Problems Found "Fix" needed to Clear Print Queue. Status Yellow. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been getting a message that problems were found, yellow status, and the Fix button.

The fix is to clear the print queue, and if I follow the instructions and let OneCare do the fix, the status will turn green.

The problem is that I have not left any jobs in the print queue.  I have a Brother HL-2140 laser printer and a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop running Vista Home Premium.

I think I may have noticed a pattern.  If I shut the printer off while the computer is on, then later put the computer into sleep mode, when I awake the computer, I'm likely to be greeted with the clear print queue problem.

If I leave the printer on all the time (it has its own sleep function), and use the PC sleep mode, I don't seem to have the problem.  However, I'd rather power off the printer to save energy, and turn it on when I need it.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?  There aren't any jobs in the print queue, but it seems like powering off the printer causes OneCare to think so.

Monday, November 17, 2008 11:34 PM

All replies

• That's interesting. I just encountered that warning on a PC here yesterday and I know that there were no jobs sent to any printer from that PC in ages and ages.

I'll leave this thread open to see if we can get any more comments on this.

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:27 AM
  • I have the same problem.  It started immediately after I installed a new printer, HP J6480.   I've uninstalled and re-installed this HP J6480 printer probably 6 times now, hoping that it will stop this problem and hoping also that I can get the wireless connection on this printer to work.   I've been online and on telephone tech support with HP tech support twice, followed their instructions to the letter with HP tech support on the phone with me and even she gave up. 

So what happens now is that every time I print anything (and I'm on a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E laptop which I use at work and at home and have several different printers I print from), even my normal real print jobs get listed in the print que as if they never got printed, but they did get printed and the history of the print jobs is still there and then Live One Care says "problems detected on your computer", so I click and it gives me the error message saying I've got print jobs stuck in the que for a very long time, check your printer, etc. and click to let One Care fix, so I have to click each time and let One Care clear the que list even though none of those jobs is really stuck in the printer. 

Forgive me for saying so, but I actually hate HP these days.   I own several different HP printers in different locations and every time I buy a new HP printer the install for that printer tries to take global control over all the prior printers and it never works right.

So, is this primarily an HP install problem or is it Windows Live One Care not being compatible with the HP J6480 for some reason?  By the way, I have never yet succeeded in getting the HP J6480 to communicate wireless with my Sony Vaio.  I'll get it to communicate once, initially, and then for some reason, it repeatedly loses the IP address for this laptop even though there are no other laptops or other computers in the office where I have this HP J6480.   I've spent probably 20+ hours trying to fix the install on the HP J6480 with their tech support people and myself and finally gave up a few months ago and live with being hard wired to the HP J6480 when I need it.  Otherwise, at this location I use my old standby, an HP Laserjet 4050 at this location. 

I also have more than one user account if that means anything.

Basically then, I am left with clicking on Live One Care almost on a daily basis to clear the print que.   It doesn't make me exactly a happy camper.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

JP

JMP88
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Hi, JP.
    The problem is that OneCare sees this as a problem and notifies you. It can cause printing problems, but it can also be benign. Some people actually like to keep jobs in the queue.
    I don't know if your problem is specific to that printer driver or if there are settings for you to control this. However, you may want to check out this page for a little program that clears the queue for you:
    http://www.bradkovach.com/printflush/

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 22, 2009 1:52 AM