none
Trapped in Quote Block RRS feed

Answers

• Also, AFAIK, without editing the HTML it is impossible to generate interleaved responses to different parts of a quoted post.

Actually you can use the same technique that you have to use in Answers (where there is no HTML editor to fall back on):  simply back out your changes to where they got absorbed by the closing blockquote, e.g. press Ctrl-z until you can press Ctrl-End and see your insertion point outside the quote.   FWIW I always add something non-blank at that point so I don't do it again without being aware of my mistake.  ; ) 

Anyway, once you have a full blockquote and some additional text to follow it, you can then press Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c to capture both.   Then press Ctrl-End again (JIC) and press Ctrl-v as many times as you think you will need to break apart what you have quoted.   After that it is simply a matter of deleting the irrelevant parts and leaving the part you want to refer to in a following comment.  Note also, if you had started a comment for the first part and had propagated that into your copies you would also want to replace it for each of the remaining sections.  Another variation that sometimes happens:  if you had deleted some of the material which should have been quoted you can always copy it again from the original and replace everything that is quoted with it.

FYI 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:39 AM

All replies

• If user edits a quote block, he/she may get trapped in it.

Yes, this is one of the many annoying things about the forum editor.

Also, AFAIK, without editing the HTML it is impossible to generate interleaved responses to different parts of a quoted post.

These and other mis-features of the forum editor were major reasons why I was an NNTP bridge user.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:44 AM
  • Yes, the posting window is doing the opposite to blowing wind in your face. It's ironic that when they redesigned the forum, they kept the piece that work worst of them all.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Also, AFAIK, without editing the HTML it is impossible to generate interleaved responses to different parts of a quoted post.

Actually you can use the same technique that you have to use in Answers (where there is no HTML editor to fall back on):  simply back out your changes to where they got absorbed by the closing blockquote, e.g. press Ctrl-z until you can press Ctrl-End and see your insertion point outside the quote.   FWIW I always add something non-blank at that point so I don't do it again without being aware of my mistake.  ; ) 

Anyway, once you have a full blockquote and some additional text to follow it, you can then press Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c to capture both.   Then press Ctrl-End again (JIC) and press Ctrl-v as many times as you think you will need to break apart what you have quoted.   After that it is simply a matter of deleting the irrelevant parts and leaving the part you want to refer to in a following comment.  Note also, if you had started a comment for the first part and had propagated that into your copies you would also want to replace it for each of the remaining sections.  Another variation that sometimes happens:  if you had deleted some of the material which should have been quoted you can always copy it again from the original and replace everything that is quoted with it.

FYI 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:39 AM