NForce 4 support? 70 processes & 50% ram usage on clean install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I was trying the Windows Home Server v1 before and then I decided to try Vail.

WHS v1 ran great.  It only ran around 40 processes and it never used much ram at all.

Vail seems to run with 70 processes and uses 50% of my ram just at idle.

My system:

AMD x2 4400+ 939 socket 2.2ghz

Asus A8N-SLI Premium  Nforce 4

2gb DDR 1 400mhz

EVGA Geforce 210 Passive Cooler

160gb WD Sata

200gb Seagate Sata

Is Vail going to run better in the full version? Is there a reason the unit is running with so many resources being used at idle along with so many processes?

Should I just stick with WhS1 because Nforce 4 boards are still supported?  I do love the newer window 7ish look of Vail though.

Thank you

Sunday, August 15, 2010 12:51 AM

All replies

• Metrics like process counts and RAM used at idle are poor predictors of actual performance in modern operating systems, which intentionally cache data, and pre-load processes, to reduce response time when they're called for.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 2:34 AM
  • My CPU usage is often around 100% at idle as well. It eventually calms down. This is when I'm not backing up or streaming or doing updates.

Something just doesn't seem right. 70 also seems a bit ridiculous, modern or not.  My Windows 7 box never gets higher than 55.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:57 PM
  • First off, it seems you're a little bit light in the drive area.

Although my WHS Vail is used solely for keeping my main and the various beta computers backed up, I have a 1 TB and a 500 GB (I think) on Vail. I built the server that way so I wouldn't have to upgrade once Vail RTMs.

I guess I'm not understanding your question, since as far as I'm concerned, my WHS is for one purpose only; to keep my computers backed up and my data safe. Why does it matter that there are more processes running in the 64 bit system than in the 32 bit system.

As far as whether Vail will be much better when it releases, who knows. StarFerret dropped my crystal ball and broke it. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"FoRealz" wrote in message news:d4f551c7-87ba-4a7f-a0c8-302d1ba43334@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hello all,

I was trying the Windows Home Server v1 before and then I decided to try Vail.

WHS v1 ran great.  It only ran around 40 processes and it never used much ram at all.

Vail seems to run with 70 processes and uses 50% of my ram just at idle.

My system:

AMD x2 4400+ 939 socket 2.2ghz
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium  Nforce 4
    2gb DDR 1 400mhz
    EVGA Geforce 210 Passive Cooler
    160gb WD Sata
    200gb Seagate Sata

Is Vail going to run better in the full version? Is there a reason the unit is running with so many resources being used at idle along with so many processes?

Should I just stick with WhS1 because Nforce 4 boards are still supported? I do love the newer window 7ish look of Vail though.

Thank you

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:47 PM
  • I'm light because I'm just testing and waiting for a good deal on a 2tb drive.

They just came out with a new build and apparently the requirements jumped up to 2gb, so that would explain the usage.  I'll give this one a shot and see.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:36 AM