File transfer performance - how to improve?? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have ideas on how to improve (or at least make more consistent) network transfer speeds to/from the WHS?

I've got a relatively complex gigabit home network with 5 pc's (3 Vista sp1, 2 XP sp3) , 2 Netgear gigabit routers, a media center  and a WHS (pp2) attached to one of the routers in the attic. I consistently see 20-30mb/sec in pc-to-pc file transfers. However, transfers to/from my WHS vary wildly, ranging from 3-30 mb/sec, apparently regardless from where the transfer is taking place. Most often, I see speeds of about 5-6 mb/sec but - on the occations when faster - speeds seem to hover around either 10-12mb/sec or 30-32 mb/sec. I've not been able to find any "external" causes correlating with the slowdown of the WHS file transfer speeds (such as other intensive network use, streaming media or even casual web browsing from the other computers.)

My WHS is a DIY OEM version with 6.86TB spread over 9 drives running on a 2GB, Athlon 64 x2 4800+, using the onboard Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 NIC. (what can I say, my kids are both into video editing for their media studies GCSE's [UK school exams])

Thanks!
    Ozzie
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:04 PM

Answers