • I got it now, thank you very much.  I appreciate you sharing that, I will install it tonight.

Thanks

Charles

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:01 PM
  • Downloaded - awesome

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:10 PM
  • Downloaded, will test tonight.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:43 PM
  • Great add-in but one minor bug that I'm sure will get fixed, hopefully before WHS is released.  After deleting a computer from the Computers & Backup tab, the computer is not removed from the WOL tab.  Instead it is greyed out with a blank computer name, no IP address, and "unknown MAC."  This has happened to me multiple times and the registry does not show these entries under "clients."  I CANNOT figure out how to remove them from the WOL tab; ever after I uninstall, reboot, re-install, reboot, they still appear.  Is there some file somewhere where this information is stored?  Like I said, I looked in the registry location you referenced and they are not there.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 2:31 AM
  • Nice feature, thx

Monday, June 25, 2007 4:26 PM
  • I downloaded it.   Installs beautifully.  Great job!
    Monday, June 25, 2007 10:17 PM
  • When using the CTP, I was running an older version of the WOL Add-in, and it worked great, since then I've upgraded to the RC (also upgrading to the new WOL Add-in) and also put Trend Micro PC-Cillin on a client machine. Now I am unable to wake my machine using the WOL add-in. Any thoughts on how to get this great add-in working again ??
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:16 AM
  • The add-in does not wake up my PC, the NIC does light up my switch and shows activity. Question, can my PC be plugged into another switch not directly connected to the WHS server?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Deleted
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Hey

Cool addin. Smile

I can't get remote shutdown to work though.

I have an admin account on the remote machine with has the same name and password as the comp I'm connecting from.

Also the password on WHS is the same as above.

However..I haven't created a new use account on WHS...not sure if I have to.

I did read this guide:

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/xp-media-center-2005-software/4867-instructions-remote-shutdown.html

I tried shutdown - i, and through that I initiated a remote restart., but it doesn't work within the addin.

One thing to note is that WHS is in english and my computers are in Swedish.

And on them the Admin group uses it's swedish name. But it still has Admin rights.

[Update]

Appearantly you can't add user accounts to the server. Suspected that.

So how is the user account + password supposed to be able to be the same on Client and Remoted comp?

Also, I used Remote Desktop and connected to WHS, and through that used "shutdown" command...didn't work. It said:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>shutdown -i
    mediacenter: The entered computer name is not valid. Check the name and then try
     again or contact your system administrator.(53)

However when I run it from my main comp it works..so appearantly my WHS doesn't have the rights. Since I can't change the name of the Admin account nor create a new one..what do I do?

[Update 2]

Ok, I fixed it.

I created the account "Administrator" on the remote machine. (before that the Admin account had the swedish spelling)

I did do that on my xp machine too earlier though and didn't work.

Gotta look into the settings. Tried so many different things.

Not to mention I had to try on another machine cause the xp machine is busy now.. Stick out tongue

Also noticed I can change the Admin name in WHS through "Control userpasswords2", but I'll just do it like this til there's a swedish version of WHS.. Smile

Anyway, leaving this post in case anyone may be helped by it.

Oh, and could you add an option to go to standby? The Shutdown command doesn't support it appearantly. (maybe you can't add it then either.)

A tip..this command executes standby:

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 (confirmed)
    And this hiberbate:

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState (not confirmed)

Is it possible for WHS to be in standby and wake up to do backups?

I mean..Media Centers can program a wake-up to do recordings.

/Joakim

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:03 AM
  • Hi Evangelos,

I've been using your great add-in for some time now and i'm very happy with it.

But somehow someting went wrong and I have a problem with it now.

The MACAddress of one of my machines (a Mac Mini running XP MCE which as 3 mac adresses, lan, wlan and bluetooth) no longer shows on the Wake On Lan tab, and every time that tab is refreshed I get the error: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

The trouble with this is that the error also appears when starting the console (can see this when using a regular RDP session or logon to the console) and when a remote connection is made (either through the website or a connector) the connection can't be made due to a time-out (I suspect the messagbox that isn't visible causes this)

The machine is wireless connected to my network and my network health is ok, backups have never failed and playing dvr-ms files to the machine works without a glitch.

I've tried connecting a cable to it, but that made no difference.

If you need more information, just ask.

Cheers,

Danee

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:19 AM
  • Well, found the problem, think it's save to say its a bug, maybe even multiple bugs.

It seems that the Wol Add-in enumerates the Guids in  hklm\software\microsoft\windows home server\transport\clients

In this keys information about the connected computers are stored, but somehow an incomplete key was created (Bug1 ? I certainly did not add more than the 3 systems I have connected now, I do have a laptop with which I occasionaly connect to the WHS through RDP)

The add-in tries to read the MacAddress value from every Guid found without checking if the MacAddress value exisits resulting in the 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' error (Bug 2)

The WHS Console can not be opened on a client system when a messagebox is shown at startup (Bug 3)

Here's some screenshots of how it looked on my machine, I fixed the problems I had by deleting the incomplete entry.

http://www.mcesoft.nl/images/entry1.png

http://www.mcesoft.nl/images/entry2.png The incorrect one that I deleted

http://www.mcesoft.nl/images/entry3.png

http://www.mcesoft.nl/images/entry4.png

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Danee

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:52 PM
  • I downloaded it!
    Monday, July 2, 2007 12:41 AM
  • Mine shows 2 computers under the Recovery and Backup tab, 2 folders under the "hklm\software\microsoft\windows home server\transport\client" key and 5 computers under the WOL tab, 3 of which have the blank name, IP, and unknown MAC address.  Any word on the source code being posted?  I'd like to look into what is going on...  Where is it getting this extra information from?  Perhaps there is a client counter somewhere that is not getting decremented when a computer is removed??
    Monday, July 2, 2007 4:01 AM
  •  geoff39 wrote:
    Mine shows 2 computers under the Recovery and Backup tab, 2 folders under the "hklm\software\microsoft\windows home server\transport\client" key and 5 computers under the WOL tab, 3 of which have the blank name, IP, and unknown MAC address.  Any word on the source code being posted?  I'd like to look into what is going on...  Where is it getting this extra information from?  Perhaps there is a client counter somewhere that is not getting decremented when a computer is removed??

Check the folder on the WHS that stores the back up .dat files

on my server "Ghost" PC are represented by a GUID entry in   D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on the WHS. 

Monday, July 2, 2007 2:29 PM
  • Download it, works fine.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:18 PM
  • I downloaded it.  Very nice indeed!
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Thank you Rouza!  I navigated to that folder and deleted the appropriate "computers" and files assiciated with them (very cautiously).  I then got a red "possible database consistancy problem" and ended up having to delete all of my backups to make the network green again which was not a big deal for me but hopefully by RTM, MS will fully clean up the mess when a computer is deleted.

Thanks again, just the info I was looking for.  Also of course, learning from this source code would be fantastic.

Got this from another post on how to do the manual cleanup, thanks SME.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Sometimes the Network will go red and report critical, in the console, and the details will say,
    "Backup server error"

"A possible database consistency problem has been detected in the backup database."

As others have noticed you can run a manual backup, mark it for deletion and then manually run "cleanup now" which, if successful will reset the error.

However, as some have posted, sometimes the cleanup fails, as it just sits doing nothing, and here's how to fix it if nothing else works:

(NOTE: you will lose all backups)
    1) Exit then uninstall the connector sw on the client(s)
    2) RDP to the desktop and run the Windows Home Server Console
    3) In the computers and backups section, remove the client(s) (this will claim to delete the backups but it wont)
    4) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    5) Manually delete all files
    6) Reboot WHS
    7) Log back into the WHS Console and select Settings - Backups then run "Cleanup Now" (this will reset the error)
    8) Navigate to \\YOURSERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software
    9) Run setup.exe to reinstall the connector software
    10) From the connector console select Configure Backup for each client installed.

Done.

Hope that helps...

Friday, July 6, 2007 12:17 AM
  • I will look into the reported problems of phantom pc entries...
    Friday, July 6, 2007 11:21 AM
  • I have downloaded the add-in and at first got the same issue as others have reported with firewall and access errors. I am pleased to say that I have overcome this by changing the administrator password on the client machine. I am now able to wake up and shutdown without any problems.

Thanks for the add-in I can rest in peace that the backups are running whilst I am asleep! 

Saturday, July 7, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Wow, what a great idea for an Add-In.  I have a suggestion for improving the functionality. I use the PSSHUTDOWN utility from Mark Russinovich and added "Standby" and "Hibernate" functions to your add-in.  I want to pass credentials, but I don't want to include the credentials in the command line parameters.

Example: PSSHUTDOWN.EXE -h -m \\<IPADDRESS> -t 20 -m "System is going to hibernate in 20 seconds..." -c  -u "AccountName" -p "AccountPwd"

Can you possibly add a space for impersonating a user account that has the required privileges on PC being shutdown, etc.? You can invoke the command with this account and it would eliminate the need to pass account information in the command-line parameters.  Thanks!  
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 9:50 PM
  • I downloaded it
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 1:31 AM
  •  geoff39 wrote:

Thank you Rouza!  I navigated to that folder and deleted the appropriate "computers" and files assiciated with them (very cautiously).  I then got a red "possible database consistancy problem" and ended up having to delete all of my backups to make the network green again which was not a big deal for me but hopefully by RTM, MS will fully clean up the mess when a computer is deleted.

Thanks again, just the info I was looking for.  Also of course, learning from this source code would be fantastic.

Got this from another post on how to do the manual cleanup, thanks SME.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Sometimes the Network will go red and report critical, in the console, and the details will say,
    "Backup server error"

"A possible database consistency problem has been detected in the backup database."

As others have noticed you can run a manual backup, mark it for deletion and then manually run "cleanup now" which, if successful will reset the error.

However, as some have posted, sometimes the cleanup fails, as it just sits doing nothing, and here's how to fix it if nothing else works:

(NOTE: you will lose all backups)
    1) Exit then uninstall the connector sw on the client(s)
    2) RDP to the desktop and run the Windows Home Server Console
    3) In the computers and backups section, remove the client(s) (this will claim to delete the backups but it wont)
    4) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    5) Manually delete all files
    6) Reboot WHS
    7) Log back into the WHS Console and select Settings - Backups then run "Cleanup Now" (this will reset the error)
    8) Navigate to \\YOURSERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software
    9) Run setup.exe to reinstall the connector software
    10) From the connector console select Configure Backup for each client installed.

Done.

Hope that helps...

Geoff39

It is possible to remove the "Ghost" PC entries without

1. uninstalling /reinstalling the connector software on all your clients
    2. or losing all your back ups.

Each PC is identified by in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

1. a GUID
    2. and the back ups are identified by PC name

You can match "GUID" to PC name by looking in the "Registry"--[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients\

or look in this folder-

D:\folders\{378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276}  and look in the .reg file

GHOST PC will not have a registry entry

Just delete the entries that refer to the "Ghost" and reboot the server

There might be a utility you can run on the "clients" to get the "Guid"  maybe some one can tell us.

Just be carefull with which guid you delete.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 11:01 AM
  • Thanks to the many comments in this thread, I have been able to get this utility "wake-up" and shut down my client PCs from the WHS console.  Does this utility automatically wake up client PCs based on the backup-up schedule?  If so, that piece is not working for me.  Thanks...

Does this utility "automatically" wake up and shut down the client PCs based on the backup schedule??

Monday, July 9, 2007 1:27 PM
  • I've broken it! I tried to add an additional command to the Shutdown.exe command but b*******d it up. I get an error when I start the WHS console that says:

The value for column commands in table "Commands" is DBnull folowed by a lot of similar errors. I've tried uninstalling & re-installing the add-in but without success & I've also rebooted WHS in between.

How can I recover from this?

Monday, July 9, 2007 1:55 PM
  • I can't seem to get into your server.  I get a " Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage "

Error.  It may be livenode, as I have checked other servers too.

anyone else notice this, or have it avail somewhere else to DL from?

Ryan

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:35 AM
  • The easiest way to "fix" such issues is to delete the file:

WolComputeInformation.xml

under your windows home server directory (default location: C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server).

Please note that any custom commands you have created will be lost.

BTW the server is up and running so I am not sure why some people are unable to connect.

Please make sure that you accept the private ssl certificate.

Later,

Angelo

Keefb wrote:

I've broken it! I tried to add an additional command to the Shutdown.exe command but b*******d it up. I get an error when I start the WHS console that says:

The value for column commands in table "Commands" is DBnull folowed by a lot of similar errors. I've tried uninstalling & re-installing the add-in but without success & I've also rebooted WHS in between.

How can I recover from this?

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:37 PM
  • I'm not sure what to tell ya about not being able to access it.

This is what address I am using

https://angelo.livenode.com/

I've tried it without the secure connection as well

http://angelo.livenode.com/

and I get the same response.  Is there anyway else to get the file to install?

Thanks,

Ryan

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 4:45 PM
  •  Ryan Marchini wrote:

I'm not sure what to tell ya about not being able to access it.

This is what address I am using

https://angelo.livenode.com/

I've tried it without the secure connection as well

http://angelo.livenode.com/

and I get the same response.  Is there anyway else to get the file to install?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan

take a good look at the password

Username:  Guest1

Password:   Guest1!

It works. The ADD-IN and the link to get it.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Unfortunately, I don't get that far.  I am unable to pull up the site at all.  I tried both IE7 and firefox

not sure what it is, if it's my dns at my isp, or what, but I get the can't display webpage error.

maybe it's livenode that is down, or something???

I take it others have accessed it in the last 12 hours?

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 5:18 PM
  • This is exactly what I want to do, startup my Media Center computer downstairs from my workstation upstairs, as well as wake up my Home Server that will be in the basement.  Is there any sort of writeup that describes this whole topic, i.e. Wake On Lan (WOL), as implemented by Microsoft in Windows?  My Home Server (IBM NetVista) does support WOL with a NIC with a WOL cable to the pins o the motherboard.  My Dell Optiplex GX110 has WOL built into the onboard NIC.  I've searched Microsoft for anything written about this topic and find nothing.   The Dell userguide implies that simply accessing the Dell should cause it to wakeup from standby but that doesn't seem to work,  and I find in the Control Panel->Network Connections an option to permit the NIC to wake the computer from Standby ... but how?  I would love to read about how all this is supposed to work and also find out why apparently add-in code is required.  Any tips for a source for documentation will be greatly appreciated.  I think this will be a very hot topic for home networks. 

I don't want the computers on all the time and would love to be able to configure them to turn on automatically.  My Dell should be able to wake up from a shut down with a "magic packet" and it would be great if sending magic packets  were available on command.  There are utilities available for sending "magic packets" and I suppose I could write some scripts that would wake up my various computers whenever I boot my workstation but it would be perfect if this could be done simply by referencing the computer by trying to access a file on it etc.  What are the differences for waking up from Standby, Hibernate, and Shutdown?  More questions.

I will try this add-in and continue to gather notes on the general topic though I hope someone has already written this topic up.  I have not done remote management in an IT setting so all this WOL stuff may be old hat for system administrators. 

note the copy from the Dell User guide below fyi.  Eric Lewis

Table 2. NDIS 5.0 Driver With ACPI Enabled

System Setup—
    Remote Wake Up Off
    Windows 98 OS Windows 98 SE OS Windows 2000 OS
    Wake from standby (S1)—Magic Packet No Yes Yes
    Wake from standby (S1)—PBM No Yes Yes
    Wake from shutdown (S5)—Magic Packet No No No
    Wake from shutdown (S5)—PBM No No No
    System Setup—
    Remote Wake Up On
    Windows 98 OS Windows 98 SE OS Windows 2000 OS
    Wake from standby (S1)—Magic Packet No Yes Yes
    Wake from standby (S1)—PBM No Yes Yes
    Wake from shutdown (S5)—Magic Packet Yes Yes Yes
    Wake from shutdown (S5)—PBM No No No
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:11 PM
  • XP Home does not support Remote Desktop operation, this is almost the only difference between XP Pro and Home, at least that I know of, the idea was that you would remotely access your work computer from home, not the home computer from work.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:34 PM
  • this thing works beautifully!!!  i was at a hotel this past weekend 600 miles away and was able to turn on my desktop at home to grab some files...every feature worked flawlessly, even the shutdown...i love it...thanks for the work getting this thing going, this is the type of thing that should be integrated into WHS from Microsoft...oh yeah...while i was away from home i snapped some pictures, logged into my wife's computer and put them on the desktop, when she logged back on they were there, she was impressed  Smile
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:43 AM
  • the link dosen't work. Alternative link?
    And yes i tried it, it really don't work for me. In IE & FF.
    Cheers
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Hi all,

This sounds like the perfect add-in for WHS however unable to get to the website to download it just get an error that IE cannot  display the webpage.

Tried from both home and at work and still no joy, would anybody be so kind as to e-mail me a copy? Or post an alternative link

Cheers,

Alan

Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:52 PM
  • i wan't to download it as soon as i find the link Tongue Tied
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:57 PM
  • I have downloaded and tested this add-in.  It worked well for me.  I love it.  No problems with the web site on download.

I have discovered that all three of the XP machines I plan to backup with WHS (apparently I won't be able to backup my Windows 2003 Enterprise server that is part of my Visual Studio Enterprise Edition suite  ... please note this requirement ... ) have WOL technology.

One big question and I think someone else commented on this also.

Can your web site xxx.livenode.com issue a magic packet to the home server if the server does not respond (i.e. is turned off?)  Then wait five minutes and try to launch the console again?

I really want to be able to travel, access my home computers by first turning them on, check room temperatures, perhaps view a few ethernet cameras, maybe access some shared files on the WHS (my music files for example)  Then turn the whole thing off.  Add a button to turn off the WHS to the console.

As I sort through all this WOL and other stuff I think this should be doable, I could purchase a Magic Packet application to keep on my laptop but I don't have a permanent tcp address with a URL so would love to be able to use the livenode.com web site instead.

This would be a very compelling reason for WHS in homes whose owners worry about the energy use of computers left on for weeks at a time and doing nothing.  (At least those who are retired and travel South during the winter)   Going Green is good politics and also often good business as well!

Eric Lewis

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:22 PM
  •  erlewis wrote:

I have downloaded and tested this add-in.  It worked well for me.  I love it.  No problems with the web site on download.

I have discovered that all three of the XP machines I plan to backup with WHS (apparently I won't be able to backup my Windows 2003 Enterprise server that is part of my Visual Studio Enterprise Edition suite  ... please note this requirement ... ) have WOL technology.

One big question and I think someone else commented on this also.

Can your web site xxx.livenode.com issue a magic packet to the home server if the server does not respond (i.e. is turned off?)  Then wait five minutes and try to launch the console again?

I really want to be able to travel, access my home computers by first turning them on, check room temperatures, perhaps view a few ethernet cameras, maybe access some shared files on the WHS (my music files for example)  Then turn the whole thing off.  Add a button to turn off the WHS to the console.

As I sort through all this WOL and other stuff I think this should be doable, I could purchase a Magic Packet application to keep on my laptop but I don't have a permanent tcp address with a URL so would love to be able to use the livenode.com web site instead.

This would be a very compelling reason for WHS in homes whose owners worry about the energy use of computers left on for weeks at a time and doing nothing.  (At least those who are retired and travel South during the winter)   Going Green is good politics and also often good business as well!

Eric Lewis

Have you downloaded this recently? Since my last post tried a third different location to try and access the website from and still had no luck, I can only assume that the server is down at the moment..... Unless you have just downloaded the add-in?

Some of my post seem to go missing there......It is possible to send a magic packet over the internet. It seems to be dependant on your router and its ability to handle subnet directed broadcasts (if i remember correctly). My previous linksys router allowed me to do wake on wan but my new netgear router does not Sad

There's some info here that might be of use: http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/ They've also got a webpage allowing you to issue the magic packet directly to your computers assuming you know your internet ip address.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:01 PM
  • dl aint working

anyone got an mirror?

or should microsoft make a add-in site so people can up there just like the widgets on vista

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:39 PM
  • When was the last time anybody has been able to access the website to download the add-in?

I am still having no success Sad I am however able to ping angelo.livenode.com and receive a response, which would suggest the server is up and running............

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:09 PM
  • I have just accessed the file and downloaded it.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Server is now up and running...

I was abroad with no means to WOL the server. Ironic isn't it?

Let me see what I can do about that!!!

Later,

Evangelos

Saturday, July 14, 2007 6:31 AM
  • Evangelos,

Just downloaded the plugin it and its fantastic!

Many Thanks

Mike

Friday, July 20, 2007 6:41 AM
  • I've been using you WOL Add-in for two week and wish to add my THANKS to the long list which will continue to grow!

Friday, July 20, 2007 7:03 AM
  • Downloaded
    Friday, July 20, 2007 2:16 PM
  • I downloaded it!

This is awesome!

Vik

Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:23 AM
  • I downloaded it. Thanks!
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:09 AM
  •  Ryan Marchini wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't get that far. I am unable to pull up the site at all. I tried both IE7 and firefox

not sure what it is, if it's my dns at my isp, or what, but I get the can't display webpage error.

Have the same problem  Tongue Tied
    Is there another way to get the ADD-IN?

Regards randeX
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 4:44 PM
  •  Ryan Marchini wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't get that far. I am unable to pull up the site at all. I tried both IE7 and firefox

Have the same problem Tongue Tied
    Is there another way to download this ADD-IN?
    Sunday, July 22, 2007 4:51 PM