none
HPC Cluster Manager - Email Notifications RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up email notifications for cluster jobs though the HPC Cluster Manager -  Job Scheduler Configuration menu. When I try to validate the server I get the error "Unable to contact the specified SMTP server, please verify that the server name is correct and the server is currently online."

I have tried using gmail servers, 1and1.com servers and register.com servers and I receive that error each time. I can use the internet on that computer and log in through the browser to the gmail account. I have also tried with the SSL box checked and unchecked. The port required for 1and1 is 25 and register.com also works with port 25.

I use the full account@domain.com as the account name.

The Originating Address is the same as the account name.

The "Apply and Send Test E-mail" button fails to send the email to the specified email address even though the job it scheduled ran properly.

I would like to get this to work with any of the SMTP servers.

Daniel Kasierer
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Which version of Windows HPC Server are you using? Before SP3 server validation button was just pinging specified host to verify, that it exists. In SP3 we improved this funtionality to also verify, that SMTP service is running on the host. I tried to validate 'smtp.live.com' and 'smtp.gmail.com' it worked for me, so I suspect that you may have some firewall/network connectivity issues with either ping or with reaching specified server at port 25 from your network location.

Email notification feature of Windows HPC Scheduler was designed mainly for use with Microsoft Exchange server located in cluster's domain, therefore you may expect some issues, while using with different implementation of SMTP server. One example of such issue is the format in which username is send to the server. Even if you specify it as user@domain right now it will be converted to domain\user format, which may not be correctly recognized by the destination. If you are not using '@' character in sender account's username, this should work fine. We are currently working on a fix for this issue and I'll let you know if it becomes available.

Regards,
    Łukasz

Monday, December 5, 2011 9:42 PM