connector issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I am having issues with the WHS connector software, maybe? Just recently I have been unable to log on with the WHS connector, nor am I able to remote desktop into the server. Also Media Center Connector can not connect to the server. I can log on locally to the server, so it seems fine. I can log on through the xxxxxxxx.homeserver.com homepage and my webpage works fine as well. I have access to share drive from all clients, 5 machines total. 4 running Vista and I just installed Win7 RC on one of my laptops. I have reinstalled the WHS connector software on one machine with the same results. Also, I can not connect to the server:55000 address. I have rebooted the server several times with noe luck. So is this an issue with the server or connector? Please any help will be appreciated. -Steve-
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:01 PM

Answers

• thanks for the response. It helped me resolve the problem. I was able to ping with the IP address, but when I pinged with the name it gave me an outside ip address. This was caused by me having openDNS addresses in my router to use their DNS. Once I removes them, all worked as it should. Do you know a work around so I can use the openDNS addresses? If not, no big deal I just like the features they offer. Thanks -Steve-
    • Marked as answer by Skyjumper Saturday, July 11, 2009 4:41 PM
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi! I am having issues with the WHS connector software, maybe? Just recently I have been unable to log on with the WHS connector, nor am I able to remote desktop into the server. Also Media Center Connector can not connect to the server. I can log on locally to the server, so it seems fine. I can log on through the xxxxxxxx.homeserver.com homepage and my webpage works fine as well. I have access to share drive from all clients, 5 machines total. 4 running Vista and I just installed Win7 RC on one of my laptops. I have reinstalled the WHS connector software on one machine with the same results. Also, I can not connect to the server:55000 address. I have rebooted the server several times with noe luck. So is this an issue with the server or connector? Please any help will be appreciated. -Steve-

What is the exact error message you get when you try to open the Console?  Did you recently install any add-ins/apps on the server?  Are you able to ping the server, both by name and by IP address?
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:35 PM
  • thanks for the response. It helped me resolve the problem. I was able to ping with the IP address, but when I pinged with the name it gave me an outside ip address. This was caused by me having openDNS addresses in my router to use their DNS. Once I removes them, all worked as it should. Do you know a work around so I can use the openDNS addresses? If not, no big deal I just like the features they offer. Thanks -Steve-
    • Marked as answer by Skyjumper Saturday, July 11, 2009 4:41 PM
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 3:48 PM

OpenDNS definitely causes issues with WHS (since it doesn't follow standard Request for Comments, aka RFCs).  I personally don't use it (frankly, it sounds like too much of a headache from what I've seen on this forum :)  ).  You can try searching OpenDNS on this forum and see what you come up with.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:40 PM
  • This is what works for me:

1. Set the router to return the ISP's supplied DNS for clients' DHCP queries.

2. Set the router to reserve IP addresses for the server and each client.

3. Set each client to use OpenDNS for DNS and not what DHCP returns.

4. Add entries to the HOSTS file for each client and server to match what the router assigns.

This gives me full access to WHS, uses OpenDNS for external addresses, and lets the restore CD work properly.
    Don
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:35 PM