'Other Folder' in back-up RRS feed

• Question

•  

My previous subscription took one cd.  But now I notice that the 'Other Folder' is quite large and I have checked what's in it to determine if I can remove it from the backup plan.  Problem is that I have no idea what I'm looking at?   My concern is if what's in the Other Folder is destrimental to restoring if I were to lose everything.  In other words are the files captured in this folder important.   I have a the operating cd as well as all hardware cd's and only want to backup my documents and important settings.

I can't seem to figure out what the Other folder files are or relate to.  Can anyone tell me if these are important?

thank you

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:16 PM

Answers

• What you are referring to is that there is a selection for file types of "Other" in the default backup plan and, yes, this can be a whole lot of files.

If you go to Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us and type Backup File Types in the search box, you will get a result that explains the details of the different categories.

For Other, the explanation is not all that helpful -

This includes:

• File types that aren't included in the list of excluded file types
    • File types that aren't in one of the other categories

My recommendation is to go to your backup plan and change it to un-select everything except for the "Other" category. Once it scans your computer and presents you with the list of files and locations that are being backed up, you can scroll the rather extensive list and determine if any of the files listed are data files that you care about.

If there are files shown that you do want to back up, but many others that you don't want to backup, you can Exclude folders or specific files from being backed up.

Once you have determined if you even want to back any of the "Other" files up, place check marks next to the File types you *do* want to backup and Save the plan after it scans, updates the list or cancel the change completely to leave it as it was.

-steve 

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:30 PM

All replies

• What you are referring to is that there is a selection for file types of "Other" in the default backup plan and, yes, this can be a whole lot of files.

If you go to Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us and type Backup File Types in the search box, you will get a result that explains the details of the different categories.

For Other, the explanation is not all that helpful -

This includes:

• File types that aren't included in the list of excluded file types
    • File types that aren't in one of the other categories

My recommendation is to go to your backup plan and change it to un-select everything except for the "Other" category. Once it scans your computer and presents you with the list of files and locations that are being backed up, you can scroll the rather extensive list and determine if any of the files listed are data files that you care about.

If there are files shown that you do want to back up, but many others that you don't want to backup, you can Exclude folders or specific files from being backed up.

Once you have determined if you even want to back any of the "Other" files up, place check marks next to the File types you *do* want to backup and Save the plan after it scans, updates the list or cancel the change completely to leave it as it was.

-steve 

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:30 PM
  • After that lengthy reply, it occurred to me that the simple answer is that if you are only concerned about your document files, then go ahead and un-select Other and review the results list to confirm that the files you are concerned about are being backed up. Save the new plan and you'll be backing up a smaller amount if files.

If you need to restore the PC, the documents and other file types you've selected (financial, pictures, email, etc.) can be restored after you set the PC back to factory defaults using the recovery CD and reinstall OneCare. You would need to reinstall any programs that were not installed by the factory and you will need to update the OS and any programs once again.

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:34 PM
  • thank you, i will try this just to see what's in there.  Your right I'm only concerned with data files and the explanation for the 'other folder' didn't really explain if there were operating files or settings that maybe important to restoring.  I'm new at this.

Appreciate your answer.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 7:12 AM