changing IE 6 to 7 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I did this a few weeks ago with tech help and need to do it again. Some how they had me go into the registry I think it was and replace a 6 for a 7 and that made the Yellow icon status go green in Onecare. I don't want any IE updates yet but wanted an all clear  in Onecare. Anyone know how this is done agin please?
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:58 AM

Answers

• I've moved your post to the Tune-up topic folder.

You *must* update to IE7 in order to be secure and green in OneCare. IE6 has security issues that are resolved in IE7. Hacking the registry to make it appear that you are using IE7 is not supported or recommended. If you do not want to upgrade to IE7, then OneCare is not the appropriate security product for you.

-steve

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:59 PM

All replies

• I've moved your post to the Tune-up topic folder.

You *must* update to IE7 in order to be secure and green in OneCare. IE6 has security issues that are resolved in IE7. Hacking the registry to make it appear that you are using IE7 is not supported or recommended. If you do not want to upgrade to IE7, then OneCare is not the appropriate security product for you.

-steve

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:59 PM
  • to morqtrs4me;

'Changing IE6 to 7'

This is my question exactly. I hate "IE 7" and don't want it on my computer, I have XP and had all kinds of issues when I tried IE 7 so I went back to 6. I want my icon status green like it was in my trial version (with IE6).  I want to know how to change it so it will quit bugging me about it.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 3:12 AM
  • You can't.

OneCare requires that the PC have all critical and important updates applied. IE6 is insecure, hence an upgrade to IE7 is required for security reasons.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, December 29, 2008 1:33 PM
  • In other words, unless you want a different product, get used to the orange or red icon. Everything else works.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:30 AM