Managing solutions with update rollup13 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

I have a Microsoft Dynamics CRM server with UR6 and 20 solutions in it.

I have another fresh CRM Installation. I want UR13 and those 20 solutions in this.

So, I need to install UR13 first, then import solutions or vice-versa??

Thanks in Advance.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have not test this myself, but I think exporting solutions from a UR 6 and importing in UR 13 could cause error in import. However I could suggest you two solutions:

1- To install the UR13 on the server and then manually export and import the solutions.

2- Furthermore, if you want to migrate data you could use a better way to copy both solutions and data. Detach the tables from the SQL. Copy the files to the new environment, and then attach it. Then, import the organization using Deployment administration.

My Weblog | My Website

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Hi,

Solutions can be managed or unmanaged:

For managed solution, you may have to go back to the provider for an update of the UR 13. Then import into the new env.

For unmanaged solution, you can upgrade the exist server to UR 13 then export and import.

If you want the data to be migrated, I think you can upgrade to UR 13 and export and impor the org.

If you directly export the solution in UR6 and import to UR 13, I think you may face lots of errors. UR 13 changes UI a lot, so if your customization has lots of UI script, you may need to do test and modification before you import. It may not work under UR13.

Thanks.

Wilson.

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I have not test this myself, but I think exporting solutions from a UR 6 and importing in UR 13 could cause error in import. However I could suggest you two solutions:

1- To install the UR13 on the server and then manually export and import the solutions.

2- Furthermore, if you want to migrate data you could use a better way to copy both solutions and data. Detach the tables from the SQL. Copy the files to the new environment, and then attach it. Then, import the organization using Deployment administration.

My Weblog | My Website

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Hi Payman,

What if i import solutions first and then run UR13??

Tanu Goyal

Friday, July 12, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

I guess if you do not install the UR13, your solution imports may fail.

My Weblog | My Website

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Hi,

Solutions can be managed or unmanaged:

For managed solution, you may have to go back to the provider for an update of the UR 13. Then import into the new env.

For unmanaged solution, you can upgrade the exist server to UR 13 then export and import.

If you want the data to be migrated, I think you can upgrade to UR 13 and export and impor the org.

If you directly export the solution in UR6 and import to UR 13, I think you may face lots of errors. UR 13 changes UI a lot, so if your customization has lots of UI script, you may need to do test and modification before you import. It may not work under UR13.

Thanks.

Wilson.

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Hi Wilson,

Thankyou for the reply.

What should be the sequence for importing solutions? Either managed solutions should be imported first or unmanaged?

Tanu Goyal

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Hi Tanu,

You should import the managed one first, in case you have any customization based on any of the managed solution imported entity.

Wilson

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:25 AM